If you were making a Dragonball fighting game ...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

If you were making a Dragonball fighting game ...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 am

I see the other topics for for character lists and stuff. But let's say you were making a Dragonball fighting game, what type content would you have in it?

I guess we would start with characters being that that's the first thing that comes to people's minds. I don't mean the Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking! school of throwing a million characters at people. Just the essentials. The characters that you would want to play with and have an arsenal of desirable techniques. Which leads me to the next area.

What techniques would you want to have. One thing that I have noticed about the Dragonball series is that after a certain point in the series, there are no signature physical attacks. Everyone just seems to resort to energy blasts. Can you think of anything that would be viable in the context of Dragonball fighting.

And there's level design. We have the Budokai series sequences when you knocked someone out of the fighting area. And we also have the destructible environments of the Sparking! which were also seen in Super Dragonball Z.

One of the lasts thing would be how do you want the view of the fighting to take place? 2D or 3D? First person, third person, or side view? What kind of customization should there be? Alternate modes of play? Mini-games? Or any elements from the cartridge days that may be interesting.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:13 am

Character-wise, I'd like to see maybe double the amount of characters that Super DBZ has.

That way, you can really set the characters apart in their fighting styles.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

Ran Fuan

Post by Ran Fuan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:18 am

I've always wanted to make a GT version to DBZ:Hyper Dimension on the Super Nintendo using ASM binary hacking. The artwork I wouldn't have a problem with, just the Reverse Engineering.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:23 am

Well, myself personally would like for DBZ to go back to the 2D Fighter games. I grew up playing them, and loved them...
(I wish I lived in Japan, then I could buy a Wii and download all the old 2D Fighter DBZ games from their arcade downloads thingy...)
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:30 pm

I think a game with a Create A Character would be cool. You could make your own Saiyajin, Namek or whatever. You can make your own clothing and designs, can pick out a certain number (to prevent godmoding I suppose) of skills and powers to be a part of your character. Or, you can start out with a skill or two, and training or fighting will gain you new skills. :D

Maybe this would be a special part of a DBZ game, like one of those side stories. You work your way up to the strongest fights, and the "final boss" would be Goku, and if you beat him, you win! :D

Ran Fuan

Post by Ran Fuan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 pm

When I first saw the Data Centre on Tenkaichi 2 I thought it had the ability to creat your own characters appearance wise, but clearly not. It would've been a nice little feature.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:50 am

I would get rid of the behind camera thing that went with Sparking and Sparking Neo, it really annoyed me personally.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:57 am

I want the items to be like Halo on Goku and Vegeta, if you use the Ultimate Sword on Kid Gohan or Future Trunks (without sword), they will have it on and Halo for everyone good and Majin Sign for the evil people. The uniforms and suits can be like alternative ones. That would solve most of the costume problem. Gameplay? I like BT/BT2's one. (Don't kill me)
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:30 pm

I'd make a fighting game revolving around Dragonball first and foremost. While I like the over the shoulder camera in Sparking!, for this I would move it back to a side-on perspective since contrary to flying all over the place, most of the DB fights were of the close combat variant, and as such side on works just fine. (Where as in a DBZ game it seems a bit clunky). Or heck, meet somewhere in the middle and have it free roaming and have it be more sophisticated than Power Stone, but less so than Virtua Fighter/Shenmue. XD

Space Coyote

Post by Space Coyote » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Personally I'd like to see a fighting game that focuses ONLY on DBGT. Final Bout doesn't really count since it was just a Goku pagent show, with a few extra GT characters thrown in, along with a cornocopia of Z characters. While it's nowhere near as good as the other shows, I enjoy GT, and I'd like to see a game that focuses on it. I would also like to see one that focuses only on Dragon Ball as stated earlier. It seems that most of the games coming out lately are mostly Z characters, with a few cameos of characters from the other shows, which is fine, but I wish they would go ahead and give DB and DBGT the spotlight video games wise.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 am

