Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:05 pm

LightBing wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm I wonder if this was DLC for Xenoverse that grew into it's own game.
It feels like Bandai is buying time with this game . I don’t think we should be expecting anything new until the 40th anniversary or if PS5s become more available.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:17 am

No PS5 for this game? I really hope whatever game BN decides to put out for PS5 is quality. Hopefully they've been working on something since kakarot or before.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:31 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:17 am No PS5 for this game? I really hope whatever game BN decides to put out for PS5 is quality. Hopefully they've been working on something since kakarot or before.
Don't own one myself but aren't current Gen consoles backwards compatible anyway?

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:31 am
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:17 am No PS5 for this game? I really hope whatever game BN decides to put out for PS5 is quality. Hopefully they've been working on something since kakarot or before.
Don't own one myself but aren't current Gen consoles backwards compatible anyway?
They are. You can buy the game's last gen versions and continue to play them on the next gen ones if/when you get one and continue to play that at no additional cost with better performance.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:23 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:40 am
This will either bomb badly our be surprisingly fun, I don't see a middle ground.
It'll do both. most dragon ball fans complain about the constant stream of basically the same game from Sparking to Xenoverse but ignore any game that tries to do some different with the series.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:26 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm It’s not my kind of game, it’s blatant trend-chasing and it looks incredibly jank. That said, credit to them for doing something nobody would have expected with the IP.

I think this is the upside of the Xenoverse 2 milking- they don’t need to keep pumping out arena fighters because that game covers it.
Is it trend-chasing when the trend it's chasing isn't trending?
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 pm Meh, definitely skipping this one. Wasn't fan of Friday 13th, Predator or even the weird mixed online mode of Arkham Origins, hence won't be buying this game just because it is Dragon Ball and if it is online only, such concept will die fast with the online player base.

But interesting approach nonetheless, will definitely check it out.
Which is it, will you be skipping or checking out?

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:38 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 pm Just a big fat no on this one. I don't even see a point to it. Plus they're using OG characters, but no King Piccolo, no RRA chasing Bulma and co? Why do this if you're just going to ignore everything else about the OG era? No running from Commander Blue or Major Metallitron. No escaping King Piccolo and trying to keep the Dragon Balls from him so he can't get his youth back.

The only thing I can see this game as is a distraction from the fact there's no XV3 and that they're desperately trying to stay relevant.
I more than anyone can understand wishing original DB got more appearances in games, but when the game was announced I said something along the lines of "would make sense to have King Piccolo but they hate including anything pre-Z," and a friend of mine replied "bruh this game has playable Oolong," so I was like, "...yeah fair point."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:42 pm

Couple notes:

You can reply to multiple people within a single post. There's no need to make three posts in a row.

Don't make up a person to argue against. If an actual single real living breathing person is making contradictory statements, cool, call them out. If you just broadly gesture "FANS KEEP SAYING"... well, don't do that.

The game is already noted to have ongoing support post-launch. They're seemingly launching for now with Freeza, Cell, Boo. If the game has ongoing support, though, why wouldn't you expect to maybe possibly hear about another raider? Don't make up things to be angry about when it's only been announced for literal single days so far.

I don't care how budget it looks. It's not going to cost full price and it's going to be a blast to fuck around with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:42 pm
The game is already noted to have ongoing support post-launch. They're seemingly launching for now with Freeza, Cell, Boo.
I know this is probably the case, but I'm hoping we're both wrong. It's severely disappointing and almost a deal breaker to a game I'm already not too thrilled about. I don't understand why modern Dragon Ball games are so hesitant to include Super and GT content into its base game. Goku black and/or Zamasu would be perfect for this and now that the arc is long over I don't see any reason why they can't include them right at the start. Hopefully they'll be free, otherwise I can't see myself paying for content that should have been a part of the actual game.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:26 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm It’s not my kind of game, it’s blatant trend-chasing and it looks incredibly jank. That said, credit to them for doing something nobody would have expected with the IP.

I think this is the upside of the Xenoverse 2 milking- they don’t need to keep pumping out arena fighters because that game covers it.
Is it trend-chasing when the trend it's chasing isn't trending?
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 pm Meh, definitely skipping this one. Wasn't fan of Friday 13th, Predator or even the weird mixed online mode of Arkham Origins, hence won't be buying this game just because it is Dragon Ball and if it is online only, such concept will die fast with the online player base.

