Burst Limit's appeal

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Burst Limit's appeal

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:00 pm

It seems Burst Limit is very amongst popular anime YouTube channels lately. How do you think this game would of done had it released today? What do you think could of made this game better?
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Modern_Dingus

Re: Burst Limit's appeal

Post by Modern_Dingus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:31 pm

While I haven't quite had the chance to play Burst Limit quite yet, what I see in the game play is this amazing handling and animation.

The characters are lively and the recoil on hits is awesome. Something I don't know if I'm alone in, is the gravity like that's in FighterZ and in Burst Limit's grounded combat is this weight that makes the momentum on hits and whatnot really have that "oomf" factor. While games like BT3 and Xenoverse have in this variety of movement and characters is that really "samey" feel and more floaty combat.

Seems like Burst Limit has the potential to strike that balance and double the variety of game play.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Modern_Dingus wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:31 pm While I haven't quite had the chance to play Burst Limit quite yet, what I see in the game play is this amazing handling and animation.

The characters are lively and the recoil on hits is awesome. Something I don't know if I'm alone in, is the gravity like that's in FighterZ and in Burst Limit's grounded combat is this weight that makes the momentum on hits and whatnot really have that "oomf" factor. While games like BT3 and Xenoverse have in this variety of movement and characters is that really "samey" feel and more floaty combat.

Seems like Burst Limit has the potential to strike that balance and double the variety of game play.
I feel Like the only thing that Burst limit lacked was the appeal of what made the Budokai games special like the loading screen mini games, the animated intro, skill shop and unique story mode. I would have loved if they did a mixture of all the Budokai games with cutscenes like Budokai 1 with a story mode that Takes elements from Budokai 2 , Infinite World and Budokai 3 (game board + Open world flying) and maybe some great what ifs like in Tenkaichi 3 or Budokai 2. Its still all possible as Dimps still has the assets from the Budokai games no? A new Budokai/2.5D game would sell really good just on nostalgia alone.
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm

I enjoyed Burst Limit at the time and really hoped for a sequel, as the first taste of a DB game on the 360 & PS3 it really blew me away when I first saw it. Unfortunately, the developers (Dimps) switched their focus to Street Fighter IV afterwards and Dragon Ball fans were left with Spike's Raging Blast and Ultimate Tenkaichi games which I always felt were terribly mediocre and unpolished. The animations and character models in Burst Limit were visually impressive for the time and it felt truer to a "next-gen" experience in my opinion, the only thing it needed was a bigger character roster (Boo arc and movie characters), larger story mode plus an improvement to the Drama Pieces mechanic. Sadly a sequel was not to be and Burst Limit was quickly forgotten. In hindsight they really could have kept the game alive with DLC but at the time that was still a new concept to most developers.

These days I can't imagine the game holds up too well in comparison to what's available on newer platforms like FighterZ, I would think it's probably a little dated but then again I haven't played BL since its heyday.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:16 am

NitroEX wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:31 pm I enjoyed Burst Limit at the time and really hoped for a sequel, as the first taste of a DB game on the 360 & PS3 it really blew me away when I first saw it. Unfortunately, the developers (Dimps) switched their focus to Street Fighter IV afterwards and Dragon Ball fans were left with Spike's Raging Blast and Ultimate Tenkaichi games which I always felt were terribly mediocre and unpolished. The animations and character models in Burst Limit were visually impressive for the time and it felt truer to a "next-gen" experience in my opinion, the only thing it needed was a bigger character roster (Boo arc and movie characters), larger story mode plus an improvement to the Drama Pieces mechanic. Sadly a sequel was not to be and Burst Limit was quickly forgotten. In hindsight they really could have kept the game alive with DLC but at the time that was still a new concept to most developers.

These days I can't imagine the game holds up too well in comparison to what's available on newer platforms like FighterZ, I would think it's probably a little dated but then again I haven't played BL since its heyday.
Such a great game. Maybe we will get something in the vain of those games someday, the 20th anniversary of Budokai is coming up soon and they released the HD collection for the 10th in 2012 so who knows what they could do to honor it. I know Daisuke Uchiyama said he is finished with Budokai as a series but I'm sure if Bandai Namco brought him back he would put the same soul and passion he did in Budokai 3 into a new 2.5D series, I can only dream at this point.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:46 am

I have actually skipped Birst Limit back in the day and chose Infinite World on PS2 back then, that they advertised as taking cues from Burst Limit, but to me it was actually more like Budokai 3,5, with addition of GT characters. IW was actually weird release, as the PS3/360 era was already underway.

