Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:34 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:17 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am I'm not gonna trash it before I play it but I hope this game is just a filler game to hold us over for a real game...hopefully.
This will likely be our AAA game of 2022. We get a new game once every two years now since 2016.
But I thought that’s cause they had to optimize games for the switch? This seems to be coming to switch off the bat instead of the year after. 2023 we should get a new game.
Or they could release it on the PS5 and Xbox Series X next year with better frame rates and faster loading times.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 am

This looks like a stupid amount of fun. So out of left field, too. The visuals are nothing special, but just the thought of frantically running away from Cell while playing as Oolong is fucking hilarious. I’m glad that we’re getting something very different.

I hope we get more weakling characters like the Pilaf Gang, Tenkaichi Budokai announcer and Mr Satan.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:52 am

I'm just happy to see Bulma and Oolong as playable characters in a Dragon Ball game. This looks quite interesting, and I'll keep my eye on it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 am

The response to this game on Twitter and YouTube makes me realize this franchise has two fan bases to appeal to. One side who will gladly eat up more of the same I.e Raditz to Buu Tenkaichi/Budokai 6,7,8, etc. The other side who wants more original and different style games.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 am

If the Farmer with a shotgun isn't a playable character I will riot.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 pm

Meh, definitely skipping this one. Wasn't fan of Friday 13th, Predator or even the weird mixed online mode of Arkham Origins, hence won't be buying this game just because it is Dragon Ball and if it is online only, such concept will die fast with the online player base.

But interesting approach nonetheless, will definitely check it out.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanos wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pmThis has to be the worst subtitle for a Dragon Ball game yet (maybe tied with "for Kinect" or [s]Tenkaichi[/s] "Budokai Tenkaichi"?) "Dragon Ball: Breakers" would even sound passable, but the 'The' is just weird. Saying it loud, it doesn't work. What's that 'The' doing there?
Well, I think it sounds a bit cool. Don't know if it's because I'm a foreigner. The worst subtitle gotta be "Kakarot", going off the top of my head. It's a bit weird to say it without any context like "The Tales of Kakarot" instead, or something like that. Just "Kakarot" seems something is missing.

Either that or "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z"...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Why must videogames ALWAYS be about DBZ? Are we ever getting a videogame focused mostly around DBS or...? Do people genuinely not get bored of every videogame always retelling the story/era of DBZ?

Wouldn't it be cooler if this videogame was about you and your ningen friend trying to run away from Black and Zamasu hunting you down? Or you and your friends from U10 trying to run away from Jiren in the ToP? :think:

And conversely you could play as Black/Zamasu and hunt down ningens, I've always wanted that kind of videogame :wink:

I understand that people are nostalgic about DBZ because they grew up with it yada yada yada, but seriously. The Future Trunks arc would be perfect for this videogame. It's literally about Black/Zamasu scouring the cities and hunting down humans, and humans running away and hiding from them. The first episode is literally Friday the 13th with Trunks and Black.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm Why must videogames ALWAYS be about DBZ? Are we ever getting a videogame focused mostly around DBS or...? Do people genuinely not get bored of every videogame always retelling the story/era of DBZ?

Wouldn't it be cooler if this videogame was about you and your ningen friend trying to run away from Black and Zamasu hunting you down? Or you and your friends from U10 trying to run away from Jiren in the ToP? :think:

And conversely you could play as Black/Zamasu and hunt down ningens, I've always wanted that kind of videogame :wink:

I understand that people are nostalgic about DBZ because they grew up with it yada yada yada, but seriously. The Future Trunks arc would be perfect for this videogame. It's literally about Black/Zamasu scouring the cities and hunting down humans, and humans running away and hiding from them. The first episode is literally Friday the 13th with Trunks and Black.
Sounds like something for a second wave. But to be honest... Dragon Ball Z is just the better series.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:58 pm

worldmonsters wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm Why must videogames ALWAYS be about DBZ? Are we ever getting a videogame focused mostly around DBS or...? Do people genuinely not get bored of every videogame always retelling the story/era of DBZ?

Sounds like something for a second wave. But to be honest... Dragon Ball Z is just the better series.
But even if it's better, don't people get bored that every videogame always retells the DBZ story arcs?

No doubt they'll include DBS content in DLCs for this videogame, like they did with Xenoverse, Kakarot, and Fighterz, but still.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm

I agree with you. The idea of playing as Black/Zamasu and hunting down pathetic ningen sounds incredibly appealing to me. Imagine if you can fuse and become merged Zamasu? I'm a huge fan of Z villains, but Zamasu makes way more sense than Freeza running around randomly killing people, that's not really his M.O. Fingers crossed we get a Zero morals DLC.

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm honestly interested by the idea. It's something different from the standard fighting games we get, which, don't get me wrong, are fun in their own right. Sometimes, you just gotta change it up and add something new to the lineup, ya know? I wasn't expecting a Dead by Daylight style game though.

Now I wonder, any speculation on potential Raiders or survivor characters? At least on the survivor end, we have OG Oolong and Bulma, so it's not just CaCs we're dealing with. Perhaps we'll see other weaker characters in the mix? As for Raiders... Hm... Goku Black sounds reasonable, although I'm not exactly sure what his schtick would be to separate him from the other Raiders. You always see different skills and gimmicks for each killer in these types of games.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm

I agree with you. The idea of playing as Black/Zamasu and hunting down pathetic ningen sounds incredibly appealing to me. Imagine if you can fuse and become merged Zamasu? I'm a huge fan of Z villains, but Zamasu makes way more sense than Freeza running around randomly killing people, that's not really his M.O. Fingers crossed we get a Zero morals DLC.
Yeah. It doesn't make sense for Frieza to be in this game because Frieza is an Emperor. His place is on the throne and he usually leaves the mundane tasks like hunting down stragglers to his soldiers. Indeed, we see at the end of the Broly movie that Frieza simply lets his soldiers kill whoever they find when they invade a planet, while he sits on his comfortable chair in the spaceship.

While Black and Zamasu personally hunted down every last mortal. We have several scenes of Black literally walking around the ruined city, just looking for any sign of survivors to kill.

There 100% has to be a Future Trunks DLC in the future.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:28 pm

With all the Z and overall, OG Dragon Ball content, always used even like 25+ years, makes me think that Super was really just a Zeitgeist that didn’t make bigger impact than GT with using the updated character forms and chars like Beerus, Zamasu, Black and Jiren just because they are the last thing in DB franchise. Z always.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Now this is the sort of thing I've wanted to see for a long while, something that genuinely surprises me. While there's a decent chance that this ends up falling flat, I'm happy to see something out-of-left field like this being tried every so often. I'm also always down for some love being shown to the pre-Z era.

I've been sorta curious about asymmetric multiplayer games like Dead by Daylight for a little bit, but I'm thinking this will be the one that I finally take the plunge on. Even if it's not very good, I'd bet it will still make for a good time with some friends.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Some boxart.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:13 pm

So this is like a lethal game of tag
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm

I wonder if this was DLC for Xenoverse that grew into it's own game.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm

LightBing wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm I wonder if this was DLC for Xenoverse that grew into it's own game.
I honestly think this is what happened(very lazy ). I think they are going to support XV2 till the PS6 :lol:
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm
LightBing wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm I wonder if this was DLC for Xenoverse that grew into it's own game.
I honestly think this is what happened(very lazy ). I think they are going to support XV2 till the PS6 :lol:
The models and assets, including maps are definitely from Xenoverse!