Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball: The Breakers (PS4/Switch/Xbox One/Steam)

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 am

I was able to get a closed beta code, will be trying it out tomorrow

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 am

I got a beta code as well but I indicated I had both a PS4 and a Switch on the survey and the code doesn't say which it's for.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 am I got a beta code as well but I indicated I had both a PS4 and a Switch on the survey and the code doesn't say which it's for.
Just try entering it either on Ps4 or switch, I'm sure it'll work for one of them

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:26 pm

I likewise got a code and will be playing/streaming this weekend. A little bummed that the first session doesn't start until roughly 10 pm eastern time over here tonight... I'm too old to only just be starting that late! Definitely have some action going tomorrow afternoon, though.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:26 pm

I signed up for a closed beta code on a lark as well, and much to my surprise, I got one - I'll be checking it out on Switch, though yeah, not entirely sure I'll be doing much with it tonight - I too am getting too old to do much with a game that late, I'm usually trying to sleep by the time it'll launch for my time zone. :lol:

Going to be interesting to see how this game goes though. I've never played any of these 'inverted survival' games or whatever they're called, but I've seen a handful of people playing the likes of Dead By Daylight and thought it looked fairly fun. I'm not much of an online gamer in general, but if this is fun I could definitely see myself hopping on it from time to time if I like it, so getting to check it out prior to having to buy it is a pretty good chance. Here's hoping it's fun.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 am

So from the little I've played:

I liked the Prologue/Tutorial, makes me think that we don't really get to interact with non-combatants that much (in Xenoverse).

After the Prologue, I opened the menu and I see an option called "Missions" so it seems that this game might have more story than we thought.

The Hub area, is on the outskirts of Conton City, it was leaked that there would be a way to enter Dragon Ball The Breakers via Xenoverse 2. Could they end up adding the Hub area into Xenoverse 2? It'd be interesting to have young Bulma and Oolong as NPCs in Xenoverse 2.

There is a summoning system in the game, this game is going to be microtransaction heavy. Other things you can buy are costumes, items, skills, stickers, vehicle skins and Raider voice lines.

Now for the actual gameplay: I played two matches with people that were like Level 10+, they must've been playing for awhile. The Raiders are extremely OP, if you can't hide from them, it's game over for you.

Haven't gotten to play as a Raider yet but after playing, I think I'll buy this game day one.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:33 am

So far I've had a relatively decent time with the game, but if I have one major complaint, it's this - the 'Practice' mode isn't really that practical. You have to wait for people to join you to practice, so basically, it's still an online match. Meaning if nobody else is looking to practice at that time, guess what - you can't practice either. That seems really, really impractical. It basically forces you to just jump into matches proper and figure things out on the fly, which while the game is rather simple in terms of what buttons do what, it's still not exactly the greatest way to figure out what you're doing. At least, it certainly doesn't seem to be in my experience thus far anyway.

That said though, the game itself does seem pretty fun, though probably not all that different from what you can get out of the likes of Dead By Daylight and other similar games. The Raiders are pretty OP (I've had to contend with Cell the most so far, but Freeza's also a BEAST when he's coming after you), and I'd like to give playing as one of them a go at least once, but it seems to be entirely random as to who's going to be what. On the one hand, that makes match-making a lot easier and more fair because you never know what you're gonna be. At the same time though, that makes leveling up or even getting used to how a Raider works almost impossible as well, given you only have one shot out of eight of playing as them (though I got a match earlier that only had six of us Survivors against one Raider somehow). This is again something that I think an actual practice mode you could do by yourself would help this game out greatly - either set up some AI survivors and Raider options so we can try to learn more of the basics there, or if not that, just set up similar things to what the Prologue taught us to let us learn how things function and what to do without an actual match going on around us.

I do like how customizable the characters are though, there's definitely a few things here I'd like to see carried over into a potential Xenoverse 3. The prices on some of the options are pretty insane though, and I can't imagine myself grinding away long enough to get everything - this is definitely a 'save up and buy what you actually really want' kind of game. All things told, I've enjoyed messing with it so far and may try to do some more later when it opens up again for another few hours. For now though, I think I've gotten about as good of an idea what the game is as I can.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:03 pm

Why does Breakers have such interesting customization?

https://twitter.com/JackCeck/status/155 ... 3Fpage%3D6

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:19 am

I have declined on signing to beta with this game, but looking forward to what will you guys have to say. That will be important.
I remember not being excited much by FighterZ back in the day and after playing the beta, I was blown away.
In the same rank, I have played beta for Guilty Gear Strive and was dissapointed.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:18 pm

I ended up putting about three hours into the closed beta over the weekend, and had an up and down time with it as I learned more about how to play (I haven't played Dead By Daylight or any of its ilk before).

