The Future of Dragon Ball video games (speculation)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

The Future of Dragon Ball video games (speculation)

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:24 pm

Dragon Ball games have been a hot commodity for the past couple years. Xenoverse, FighterZ, and Kakarot in particular have been selling gangbusters and are generally well-received.

There's a bright future for games ahead of the franchise.

2022-2023: Dragon Ball: The Breaker was released. Something involving Budokai will be announced/released in November of this year to celebrate its 20th anniversary, probably another HD Collection or low-key sequel. Dragon Ball FighterZ 2 will be announced at the end of the DBFZ World Tour.

2024-2025: Dragon Ball FighterZ 2 will be released in Q2 2024. It may get ported over to Switch the following year and we may get a smaller scale game as well. Xenoverse will finally be announced Q3 2025.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Mystic87

Re: The Future of Dragon Ball video games (speculation)

Post by Mystic87 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Unless I missed something, I have a feeling DBFZ2 is a long way off.

I'm 1000% on board with it (if it includes Tapion and Pikkon), but they just announced roll back for DBFZ. I have a feeling they're going to milk that for a while with minor updates until that cash cow is milked.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:45 am

I guess it's possible that we could see DBF2 with the first game almost being five years old. However, XV3 will probably happen first because the Xenoverse brand is a bigger title.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:45 am I guess it's possible that we could see DBF2 with the first game almost being five years old. However, XV3 will probably happen first because the Xenoverse brand is a bigger title.
FighterZ sold about as much as XV2 and it came out over a year after it. It's more commercially and critically successful overall so DBFZ2 is Moe's likely to happen than XV3.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:38 am

I have a strong feeling they will do something special for the 20th Anniversary, Namco Bandai seems to hold that series in high regard. Maybe this was a reason they played all the Budokai games last year.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:09 am

I am wondering. With business model changing before and during covid, with DBZ games in particular being focused more on longetivity with multiplayer or adding DLCs instead of churning out new series of games with sequels like in the past (as digital market wasn't really a thing back then and DLC was more of a bonus).

Also, Dragon Ball franchise is kind of on hiatus again and as Xenoverse 2 pretty much handles the now scarce promotion support with last being the Broly Movie content and besides Super Hero, there is nothing much to be added (except for plethora of missing characters, that are not really as attractive for DLC) on the home consoles, Super DB Heroes on Arcades and Dokkan and Legends on mobile phones, I am quite pesimistic on getting any major sequels or game series in near future, unless there is some new Dragon Ball content on TV, which I doubt there will be in next two years.

We are left with a games, that are basically money makers and for that, they churn out purchasable content. Heck, even Kakarot that is a single player experience has this collectible card game mode, where you can buy in-game currency for real money, to get more cards. If you didn't buy enough DLC to XV2, you can buy the TP medals versus hours of grinding, which you need a huge quantities for getting the items.

I guess that Breakers spent more time in development than intended and the playerbase plus in-game/PS store shop will determine the longetivity of the game.

With Xenoverse 2, the game is really dated now, being over 5 years old! No sequel on horizon.
FighterZ is pretty much done, with multiplayer still supported and still wildly popular among players, with last update for gameplay. No sequel, or even rumors, on horizon.
Kakarot had a rumored Episode Of Bardock DLC, that is probably just a rumor, but the game is done.
What are probably the biggest cash-ins in the long horizon are Legends, Dokkan and the arcade heroes.

So I guess, that's it for now, unless they work hard on doing something completely fresh for PS5 generation of consoles and will blow our minds, or at least I hope so.
I really liked the era of the PS2/PS3 games, where we got even titles that covered the first anime series, Advanced Adventure, Origins on Nintendo DS or Revenge Of King Piccolo (I loved the game).
But I don't see us getting a third wave of DB extravaganza anytime soon.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:16 pm

We could see Bandai Namco do a DB retro collection similar to Konami's TMNT collection. Capcom already did their own arcade collection recently.
She/Her

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 am

I would love to get my hands on remasters of old games... like Budokai series complete with Infinity World + all the Japanese Bonuses (Kuriza, Neko Majin stage).

But I don't see them doing the same like Capcom with Street Fighter for example, or Square Enix with Final Fantasy (which came with repacked original releases).

