Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 am

Here is more than 30 minutes of gameplay.

Yeah... this is rough to look at, but more damningly... it looks boring as sin. It's basically a poor man's version of Evolve.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 pm

Visually if Xenoverse 3 ends up looking like this I wouldn't mind BUT breakers looks really clunky as of now.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

Fifteen minutes seems too much, otherwise the game seems alright for what it is.

I wonder how they'll manage Freeza and Boo stages, Cell seems rather specific.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:42 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 am Here is more than 30 minutes of gameplay.

Yeah... this is rough to look at, but more damningly... it looks boring as sin. It's basically a poor man's version of Evolve.
I bet that this will be low priced cash-in minigame actually, something like Star Wars Squadrons (which looked and played awesome), with limited content, online support, maybe some cosmetic add-ins for like half a year, as I think that this game will die fast also.
But we will see, how many people will enjoy this for being a Dragon Ball and how many fans will be interested, who knows, as Dragon Ball is the only thing that makes the thing marketable.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:28 pm

I can't believe how bad it looks, I know F13 gets a lot of hate (don't really know why) but it's a 2017 game that looks way better than this 2021/22 game... this looks worse than Conton City from XV in PS3.

I don't care how fun it might be, I just can't bring myself, in 2022, to play a game that seems to have been developed in 2003. I rather just play an actual game from 2003.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 am Here is more than 30 minutes of gameplay.

Oh cock...it looks like a Wii game...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:16 pm

It looks like a glorified Xenoverse 2 mod to be honest.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:34 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:16 pm It looks like a glorified Xenoverse 2 mod to be honest.
I'd say more like a glorified Final Bout mod.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:35 am

Man, I was suprised how crappy it looks.
This was definitely given not a much treatment. The characters are clearly XV models, buildings probably too (with some inner skeletons for destruction look I see) put into vast area with tree models and texture. It looks bland, sad and like a fan made one-man show.

I wasn't interested at first mainly because I don't play these types of games and am more interested in single player adventures or survivals like Alien Isolation and sure, the reused models were clearly from XV in the promo, but those were polished pictures.
The area for gameplay is vast and now it shows that they were clearly in trouble with it.

I could see having them navigate streets and corners of West City for example and exploring buildings, being in constant fear that Cell might destroy the whole building you're in, after some time or go to hunt you inside specifically, Alien Isolation style.

But if what I saw gameplay is final version, wow that sucks hard.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 am

Assuming that this will be our AAA DB game of 2022, I would imagine they will release PS5 and Xbox Series X ports later in 2023. It's the pattern that Namco Bandai seems to be doing since 2016.

2016: Xenoverse 2
2017: XV2 for the Switch
2018: Fighterz
2019: Fighterz for the Switch
2020: DBZK
2021: DBZK for the Switch
2022: The Breakers
2023: The Breakers for PS5 and Xbox Series X
2024: New AAA DB game
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:37 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 am 2022: The Breakers
God please no, I hope there will be something else than this. It seems like a fun multiplayer game to relax and have some laughs with, but it doesn't come close near the AAA term. Not with these production values and overall concept.

They already said it will be cheaper than usual, so I'm expecting Bandai Namco to work on an actual secret "AAA" Dragon Ball game.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 am Assuming that this will be our AAA DB game of 2022, I would imagine they will release PS5 and Xbox Series X ports later in 2023. It's the pattern that Namco Bandai seems to be doing since 2016.

2024: The Breakers 2 :lol:

I'd be fine with an older game getting ported to newer systems like Budokai Tenkaichi or Raging Blast

but it's either this or Next-Gen Xenoverse 2 unfortunately

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:25 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 am Assuming that this will be our AAA DB game of 2022, I would imagine they will release PS5 and Xbox Series X ports later in 2023. It's the pattern that Namco Bandai seems to be doing since 2016.

2024: The Breakers 2 :lol:

I'd be fine with an older game getting ported to newer systems like Budokai Tenkaichi or Raging Blast

but it's either this or Next-Gen Xenoverse 2 unfortunately
More like Breakers season 2/3.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 pm

I love the set up of the in-game shop here.

Survivor: Send me something to defend mysel, I'm helpless!

Trunks: Would love to help you, but... We need to pay the bills somehow, so gotta give me that zeni or you can rot.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:05 pm

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:08 pm

I wonder if it will stay considering it's a Cell-only opening, but we know it's also supposed to have Frieza and Buu and maybe, hopefully, someone else too (Goku Black and Zamasu)

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:37 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:05 am 2022: The Breakers
God please no, I hope there will be something else than this. It seems like a fun multiplayer game to relax and have some laughs with, but it doesn't come close near the AAA term. Not with these production values and overall concept.

