Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Microtransaction wise - there is already so much potential to include every single outfit/hairstyle Bulma has worn lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Dimps: We won't call Time Breakers "Time Breakers". / Also Dimps: How about we name this game, like... "The Breakers!?".

Yeah, I know "Time Breaker" isn't an official term but it's still the best one for them. A pity it hasn't been used yet.

Anyway, I don't know what to expect, but since it's a Dimps game, I'll be sure to at least keep an eye on it. It's already a plus that this game seemingly isn't another boring retelling (thank Dende!), so here we go.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Cool idea. I can't picture Freeza raiding cities without sending his goons to do it, but eh, it's a video game and he's popular so whatever.

The Androids and Goku Black would be perfect additions for this kind of concept.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:20 pm

I'm interested, but only because I like the villain characters, and a game where I can play them and blow stuff up always appealed to me in some way. Also, the settings are going to change with Freeza, and since we don't have humans besides Krillin and Bulma on Namek will the survivors be Namekians? Only time will tell, I will be watching closely.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Honestly I’m not mad about this I’m more intrigued than anything. I mean if we count only the console games and handheld games over the lifetime of the franchise Dragonball has released roughly 70+ games. A good percentage of them are fighting games. Hell, in the future games thread I wanted a DB racing game in the vein of Double Dash.

I’ll check it out
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:43 pm

I'm hyped, it's about time we got something other than a plain fighting/action game. I love both genres but Dragon Ball has so much more to offer in gameplay variety. A survival horror game themed around Cell's rampages makes too much sense (plus it's nice to have him be the star attraction). Also cool that there's now a more kid-friendly alternative to the slasher-themed games like Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th. This game probably won't have a long shelf life like some others, but conceptually, it's very neat. How many other DB games let you play as Bulma, Oolong and random civilians? I've been wanting that for ages!

Considering the recent Super arcs, it would be criminal not to have a mode simulating a Saiyan attack on a subjugated planet, whether it's Planet Plant or Planet Cereal.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:51 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:43 pm I'm hyped, it's about time we got something other than a plain fighting/action game. I love both genres but Dragon Ball has so much more to offer in gameplay variety. A survival horror game themed around Cell's rampages makes too much sense (plus it's nice to have him be the star attraction). Also cool that there's now a more kid-friendly alternative to the slasher-themed games like Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th. This game probably won't have a long shelf life like some others, but conceptually, it's very neat. How many other DB games let you play as Bulma, Oolong and random civilians? I've been wanting that for ages!

Considering the recent Super arcs, it would be criminal not to have a mode simulating a Saiyan attack on a subjugated planet, whether it's Planet Plant or Planet Cereal.
Maybe they could have a Vampa stage with those beetle things and green fur weasels chasing you and you can play as Cheelai or Lemo.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Been playing dead by daylight again after months, a lot recently since it's had huge sale and loads of family and be friends buying it during that. I love these type of games and I've been discussing these types of games and what we would like to see everything from star wars to DC comics I never thought about Dragonball as I couldn't imagine it

Just trailer , I NEED this in my life :lol:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm

It’s not my kind of game, it’s blatant trend-chasing and it looks incredibly jank. That said, credit to them for doing something nobody would have expected with the IP.

I think this is the upside of the Xenoverse 2 milking- they don’t need to keep pumping out arena fighters because that game covers it.

Vegerotto72

Post by Vegerotto72 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 am Image
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8h3C2spt4E
Official Website News: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_679.html

We're finally getting something, folks!
the things I'm worried about are the new player experience and balancing, there's a reason dead by daylight has succeeded where last year, evolve, home sweet home, and f13 have failed.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 pm

This is definitely a change of pace for the franchise, and I’m all for it.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:15 pm Dimps: We won't call Time Breakers "Time Breakers". / Also Dimps: How about we name this game, like... "The Breakers!?".
This has to be the worst subtitle for a Dragon Ball game yet (maybe tied with "for Kinect" or [s]Tenkaichi[/s] "Budokai Tenkaichi"?) "Dragon Ball: Breakers" would even sound passable, but the 'The' is just weird. Saying it loud, it doesn't work. What's that 'The' doing there?
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Just a big fat no on this one. I don't even see a point to it. Plus they're using OG characters, but no King Piccolo, no RRA chasing Bulma and co? Why do this if you're just going to ignore everything else about the OG era? No running from Commander Blue or Major Metallitron. No escaping King Piccolo and trying to keep the Dragon Balls from him so he can't get his youth back.

The only thing I can see this game as is a distraction from the fact there's no XV3 and that they're desperately trying to stay relevant.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm

Vegerotto72 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm the things I'm worried about are the new player experience and balancing, there's a reason dead by daylight has succeeded where last year, evolve, home sweet home, and f13 have failed.
Haven't played Evolve or Friday 13th, but DBD has a lot of balancing issues, starting with some killers being much stronger than others, ending on some perks being much stronger than others. That results in boredom at higher levels since people use the same few killers and the same few perks. Anyway, let's hope this game is well thought and one side isn't noticably stronger than the other (like Jason in Friday 13th from what i've heard).
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am I'm not gonna trash it before I play it but I hope this game is just a filler game to hold us over for a real game...hopefully.
This will likely be our AAA game of 2022. We get a new game once every two years now since 2016.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm

I'm both surprised by how different this game is and not surprised because this tracks with the same type of different they're going for in the upcoming cgi movie; both at first glance are Goku-lite and star unlikely characters.

I haven't played the game this is pulling inspiration from, but it's unusual enough where I'll keep tabs on it to see if it's something I'd be interested in.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm Just a big fat no on this one. I don't even see a point to it. Plus they're using OG characters, but no King Piccolo, no RRA chasing Bulma and co? Why do this if you're just going to ignore everything else about the OG era? No running from Commander Blue or Major Metallitron. No escaping King Piccolo and trying to keep the Dragon Balls from him so he can't get his youth back.

The only thing I can see this game as is a distraction from the fact there's no XV3 and that they're desperately trying to stay relevant.
I much prefer them doing something completely different, rather than giving us another Xenoverse or FighterZ game.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:35 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am I'm not gonna trash it before I play it but I hope this game is just a filler game to hold us over for a real game...hopefully.
This will likely be our AAA game of 2022. We get a new game once every two years now since 2016.
If that's the case this is really lazy. This is basically a XV2 add on/mini game.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:17 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm
But I thought that’s cause they had to optimize games for the switch? This seems to be coming to switch off the bat instead of the year after. 2023 we should get a new game.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:20 am

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm Just a big fat no on this one. I don't even see a point to it. Plus they're using OG characters, but no King Piccolo, no RRA chasing Bulma and co? Why do this if you're just going to ignore everything else about the OG era? No running from Commander Blue or Major Metallitron. No escaping King Piccolo and trying to keep the Dragon Balls from him so he can't get his youth back.

They said the starting characters & enemies are only the 1st wave and more will come as DLC. Other than DBFZ netcode do we really need a new game so soon. I’d rather avoid a remaster or rehash game of raditz to buu let them buy time with this game.