My complete "Story Mode" video of "Super Butouden" for the SNES

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nineko
Beyond Newbie

My complete "Story Mode" video of "Super Butouden" for the SNES

Post by nineko » Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 am

I'm not sure if self-promotion is against the rules; if it is, please feel free to delete.

In case you want to watch it, here is a video I made of the Story Mode of "Super Butouden" (超武闘伝): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaKNhyl99k

By playing each match with a certain character, you get a special battle after "the end", with Mister Satan against Perfect Cell.

I have a couple more videos of Dragon Ball games on my Youtube channel, and I wanted to make even more, but they've never been popular, so I moved on to other games (I'm mainly known for Sonic videos, but I do like to change and experiment from time to time).

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My complete "Story Mode" video of "Super Butouden" for the SNES

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:36 am

Cool video! I was never very good at this game, so it's cool to see a playthrough by someone who actually knows what they're doing. :D
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:16 am

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback! I'm glad that you liked it :)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:41 am

Cool! I remember playing this game on emulator as a kid on elementary school.
Thanks for nostalgia.

I like the game intro and how you switch directly into the fight, that's quite cool gimmick.
Loved the music as well.

Remember playing and going for everything DB back in the day I could get my hands on and I remember this game being really clunky
and probably finished the story mode for one time and never got back to it, mostly because the roster had everyone in basic forms and I had no idea if you can somehow unlock SSJ and other characters from story mode.
But the animations of characters going SSJ or Freeza going for his 100% form in story mode were really cool in 16-bit era.
Other game that I remember and did that as well (Only for Trunks and Vegeta if I remember that right) was Buuyuu Retsuden on Sega Genesis - pretty cool game, one of my favorites next to Super Butoden 2 from that era.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback. If there are any DBZ games you'd like to see featured on my channel, feel free to ask and I'll look into them. Classic games only, nothing modern.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:10 pm

nineko wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:13 pm Thanks for your feedback. If there are any DBZ games you'd like to see featured on my channel, feel free to ask and I'll look into them. Classic games only, nothing modern.
Thanks to you for the hard work.
Basically an old fart's childhood, hehe.

Well, I'll take you on your word, as you probably had to expertly play this clunky game to get Mr. Satan and bravo for that, you really were skilled during the gameplay and I admire the time you have put in.
I would love a sequel with the original Super Butoden 2.
Or challenge for crazy people, finish Hyper Dimension without using senzu beans for 3 extra battles.
I remember that game being super hard when I played through story mode back then.
Not forcing you, but wonder, if you can pull it off for the entertainment :)

Are you emulating and playing on keyboard or do you use controller?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:01 pm

Believe me or not, but I prefer to use the keyboard, and yes, this is emulated (in Snes9x if you want me to be specific). I'll look into the games you mentioned, no promises though, but thanks again for the ideas.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:28 pm

I played it like that as well back then.
Doing the circle around the clock combos with the three fingers on arrow keys :lol:

I thought that after you pulled the difficulty run with game as Super Butoden just for Satan at the end,
these two games have optional routes and more extra content than SB1 and play better.
Although, I remember Hyper Dimension really being the beast in story mode. Also, loved the visual presentation and concept, as you don't have a Ki gauge, the Ki/Chi is basically your life gauge and you can pull off Super Dragon Fist combo in moment of desperation, when your life gauge is critical. Also you can charge it back during the faster paced fights. It's done by the same team that worked on Super Butoden series and can be viewed as a sequel of sorts to the Super Butoden, with similar gameplay.
Also the BGM is interesting, sound like Kenji Yamamoto on acid and was composed by Mitsuhiko Takano.
I did love the game as a kid for featuring the latest characters from Buu arc in their strongest forms, except for return of the popular villains Cell and Freeza plus Piccolo, probably for the sake of variety.

Are you discovering these games now or do you play them for some time or years and decided to make the video of Super Butoden now in particular?
What's the story behind?
I am sucker for such information.

PS: Noticed you are from Italy, I have actually downloaded these games from an italian site called Dragon Ball Arena back then!
Some years before joining this forum. I remember that the site also featured one of the best fan arts that existed back then, from an Italian fan. Wonder, if it can be found on timemachine, I'd like to track down that artist again.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:18 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:28 pmI am sucker for such information.
You are, but the rest of the forum might not be interested into this discussion, and I feel kinda bad to continuously bump my own topic, we should definitely switch to private messages if you want to talk for longer.

Anyway, no, this isn't a game from my childhood. As I mentioned, I usually feature Sonic games on my channel, but I sometimes try to add some variety by playing popular games of popular franchises. This one seemed nice enough, so I gave it a try.