Also, all of Kenji Yamamoto scores will have to be replaced.
But I would definitely buy some definitive re-release, if it comes on PC as well.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:25 pm

They could just re-release the old NES, and SNES games without Kenji Yamamoto scores if they have too.
She/Her

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:25 pm They could just re-release the old NES, and SNES games without Kenji Yamamoto scores if they have too.
They COULD, but you seriously think they give enough of a damn to rerelease any of the Gokuden games or the Super Butoden series?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:05 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:25 pm They could just re-release the old NES, and SNES games without Kenji Yamamoto scores if they have too.
Wasn’t Super Butouden 2 released with replacement score with Extreme Butouden? I wonder how it was, so they can…

But I am not a fan. I remember Raging Blast 2 having replacement score and still had the old version. It’s weird to play games with new score without the one I was used to.
I remember being in uncanny valley few times playing Revenge of King Piccolo, as it reused some od the Budokai Tenkaichi score.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 am

I just realized that the 40th anniversary of Dragonball is in 2024, that would be the perfect time to release a Dragonball centered game. The last DB centered game we had was Revenge of King Piccolo no? With all the rumors of a XV3(Is this rumor even true?), id rather have something fresh than a sequel for a game that will be 8 years old by that point...
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:54 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 am I just realized that the 40th anniversary of Dragonball is in 2024, that would be the perfect time to release a Dragonball centered game. The last DB centered game we had was Revenge of King Piccolo no? With all the rumors of a XV3(Is this rumor even true?), id rather have something fresh than a sequel for a game that will be 8 years old by that point...
The problem is they don't really sell. They would have to try something new, like branching story paths so it's not just the same thing we know, or let us play through King Piccolo's backstory and see the wars he fought in detail.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:16 pm

I want Figtherz 2, but Xenoverse 3 is more casual friendly. They will probably make that one first.
She/Her

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:25 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:54 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:12 am I just realized that the 40th anniversary of Dragonball is in 2024, that would be the perfect time to release a Dragonball centered game. The last DB centered game we had was Revenge of King Piccolo no? With all the rumors of a XV3(Is this rumor even true?), id rather have something fresh than a sequel for a game that will be 8 years old by that point...
The problem is they don't really sell. They would have to try something new, like branching story paths so it's not just the same thing we know, or let us play through King Piccolo's backstory and see the wars he fought in detail.
Maybe a mini game or side mission on King Piccolo's story could work, that would be awesome.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:26 am

So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:39 pm

I just realized: PS5+Series X port of Kakarot...would that count as the 2023 game?

So we might not get a new game next year

I also doubt they would release a next gen version of Xenoverse 2 if XV3 releases in 2024

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 am

At this point I'll take anything Budokai related I can get. Even if they just ported the HD Collection over to newer consoles it'd be better than nothing, as my PS3 stopped working a while back.

Of course a full on sequel or a collection with all the Budokais and Infinite World would be much better. Maybe they could throw in Shin Budokai 1 and 2 too.

I've gotta say I couldn't possibly be more undewhelmed by The Breakers. It just isn't my kind of game so I won't be getting that.

FighterZ 2 is certain to happen eventually, although it's likely a long way off with Street Fighter 6 and now Tekken 8 being the big upcoming fighting games at the moment.

Super Saiyan Zach

Post by Super Saiyan Zach » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:28 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:39 pm I just realized: PS5+Series X port of Kakarot...would that count as the 2023 game?

So we might not get a new game next year

I also doubt they would release a next gen version of Xenoverse 2 if XV3 releases in 2024
They also announced PS5 & XSX ports of FighterZ, which I feel will release in 2023 as well. Considering how they haven't announced an XV2 port, I feel like they'll release XV3 in 2024. Next gen ports of Kakarot & FighterZ next year and XV3 in 2024 for PS5 & XSX would be pretty solid! And then we could get FighterZ 2 probably sometime in 2025.
90sDBZ wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 am At this point I'll take anything Budokai related I can get. Even if they just ported the HD Collection over to newer consoles it'd be better than nothing, as my PS3 stopped working a while back.

Of course a full on sequel or a collection with all the Budokais and Infinite World would be much better. Maybe they could throw in Shin Budokai 1 and 2 too.

I've gotta say I couldn't possibly be more undewhelmed by The Breakers. It just isn't my kind of game so I won't be getting that.

FighterZ 2 is certain to happen eventually, although it's likely a long way off with Street Fighter 6 and now Tekken 8 being the big upcoming fighting games at the moment.
Have you heard of the BT4 project? It's fanmade, but still really well done.

At least Breakers is pretty cheap. I think you can get it for as little as $20! I agree though that it is underwhelming. I also won't be getting it. Looks kind of fun, but I could see it getting repetitive really quickly.

Agreed. As I mentioned, I think FighterZ 2 could come in 2025, with the PS5/XSX versions being used as a way to tide us over and test out the rollback netcode. Also gives more time for the stock issues with the consoles to get sorted out. Dragon Ball games usually don't jump to new consoles right away to allow time for the install base to grow (Breakers doesn't even have a PS5/XSX version and it launches next month).

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:37 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:44 am I would love to get my hands on remasters of old games... like Budokai series complete with Infinity World + all the Japanese Bonuses (Kuriza, Neko Majin stage).

But I don't see them doing the same like Capcom with Street Fighter for example, or Square Enix with Final Fantasy (which came with repacked original releases).

Also, all of Kenji Yamamoto scores will have to be replaced.
But I would definitely buy some definitive re-release, if it comes on PC as well.
I hope they pick better OSTs to replace the songs.

And if it releases on PC, people could bring back the OG OST anyways