They already said it will be cheaper than usual, so I'm expecting Bandai Namco to work on an actual secret "AAA" Dragon Ball game.
I feel like Bandai has ran out of game ideas tbh which is sad cause with a little imagination you can make a fun interesting DB game. Idk if they are stalling for time or what but I hope they can comeback from this.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:12 am

From playing a few matches, and trying to remember how games like Dead By Daylight and Friday The 13th balanced the dynamic of Powerful Killer vs Weak, but resourceful survivor, my impression so far is that the game is fun to play, but the Raider feels too powerful. Like, I've won as the survivor, but that seemed to be more a combination of luck and the Raider Player not knowing what they're capable of yet. I've only had limited experience with the above two games, but from what I played, they balanced the power of the Raider by making their actions cost more time.

In Dead By Daylight, the killer can be stunned, the killer is slow enough that you have a chance to escape after being wounded (getting hit gives you a speed boost), the killer is restricted to running on the ground just like you so you can have obsticles in his way. He has to choose whether to go around the obsticle or undergo a time-consuming animation to get rid of the obsticle for good. The killer can only radar track the players when the player fucks up (you screw up on a quick time event, your objective is delayed and the killer is alerted to where you are). When they down you, you still have a chance to get a second wind because the killer has to not only get you to a specified kill spot to truly kill you (which depending on where you're attacked could be super close or far away), which gives you a window to struggle out of their hold or be saved, they have to ensure no one rescues you from the hook while you're on it. The killer has to make a decision between sticking by their current victim and giving the others time to finish their tasks or persuing the other players and leaving chance for someone to sneak by and save the victim.

In Breakers, the killer can fly, meaning they can cover much more distance and don't have to worry about manuvering around obstacles (especially because they can destroy most hiding spots with ease and no time sink); they're not losing you unless you're insanely lucky or pod away fast enough that the killer doesn't see where you land. They find you, you're pretty much dead. They hit you once, wait a few seconds for your shield to go down and then hit you again.

The items, at best, interrupt the raider's actions, but doesn't stun them much or slow them down. The rocket launcher just makes them flinch, he can easily go right back to what he's doing and if you're still annoying him, he can easily deal with you before anyone has a hope of reviving a downed player. Smoke screen is pointless because if the Raider is looking at you, they get a big circle over you to tell them where you are. The grapple is fun, but escape-wise isn't going to outpace the Raider. The real useful ability is the Pod that can land anywhere in the map. If players try to gang up on the raider, the best they do is annoy him. They don't have any way to effectly hold the raider down and the raider doesn't have to invest enough time in finishing players off for there to be any need to consider whether or not it's best to leave the downed player alone and hunt the others.

Best the survivors can hope for is to use the dragon balls or gather enough change power to become Goku and take the Raider on (as lesser levels of transformation can't really hurt or impede the Raider). Top it all off, the Raider has no trouble finding the players because as soon as they get their first transformation they have a player detecting ability that only has a 30 second cooldown. The Raider doesn't have any effective on-the-job decisions to make that give the Survivors a decent window to exploit
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Honestly, I think a lot of people are harping on this game unfairly, saying Bandai has run out of ideas is a pretty extreme statement to make considering that 90% of all Dragon ball games are fighting games.

The graphics really aren't that awful, especially when compared to Xenoverse. I think this is just another example of every single thing ever; New is bad, old is good. I'm not saying Breakers is gonna be a solid 10/10 but good god, it's not even out yet, and people are literally comparing it to Final Bout.

Maybe there's a reason Dragon Ball has followed the same status quo for 30+ years, fans won't give anything a chance.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 pm Honestly, I think a lot of people are harping on this game unfairly, saying Bandai has run out of ideas is a pretty extreme statement to make considering that 90% of all Dragon ball games are fighting games.

The graphics really aren't that awful, especially when compared to Xenoverse. I think this is just another example of every single thing ever; New is bad, old is good. I'm not saying Breakers is gonna be a solid 10/10 but good god, it's not even out yet, and people are literally comparing it to Final Bout.

Maybe there's a reason Dragon Ball has followed the same status quo for 30+ years, fans won't give anything a chance.
Wait? People are actually comparing this to final bout?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/