I have skipped the game as I was going bit into a DB game fatigue and only game I bought back in the day on the then next-gen was a Raging Blast 2 (because of the roster and Hatchihyakku), that I had still with Kenji Yamamoto score, before it got reissued and then I sold it for few bucks in local JRC game store as nobody was interested in the game overall :lol:
Also, I saw it as a cheap progress of taking the Budokai series to then-gen but lacking hard the stuff from previous games, like Saiyan to Cell arc only, limited roster, limited modes of gameplay in comparison to the awesome Budokai 3 and Infinite World.
But people say the game is awesome etc. etc. pitty that I have no console or means to try it nowadays.

But those were the days, Budokai 1 was a blast and it was like the coolest Dragon Ball game at a time (I have bought the Japanese version from eBay later, just to have it for Chala Head Chala and the cool artwork), Budokai 2 I have skipped and tried it later on emulator and didn't miss much, altough, the artstyle and models in the game look interesting with the cell shade and kind of interesting colour shading.
Budokai 3 was the thing, I loved the Legacy of Goku map approach, the side stories and having Uub and kid Goku in it with Demon King Piccolo as a skin. Infinite World was basically Z to GT with bonus fights and a cool way to experience Z story with Budokai gameplay.

Really sad I have missed the Burst Limit, the closest thing to it I guess is Shin Budokai 2 on PSP, but that is what they advertised gameplay wise, again, would love to try Burst Limit nowadays and check if I have missed anything and if all these people are right, when they say it's a solid and cool game.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:21 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:46 am I have actually skipped Birst Limit back in the day and chose Infinite World on PS2 back then, that they advertised as taking cues from Burst Limit, but to me it was actually more like Budokai 3,5, with addition of GT characters. IW was actually weird release, as the PS3/360 era was already underway.

I have skipped the game as I was going bit into a DB game fatigue and only game I bought back in the day on the then next-gen was a Raging Blast 2 (because of the roster and Hatchihyakku), that I had still with Kenji Yamamoto score, before it got reissued and then I sold it for few bucks in local JRC game store as nobody was interested in the game overall :lol:
Also, I saw it as a cheap progress of taking the Budokai series to then-gen but lacking hard the stuff from previous games, like Saiyan to Cell arc only, limited roster, limited modes of gameplay in comparison to the awesome Budokai 3 and Infinite World.
But people say the game is awesome etc. etc. pitty that I have no console or means to try it nowadays.

But those were the days, Budokai 1 was a blast and it was like the coolest Dragon Ball game at a time (I have bought the Japanese version from eBay later, just to have it for Chala Head Chala and the cool artwork), Budokai 2 I have skipped and tried it later on emulator and didn't miss much, altough, the artstyle and models in the game look interesting with the cell shade and kind of interesting colour shading.
Budokai 3 was the thing, I loved the Legacy of Goku map approach, the side stories and having Uub and kid Goku in it with Demon King Piccolo as a skin. Infinite World was basically Z to GT with bonus fights and a cool way to experience Z story with Budokai gameplay.

Really sad I have missed the Burst Limit, the closest thing to it I guess is Shin Budokai 2 on PSP, but that is what they advertised gameplay wise, again, would love to try Burst Limit nowadays and check if I have missed anything and if all these people are right, when they say it's a solid and cool game.
Very well said. You should definitely check Burst Limit !

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 pm

It's a good game but I prefer both Budokai 3 and Infinite World to it.

Compared to those 2 games the combat just felt less fluid and a bit stiff, like you were constantly stopping and starting. The auto-ki charge and defensive knockback mechanics meant that longer cancel combos were now impractical in a real match, as they could be interrupted at the press of a button.

The roster was also much smaller than those games. And the drama pieces couldn't be turned off in certain gamemodes, which got incredibly annoying and destroyed the flow of a match.

Visually the game was stunning and it had a great score by Kenji Yamamoto (plagiarised or not). Overall though it felt like a step back from Budokai 3, and was surpassed by Infinite World the same year it came out.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 pm It's a good game but I prefer both Budokai 3 and Infinite World to it.

Compared to those 2 games the combat just felt less fluid and a bit stiff, like you were constantly stopping and starting. The auto-ki charge and defensive knockback mechanics meant that longer cancel combos were now impractical in a real match, as they could be interrupted at the press of a button.

The roster was also much smaller than those games. And the drama pieces couldn't be turned off in certain gamemodes, which got incredibly annoying and destroyed the flow of a match.