But interesting approach nonetheless, will definitely check it out.
Which is it, will you be skipping or checking out?
Skipping buying and playing but checking gameplay vids and reviews.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:11 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:20 pm
Yuji wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:31 am
They are. You can buy the game's last gen versions and continue to play them on the next gen ones if/when you get one and continue to play that at no additional cost with better performance.
That's part of the reason why there isn't a specific version for PS5. The other reason is Sony isn't very liked in Japan right now and this was demonstrated by the fact Microsoft sold a lot better in the land of the rising sun than Sony has. In fact the PS5 sold extremely poorly in Japan and many game devs are trying to just wait out their contracts with Sony so they can stop making games for their systems. There are a number of reasons for this. A major one being Sony's more ramped up censorship policies forcing developers to censor the game in development in order to appeal to a "global audience", which is pretty much just Silicone Valley.

Right now Elder Scrolls 6 was announced as a XBOX/PC exclusive. Which kinda tells you how Microsoft feels about their purchased IP's. Sony has made a lot of mistakes and continue to make decisions counter to the wants of consumers. It's unfortunate, but I don't see Sony making it through the next console generation. More things are moving to PC, which has every advantage.

Back to Breakers. Honestly it just doesn't seem worth the time. Wait six months and see how it goes. But beyond that, it's not really all that interesting.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am

Extreme_kai wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm Why must videogames ALWAYS be about DBZ? Are we ever getting a videogame focused mostly around DBS or...? Do people genuinely not get bored of every videogame always retelling the story/era of DBZ?

Wouldn't it be cooler if this videogame was about you and your ningen friend trying to run away from Black and Zamasu hunting you down? Or you and your friends from U10 trying to run away from Jiren in the ToP? :think:

And conversely you could play as Black/Zamasu and hunt down ningens, I've always wanted that kind of videogame :wink:

I understand that people are nostalgic about DBZ because they grew up with it yada yada yada, but seriously. The Future Trunks arc would be perfect for this videogame. It's literally about Black/Zamasu scouring the cities and hunting down humans, and humans running away and hiding from them. The first episode is literally Friday the 13th with Trunks and Black.
I agree with you. The idea of playing as Black/Zamasu and hunting down pathetic ningen sounds incredibly appealing to me. Imagine if you can fuse and become merged Zamasu? I'm a huge fan of Z villains, but Zamasu makes way more sense than Freeza running around randomly killing people, that's not really his M.O. Fingers crossed we get a Zero morals DLC.
Perhaps on the Freeza map, your team needs to gather the 7 dragonballs and make a wish or something, giving Freeza the context to destroy those getting in his way.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 am

The concept certainly seems unique within the confines of Dragon Ball games, but it's nothing I've seen done in other games and done better. I just can't shake the feeling that the game was basically assembled from the abandoned scraps of Xenoverse 2, from how visual design. It is nice to see Dragon Ball games trying something different, but just because you do something different doesn't make it good. You have to make sure you take that unique concept and execute it well.

I will keep an eye on this but I don't have high hopes.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:30 pm

Zelvin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:11 am The other reason is Sony isn't very liked in Japan right now and this was demonstrated by the fact Microsoft sold a lot better in the land of the rising sun than Sony has. In fact the PS5 sold extremely poorly in Japan and many game devs are trying to just wait out their contracts with Sony so they can stop making games for their systems.
I mean utmost respect with this. What are you talking about? The PS5 has already sold a million units in Japan by last month, Xbox Series X|S sold little over 100K in comparison. It also outpaced the sales of the PS4 in Japan from the same timeframe by about 2.5 weeks

And I ask the same regarding the bolded

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:30 pm I mean utmost respect with this. What are you talking about? The PS5 has already sold a million units in Japan by last month, Xbox Series X|S sold little over 100K in comparison. It also outpaced the sales of the PS4 in Japan from the same timeframe by about 2.5 weeks

And I ask the same regarding the bolded
Consider that the PS2 sold over 21million units in Japan. The PS3 sold over 8million. The PS4 has sold around 8million. The latter two taking 5-7yrs to achieve. Overall sales are down by more than half as the majority of gamers in Japan moved onto PC and Mobile games. Console gaming is largely on the way out. PS5 sold on hype and, largely, a number of units were bought by scalpers who quickly realized it wasn't as popular as they were hoping it'd be. Especially with Microsoft allowing crossplay.