I did a bunch of rounds as a survivor, and then two rounds as a raider (one a loss, and then one a win).

Highlight reel of the raider win-
https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/1556386881817935874

Full three hours of streaming (chapter stops included)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQMIi_06nw

Especially for a $20 entry point, and especially playing/streaming with friends, I'm pretty psyched about the full version in a couple months. I was just getting into the groove of things by the time I was done.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:18 pm I ended up putting about three hours into the closed beta over the weekend, and had an up and down time with it as I learned more about how to play (I haven't played Dead By Daylight or any of its ilk before).

I did a bunch of rounds as a survivor, and then two rounds as a raider (one a loss, and then one a win).

Highlight reel of the raider win-
https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/1556386881817935874

Full three hours of streaming (chapter stops included)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQMIi_06nw

Especially for a $20 entry point, and especially playing/streaming with friends, I'm pretty psyched about the full version in a couple months. I was just getting into the groove of things by the time I was done.
I haven't watched the video whole, but the first 40 minute bit was fun, seeing you playing and figuring it out. The villains look like they are proper beasts and it's better to avoid them. Have you figured out the fighting after you change with the sphere? Is it even possible to defeat the villain?
Or it is more like a stalling technique with a chance to do Taiyoken for example, to blind Freeza and run during his cooldown or it is a martyr thing to sacrifice yourself for other players?

Some of the concepts are interesting and this "weird" mechanic caught my eye and it's fun to get some convoluted explanations for the sake of the gameplay sense :D The Trunks' dialogues were hilarious.
Those time rifts look exactly the same as in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Xenoverse and Legends.
After playing some Heroes and reading the manga recently, I kinda like the idea of getting our parallel "Xeno Universe" where they can pull of basically anything, like Xeno characters and bunch of poor people who get continuously sucked into time rifts :D

I might even grab the game after some time, if there will be steady player base, as it looks like fun to play with online friends and people in general, but I am always afraid, as the western audience for most of the Japanese titles dies quickly and isn't as big. Hell, even the Star Wars Squadrons online play died quite fast after half a year and it's impossible to play online now. Which sucks, as the game is awesome.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:09 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 am The villains look like they are proper beasts and it's better to avoid them. Have you figured out the fighting after you change with the sphere? Is it even possible to defeat the villain? Or it is more like a stalling technique with a chance to do Taiyoken for example, to blind Freeza and run during his cooldown or it is a martyr thing to sacrifice yourself for other players?
The fighting was, for me at least, something that was a little difficult to get the hang of - I can't tell if it's the game itself just isn't designed very well on that front, or if it's more that my mind was just geared in the opposite direction for much of a match and thus couldn't switch over when it was time. That said, while the fighting definitely seems geared towards something you should probably only do as a distraction measure to save another player or done in an effort to escape yourself, it IS possible to defeat the Raider - I saw it happen at least once during my time with the beta. The Raider does have a life bar, and once it gets to about half down, the game will let all players know that. And once it's health is completely depleted, a short cut scene will play of all of the Survivors using a Transphere and blasting the Raider away.
Twitter

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:25 am

I never thought I'd see the day when the farmer from episode 1 of Dragon Ball Z is revealed as a playable character and name-dropped specifically in a trailer for a new Dragon Ball game. Dragon Ball has fully gone meta with this game and I love it.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:20 pm

I'm curious exactly how Boo is gonna operate based on what we saw in the new trailer. Basically, the Raiders all go through four forms - for Freeza, it's all four of his original forms as his rage meter fills; for Cell, he starts off in his cicada-like state before going through his two imperfect forms and finally his Perfect form as he absorbs more life energy. For Boo though, it kind of looks like he starts off in his cocoon ball, so if you choose Boo, are you actually running around as Yamu/Spopovich first, absorbing energy to take back to the cocoon? They did show models for them, so...