Visually the game was stunning and it had a great score by Kenji Yamamoto (plagiarised or not). Overall though it felt like a step back from Budokai 3, and was surpassed by Infinite World the same year it came out.
I feel that, There was much room to improve on Burst Limit. Compared to B3 or IW it feels like a shell of a game and didn't have that welcoming feel that B3 had. I cant give it too much slack though because it wasn't fully finished, such a shame.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Burst Limit had so much untapped potential. The combat is great but it lacked content and the ki system was broken.

It was also the best-selling of the 7th generation Dragon Ball game so Dimps could've easily followed it up but they were busy with things like Street Fighter and Soul Calibur.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:15 pm

It seemed like the original Budokai games, just with much higher production values. I want them to go back to this style of gameplay someday.

I understand why they didn't continue though. People started to feel fatigued of them remaking the Dragon Ball series by this point - three Budokai games and three Budokai Tenkaichi games. That's seven times you had to see Goku & Piccolo fight Raditz lol.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:35 am

Peach wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:15 pm It seemed like the original Budokai games, just with much higher production values. I want them to go back to this style of gameplay someday.

I understand why they didn't continue though. People started to feel fatigued of them remaking the Dragon Ball series by this point - three Budokai games and three Budokai Tenkaichi games. That's seven times you had to see Goku & Piccolo fight Raditz lol.
Yea true. This is why I'm not mad they are trying something new (even though its slightly lazy) with The Breakers. Eventually they will have to dig back into that style(modernized of course) of Budokai though.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Now that they know how well recieved a more traditional fighting can be, they will never go back to the Budokai style. As much fun as fans had with those games, the devs probably always wanted to do a Street Fighter/SNK style fighter. And then Arc Systems made it happen. What even funnier is tha a decade ago, on this very site, made a post about wanted a MvC style DB fighting game and there were so many people against it.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm

Yeah, I don’t see how the Budokai style could have any actual appeal left at this point, outside of a couple of gimmicks like the beam struggles.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, I don’t see how the Budokai style could have any actual appeal left at this point, outside of a couple of gimmicks like the beam struggles.
The Budokai style can be adapted for competitive esports. Infinite World had the right idea (combining the best elements of all the Budokai games) but unfortunately it was rushed and a budget title.

An ideal game would have Infinite World's gameplay with Budokai 3's fatigue system and story elements, Shin Budokai's customization system (supers and ultimates should be integral to characters) and real-time ultimates, and Burst Limit's graphics.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:40 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, I don’t see how the Budokai style could have any actual appeal left at this point, outside of a couple of gimmicks like the beam struggles.
The Budokai style can be adapted for competitive esports. Infinite World had the right idea (combining the best elements of all the Budokai games) but unfortunately it was rushed and a budget title.

An ideal game would have Infinite World's gameplay with Budokai 3's fatigue system, Budokai 1's story elements, Shin Budokai's customization system (supers and ultimates should be integral to characters) and real-time ultimates, and Burst Limit's graphics.
Fix'd
fadeddreams5 wrote:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:28 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:40 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:32 am

An ideal game would have Infinite World's gameplay with Budokai 3's fatigue system, Budokai 1's story elements, Shin Budokai's customization system (supers and ultimates should be integral to characters) and real-time ultimates, and Burst Limit's graphics.
Fix'd
I don't know, Budokai 3's story was really fun. A mix of that with Budokai 1 style cutscenes would be ideal.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:16 pm

I remember game was rated pretty low for being so barebones compared to BT3, "That's what Burst Limit 2 will be for" sadly, it never came out.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 pm

coola wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:16 pm I remember game was rated pretty low for being so barebones compared to BT3, "That's what Burst Limit 2 will be for" sadly, it never came out.
The game had decent scores from review sites and it sold better than the Raging Blast games. It probably could’ve gotten a sequel.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:19 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:41 pm
coola wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:16 pm I remember game was rated pretty low for being so barebones compared to BT3, "That's what Burst Limit 2 will be for" sadly, it never came out.
The game had decent scores from review sites and it sold better than the Raging Blast games. It probably could’ve gotten a sequel.
The way I see it, Burst Limit kind of feels like the last spark from the Budokai-esque game play. Not to mention that coming off the heels of Shin Budokai, BT3, and with Raging Blast already in the works trying to offer a semi-new perspective on what a DBZ Arena fighter could be I'm a little surprised they made the game instead of doing a port / re-release for that years game instead of making what seems like a new game engine / assets.

I think anything BL ( or a spiritual successor / Sequel ) wanted to accomplish is already satisfied by what we have now. FighterZ for anything remotely serious, Xenoverse 2 is our current sandbox, and Kakarot is the RPG ( though I would say Kakarot could use some more fresh ideas personally )
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756