Were people unfair to the Raging Blast games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Were people unfair to the Raging Blast games?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 11, 2022 3:11 pm

I can’t say I particularly love the Raging Blast games, but they did make some effort to improve upon the Tenkaichi games in key aspects. I prefer BT3 overall, but the Raging Blast games do feel like Spike was maybe trying to add a bit more depth to the fighting system.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Were people unfair to the Raging Blast games?

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed May 11, 2022 3:33 pm

I don't recall any major complaints or backlash towards the game, it was just not as loved as the Tenkaichi games before it.

It just felt like more of the same, well I suppose less of the same would be more accurate. The games roster was smaller than the games before it and the characters that were there were in previous games already. The story covered the same ground and Raging Blast 2 didn't have one at all.

It didn't really stand out. This was the same problem for Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z as well, they did very little that games years ago hadn't already done.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:33 pm I don't recall any major complaints or backlash towards the game, it was just not as loved as the Tenkaichi games before it.

It just felt like more of the same, well I suppose less of the same would be more accurate. The games roster was smaller than the games before it and the characters that were there were in previous games already. The story covered the same ground and Raging Blast 2 didn't have one at all.

It didn't really stand out. This was the same problem for Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z as well, they did very little that games years ago hadn't already done.
Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z did try something different. They were just poorly executed. I would agree though about the Raging Blast games not really covering any new ground, though. The first game pretty much just tacked on Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta and Broly to try and get people interested, and the second game resorted to bringing in obscure characters Hatchiyak and Tarble.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 am

It did seem like Spike was trying to add more depth with the Raging Blast combat system but Spike was never really a fighting game developer so the execution left a lot to be desired. They also lacked any particularly new or interesting content.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm

They felt like diet Sparking games. They also came out when people were getting bored with Dragon Ball games which is one reason why RB2 sold so poorly. 2007 was probably the peak when people still were hype up for DB games before 2015.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 19, 2022 3:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm They felt like diet Sparking games. They also came out when people were getting bored with Dragon Ball games which is one reason why RB2 sold so poorly. 2007 was probably the peak when people still were hype up for DB games before 2015.
Now that you mention it, I think BT3/Sparking Meteor created a bit of a problem for Dragon Ball video games, in that there didn’t seem like there was anywhere else to go after that. That game already featured characters from virtually every era of Dragon Ball at the time. Ultimate Tenkaichi attempted to give people something new by introducing a character creator, but the execution was incredibly lackluster. Battle of Gods and Super were very much the shot in the arm that the video games desperately needed.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun May 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:12 pm They felt like diet Sparking games.
That about sums it up. The first Raging Blast specifically, it was one step forward, and about four steps back. There were some decent ideas in terms of gameplay and the upgraded character models were nice (for the most part… this is about when it was decided Vegeta’s face would almost never look on-model in games apparently), but the interface was so bland, lifeless and cold, and the music represented that point in time where instead of diverse, melodic compositions, they would go for boring, generic and forgettable guitar wankery that sounds like royalty free ambient rock music. Whether it’s the in-house replacement scores for BT2/BT3 or the Kikuchi OST in the original release either way is way more preferable.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.