Dragon Ball: Budo Conference (2015)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Dragon Ball: Budo Conference (2015)

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm

Courtesy of Gaming Kraken, I've come across a title I've never heard of for an equally unknown platform. A Chinese toy company by the name of M&D released a low-end handheld video game console for kids called the Monon Color in October 2014. It has a Dragon Ball game called Budo Conference (七龙珠武道大会) that may or may not be officially licensed.

(I grabbed this ad off a Taobao listing)

It seems that at one point, the game was even bundled with the system:

Keen-eyed readers will notice the recycled assets, from the Advanced Adventure sprites to the box art lifting images from Bandai Namco's games and the manga.

That + its area of origin would raise concerns of this being an unofficial project, but there is footage of the game out there. The copyright line credits Bird Studio, Shueisha and Toei. The Manon Color also featured games based on Marvel, League of Legends and local properties. Was this an official product or one of the more brazen examples of China don't care?

Update: I've done some more digging and came across the company's old website. They have a page for it, suggesting the game launched in late 2015. I've also uncovered the trailer. Interestingly, there was a Digimon game planned for this platform that went unreleased. The company's site lists Toei as a business partner and says they have the official Digimon license. I guess this really was a legitimate release.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball: Budo Conference (2015)

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Interesting find, thanks! It looks like this game could be some fun to try out.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:45 am

All of the Monon Color games were licensed in China. It's incredibly hard to find information in the west about it though, and I've been questing hard for one for my collection.

Isn't this just Advance Adventure with additional vs. mode characters?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:34 pm

Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:30 pm

The S wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:34 pm Here's some better looks at some screens
https://web.archive.org/web/20161014221 ... ail&aid=85
Footage: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1dQ4y1z7NW/
They had Oozaru in this game? Wonder what kinda sprite did he have :think:

Also that one sprite of Goku in the aura sphere seems to be new?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:10 pm

It *kind of* looks like an edit of Golden Ōzaru from GT: Transformation.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:23 am

Is the edit button gone? Did we ever have one and I'm just hallucinating? Anyway, emulation just got functional on this beast, albeit without music available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshnEXyufFw

I definitely need to track down the means to play this now, although I'm sure even for a long-defunct Chinese-only machine, it's still not something we'd be able to provide in this topic.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:14 am

I heard about this system and game through a TripleJump video on YouTube.

Bumping this thread in the hopes that it gets more attention, and ideally VegettoEX and co remember to include it on the Kanzenshuu wiki (if they haven't already).
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:56 am

While this is back at the top I'd just like to say that 大会 (たいかい ) can absolutely be "Conference" or "Gathering" it would probably be more in the spirit of DB to use one of the other translations like "competition," "tournament," or "contest."

Or, since your'e not translating the 武道 part of 武道大会 you could probably also just call it Budō​ Taikai.

I guess it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things. It's the middle of the night, I've finished my paperwork, and the word 大会 just caught my eye since that's what the training event I'm going to next month is called.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co