What's particularly interesting is it looks like getting him to Kid Boo involves an actual inside-Boo locale for the survivors first - I was not expecting that, holy crap. So...maybe once Super Boo absorbs everyone, there's no chance for the survivors to win unless they free themselves from the inside by pulling the Fat Boo free, but in doing so they cause him to become his final Kid Boo form at the cost of having another chance to escape? Going to be really interesting to see exactly how this all works. Hopefully we'll get another gameplay trailer before the game's release showing some Boo gameplay.
Twitter

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Apologies for the double post, but I just came across some Japanese footage for the Majin Boo Raider in action, and considering the Open Beta launches later tonight/early tomorrow (depending on your time zone), I thought it might interest some others to check out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cmDHTn0aQ

It looks like my guess based on what the trailer showed was pretty much on point for the most part. 'Form 1' has the Raider actually playing as Spopovich, and you fly around, absorbing energy from the players (when you do, Yamu pops up to jab them with the energy stealing device), though one curious thing I noted was that they can also take energy from the random civilians that are on the map as well. I only got to play as a Raider once, so I have no idea - was that a thing Freeza or Cell can do too to level up quicker as well? Either way, once they have enough energy, the Raider then has to fly back to where the cocoon ball is and give that energy to Majin Boo, thus reviving him into his fat state and entering the Raider into 'form 2'.

For 'form 2' Majin Boo, he seems to operate pretty much like Freeza or Cell do - just fly around and attack people, destroy things, etc. His attacking people is turning them into candy to eat them, because of course it is. Once he gets enough, eventually the grey 'Evil Boo' pops out and turns on him, pushing the Raider to 'form 3' Super Boo.

In 'form 3' Super Boo, the gameplay looks to stay more or less the same (fly around, attack people or destroy things, turn them to candy to eat them, etc.), but eventually Super Boo gets his fill of candy and seems to just outright absorb all of the Survivor characters left on the map regardless of where they are. This pulls them inside of him and changes the map to an 'Inside Boo' location, where Super Boo seems to still be able to fly around and attack people as we saw in the original series. The Survivors can eventually find Majin Boo (the fat one) in a pod stalk though and rip him free - I'm assuming that doing so is the only way for them to have a chance to escape once the game gets this far - and in doing so, they return the land to it's normal state...while also finishing transforming Boo into 'form 4', Kid Boo.

This level of attention to detail and making the character operate differently from both Freeza and Cell is actually really refreshing IMO. Before the initial trailer and this gameplay, I went with lower expectations and figured Boo would only be attacking people, and was likely going to go from Fat Boo, Super Boo, Super Boohan (just absorbing a random Survivor or something and ignoring logistics because video games), and finally Kid Boo (with no real reason given to him transforming further other than continuing to eat people he turned into candy. The fact that they went this far though really makes me curious to see how they may make potential future Raider characters different from the initial three. I'd really love to see what they'd cook up for Baby, for example. Maybe start him off as his regular form and give him some kind of possession mechanic to a degree?
Twitter

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 am

Got some kind of item on XV2 that would provide a bonus in breakers, however, does anyone know if there's anything you can do or get in breakers that enhances your XV2 experience?

Is there cross progression if I ws to get the game on PC?
Or is there cross play to play with my brother if I'm on Xbox and he's on PC?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:28 am

TobyS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 am Got some kind of item on XV2 that would provide a bonus in breakers, however, does anyone know if there's anything you can do or get in breakers that enhances your XV2 experience?

Was it something you were given upon logging into Xenoverse 2, or did you have to do something in the game to get it?
Twitter

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:28 am
TobyS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:19 am Got some kind of item on XV2 that would provide a bonus in breakers, however, does anyone know if there's anything you can do or get in breakers that enhances your XV2 experience?

Was it something you were given upon logging into Xenoverse 2, or did you have to do something in the game to get it?
Did the two oolong missions. Got given an item that will be more useful when breakers launches, kinda vague.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm

TobyS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am Did the two oolong missions. Got given an item that will be more useful when breakers launches, kinda vague.
Interesting...huh. Guess I'll have to fire up my Switch copy of Xeno 2 for the first time in a long while (I honestly can't even remember if I ever got the last couple of DLC's or not), and try to do those missions so that I'll have whatever said item is as well.
Twitter

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 pm

[/quote]

Did the two oolong missions. Got given an item that will be more useful when breakers launches, kinda vague.
[/quote]

Just kinda waiting to see what the little bonus is? Hoping it's actually good and not just an item. The Beta for Breakers doesn't trigger whatever the bonus is.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756