It's also no secret that Sony has become more censorious over the years. Thanks mainly to them having moved their head offices to California. This started their decline. Such that the same titles aren't being censored on Xbox and/or Switch. And any that are have decensor patches for the PC version. Which makes them superior to the Sony version. This means fewer sales on the Playstation. And companies that bend to Sony's practices, like Marvelous, have been declining as a result of this. Which is sad to see given how enjoyed their games were.

There are many videos and articles discussing this. It is for these reasons that a number of companies are shying away from Sony. When you take away something the fans like, they stop giving you their money.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:25 am

I don't see the Sony star falling down anytime soon. PS5 is a success even with production setbacks, Sony even wants to launch a brand for PC.
Sure, as the graphics in videogames came visually really far on PS4, the PS5 doesn't look so impressive, as the major improvements now are in terms of lighting and physics not being scripted but happening in real time with such processing power that we have nowadays.
Also, check the launch titles on PS4 and what came later and now on the console, when they really started to push the HW.
Most of the games on PS5 now are basically enhanced PS4 titles with not much new games coming in, but wait a year and we will start to get new games that will start to take the most out of PS5 capabilities and will push the norm further.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am

Zelvin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:27 pm Consider that the PS2 sold over 21million units in Japan. The PS3 sold over 8million. The PS4 has sold around 8million. The latter two taking 5-7yrs to achieve. Overall sales are down by more than half as the majority of gamers in Japan moved onto PC and Mobile games. Console gaming is largely on the way out. PS5 sold on hype and, largely, a number of units were bought by scalpers who quickly realized it wasn't as popular as they were hoping it'd be. Especially with Microsoft allowing crossplay.

It's also no secret that Sony has become more censorious over the years. Thanks mainly to them having moved their head offices to California. This started their decline. Such that the same titles aren't being censored on Xbox and/or Switch. And any that are have decensor patches for the PC version. Which makes them superior to the Sony version. This means fewer sales on the Playstation. And companies that bend to Sony's practices, like Marvelous, have been declining as a result of this. Which is sad to see given how enjoyed their games were.

There are many videos and articles discussing this. It is for these reasons that a number of companies are shying away from Sony. When you take away something the fans like, they stop giving you their money.
This sounds suspiciously like you've fallen down a very specific anti-reality YouTube rabbit hole that is going to destroy you. All of that is complete exaggerated nonsense (out of context figures, one-off examples, misdirection, etc.) meant to get you angry and keep you angry. You can still get out. You have our support and best wishes.

Furthermore, it has little to do with the topic at hand (another strategy those kind like to use to distract and initiate the anger cycle). Please, please, please get out now while you still can, because this kind of nonsense and what it leads to will absolutely not be tolerated here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:19 pm

Frankly, the more they reveal, the more excited I get. I'm not sure I understand how one could be "angry" at this game, maybe disappointed or underwhelmed sure, but angry?

Dragon Ball feels in general like it's been trying to hit this transition for a few years now ( at least to me ) it's trying to grow. It's trying to move beyond the box it's known for with new movie plots, world building, and games. DBTB seems like the first step to make Dragon Ball expand, totally new mechanics and ambience, along with the returning DB Bulma and Oolong feels like they're targeting specifically fans that enjoy things besides Spikey Hair and hearing "Wow they're moving so fast I can't see" for the millionth time.

There's nothing wrong with liking those things, but you have to admit that maybe, just maybe, it's time for something new? The backlog on what fans love is so big, you could ignore DBTB and still have a ton to play.

Not to mention, Dragon Ball's fanbase is pretty contradictory, it seems like you're always hearing about how Great SSJ Goku vs. Freeza is, but then you see people talking about how great it was that Cell was presented as a horrifying slasher-esque villain. It's not like they're changing the story of the franchise a-la DC / Marvel, they're just trying something new, and I think it's about time they did it, and if it doesn't work out, there's still going to be a new game in 2023 anyways.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am

The Closed Beta for the games has been announced. It’ll be held on December 4 & 5, and it’s STEAM only.

You can apply here: https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games/dr ... e-breakers

The application deadline is 30th November.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 am

After seeing actual gameplay i can only say it looks as bad as i thought it'd be. Idea is pretty cool, but game looks extremely boring and controls seem akward.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta