What the worst Dragon Ball game you played?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What the worst Dragon Ball game you played?

Post by super michael » Wed May 19, 2021 7:37 pm

I would like to hear what was the worst Dragon Ball that members has played.

In my opinion the worst Dragon Ball I played is either Dragon Ball GT Bout or Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22.
In Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22 some of the special attacks are so complex and long, that it is nearly impossible to pull their moves. Like an example SS1 Gotenks turning into SS3 Gotenks. Then the attack which beats who was crazy, Master Roshi Kamehameha beats SS3 Goku Kamehameha and there is no beam struggle.

In Dragon Ball GT Final Bout the character movement feels bad and the special attack is long that anyone can dodge it. There is a mode that you right enemies and your character levels up, however it is possible to make your character so strong that 1 simple hit kills your opponent on the hardest difficulty. You can make your defense and HP so high that no one can kill you if you leave the game running for days.

I heard Dragon Ball Saga was bad, but that game never got localized to Europe.

I remember flying was bad and landing was bad, I can't remember which one it was.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: What the worst Dragon Ball game you played?

Post by Tian » Wed May 19, 2021 7:54 pm

super michael wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:37 pm I heard Dragon Ball Saga was bad, but that game never got localized to Europe.
I think you dodged a bullet there. I once played Sagas with my older brother in co-op mode and we really hated it. In fact, I recall my brother said "Hey [Tian], what a shitty game, wasn't it?" when we were done with Cell.

So yeah, not really worth of playing.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed May 19, 2021 8:25 pm

They made a GBA version of the Dragon Ball Z card game from that era. It was almost unplayable with how buggy it was so I'll say that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Sagas is pretty bad and the first Legacy of Goku game is bland and tedious. I’ve never played some of the other notoriously bad games, like Ultimate Battle 22, Taiketsu or the Kinect game, so I can’t comment on them.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed May 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu is hilariously horrible. #18 butt rockets and all.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:08 pm

As a kid, I loved Ultimate Battle 27/b] and Final Bout. They're horrible, but when you're a kid in the midst of a Dragon Ball craze and those are the only games you have and you know that nobody you know has played them, it tends to skew your opinion.

Sagas, though, was absolutely unplayable for me. I never got past the first level because I found the controls and overall feel of the game to be horrible. I was very impressed with the opening cutscene, though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:46 am

Taiketsu is probably the bottom of the barrel of DB video games. The DBZ TCG on the GBA was terrible too for having a bad soundtrack and no tutorial mode on how to play the card game. At least the Yu-Gi-Oh games on the GBA teach you on how to play the game if you never played the actual card game before.

The worst DB game from Japan would be Ultimate Battle 22. It has a great soundtrack, but the gameplay is awful in my opinon. Final Bout is pretty bad, but my nostalgia for it makes me like it a bit more than most bad DB games. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible game, but the game was the holy grail for most casual fans. It was hard to find and playing it felt special when you were able to play it before anyone else did :D .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 am

Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2. It's loaded with characters (especially XV2) and DLC's (and it was great that game was released on PC too) but the gameplay is boring after a while.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu May 20, 2021 6:18 am

Trouser wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 am Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2. It's loaded with characters (especially XV2) and DLC's (and it was great that game was released on PC too) but the gameplay is boring after a while.
You should try the stinkers listed above lol

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu May 20, 2021 8:42 am

Trouser wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:28 am Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2. It's loaded with characters (especially XV2) and DLC's (and it was great that game was released on PC too) but the gameplay is boring after a while.
I enjoyed Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, however the new DLC Parallel quest spoils it. There are quest that you need your partner to be 50%, but your partner goes to the CPU and lose a lot of health. You can't stop your partner from going to the CPU and your partner doesn't transform or use ultimate attack or even block. So getting Ultimate Finish can be a pain along with getting skills and items are gotten with RNG. You can fight 100 times the mission and not get the skills.

In Xenoverse 1 it was worse, even if you do the condition to get Ultimate Finish, getting Ultimate Finish was RNG. Then to get some skills and item it was gotten by Ultimate Finish and it was RNG the skills and item, so basically it was double RNG. What was Namco Bandai thinking, they went overboard with RNG.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu May 20, 2021 10:07 am

The combos in final bout were so odd. You just press a few inputs and the combo is carried out for you automatically if it was an animation being played rather than you needing to press the inputs in time with when the previous move has ended or anything.

I loved the game as a kid but looking back, it was really bad.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Final Bout. Just playing it gives me a headache.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri May 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Beside already mentioned UB 22, Taiketsu and Sagas. From games i 've played:
Famicom: DBZ 2: Gekishin Freeza - Most boring of Famicom DBZ RPG trilogy, only one battle theme, less interesting content
Super Famicom: DBZ Super Butouden 3 - Lack of story mode
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri May 21, 2021 2:47 pm

It's a tossup between Ultimate Tenkaichi and Xenoverse, but I think Xenoverse takes the cake. With UT it was just the combat that urked me, it would have been a standard DB game otherwise. Xenoverse on the other hand has so many things wrong with it and after 5 years it's hardly changed. We don't even know if the developers are going to bring their A-game for the third installment.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

GrandpaFrieza123

Post by GrandpaFrieza123 » Sun May 23, 2021 4:33 am

Legacy of Goku, Final Bout, GT Transformation and Taiketsu
On his 18th birthday, Goku (Justin Chatwin) receives a mystical Dragonball as a gift from his grandfather. There are only six others like it in the whole world, and legend has it that whomever possesses all seven will be granted one perfect wish. When the arrival of a dark force triggers a tragedy, Goku and his companions (Chow Yun-Fat, Emmy Rossum) are propelled into an epic quest to collect the seven Dragonballs and save the Earth from destruction.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Do really badly made DB characters for MUGEN count?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:17 pm

For me it's a toss up between Sagas, Taiketsu and that TCG game. Each of those were mediocre to downright awful at points in their own ways.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:47 pm It's a tossup between Ultimate Tenkaichi and Xenoverse, but I think Xenoverse takes the cake. With UT it was just the combat that urked me, it would have been a standard DB game otherwise. Xenoverse on the other hand has so many things wrong with it and after 5 years it's hardly changed. We don't even know if the developers are going to bring their A-game for the third installment.
I'm going to play Xenoverse this weekend for the first time, but if you say it's even worse than Ultimate Tenkaichi, maybe I shouldn't play it at all. Because for me, Ultimate Tenkaichi is pure shit. I did not enjoy that game one single second.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 pm

I'm surprised to see people saying Xenoverse. I guess they haven't played the older ones. It's not the best but it's not terrible either. It was a much needed return to form for the games after Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z.

I'm going with Taiketsu. Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout have some redeeming qualities at least, like good music, rosters, and stages. I haven't touched Taiketsu since 2004, while I still play those others occasionally.
Thanos wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:47 pm Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu is hilariously horrible. #18 butt rockets and all.
I'd actually forgotten about the butt rockets. Absolute insanity :lol:.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:29 pm

The American DB games seem to be the major stinkers in the DB game library with LOG1, Sagas, Taiketsu, GT: Transformation, TCG, and DBZ for Kinect. LOG2&LOG3 are the only decent American DB games in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/