I think Super Dragon Ball Z is the only game bearing the license that could be considered close to a "great" game. The rest range from awful to fair. Make a game like that and base it exclusively on Dragon Ball.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

I agree with Space Coyote. We need a game that focuses more on either DragonBall or GT, and not Z. Gameplay isn't as much a big deal (Though having it play like the Budokais would be good, I guess), but we need a game that focuses on a smaller part of the series, with a smaller but more diverse and individually unique set of characters, and attention paid to the story.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:27 pm

I honestly think Advanced Adventure was a pretty good start, and they should just take that basic engine and upgrade it with more characters and moves for a console.
Trunks & Goten forever

Space Coyote

Post by Space Coyote » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:06 am

I was watching GT today and I thought that it would be neat if they made an adventure RPG game where you would travel throughout the universe in search of the Black Star Dragon Balls, and visit a variety of worlds that you could explore and perform side quests as well. Of course it would go through the whole series since it isn't very long anyway. The last half could focus on finding all the evil dragons in the same fashion. I know it probably won't happen, but it's a nice thought.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 am

I have indeed tried making my own Dragon Ball fighting game. Which I've abandoned for something similiar.... a Dragon Ball game that I'm making which is like a mix of the old "Super Butoden" games of old for the Super Famicom, with a bit of Sparking! NEO mixed in. But that's another topic for another day. So let's just say that if I had indeed finished it, I would probably make charging your ki take about one second... because DBZ characters don't just stand there for thirty-or-so seconds and charge their energy, they tend to just charge it once, and they're at full. So that's what I'd do. It would make the game faster paced, more challenging and exciting. Not sure why anyone hasn't done that, but that's just me. Plus, I'd probably add individuality between the characters. No-one wants yet another game with cookie-cutter characters, so that's what I'd do. The reason I stopped is because I don't really consider DBZ to be something you would make into a fighting-game; fighting-games usually have characters on land, punching each-other and doing combos/special-moves, but that just isn't Dragon Ball, so I scrapped it.

Dizzyegg05
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dizzyegg05 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:38 am

Maybe a Kingdom hearts esc game where you play a totally original character dumped in the DB universe and watch the story unfold from a different perspective. Perhaps with a good/evil meter which decides whether you become good or evil(duh) , and there on effecting the story line.
Just a thought.
Invisble Story of my life!

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:54 am

Dizzyegg05 wrote:Maybe a Kingdom hearts esc game where you play a totally original character dumped in the DB universe and watch the story unfold from a different perspective. Perhaps with a good/evil meter which decides whether you become good or evil(duh) , and there on effecting the story line.
Just a thought.
I would so buy that the first day it came out. It accually does sound like a good idea with knidom hearts.

I would just like to see Sparking go from DB,DBZ, and DBGT, all in one game with as many charaters as possible so that they would just be done with the thing. I like Sparking, but I hate that they are just slowly adding in more characters so that they can keep making more games. END IT ALREADY.
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?

Space Coyote

Post by Space Coyote » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:34 pm

I personally liked Super DBZ a lot more than Sparking! NEO. While Sparking! NEO does a fantastic job of recreating the experience of the show, each character is quite similar and the story mode is very lazy at what it's supposed to be doing: telling me the story. I think that the first Budokai game did the best job of this, as I really enjoyed the cutscenes in that one. The reason I like Super DBZ so much is pretty much the same reason they liked it on the podcast: it's a real fighting game with characters that have strenghts and weaknesses. Plus it's a lot of fun to customize and build up your character as well. It's the game that Final Bout wanted to be, and should have been.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Well, I just thought of a pretty good idea. Since the newer games are known for throwing in large rosters with less than satisfying gameplay, the biggest asset to these new titles are the what-ifs. Breaking from the mold and seeing the characters in somewhat different scenarios is what draws most of the fans in imo.

So I think there should be a Dragonball fighting/RPG title that has the player lead Goku and make choices through certain events that will change the story like: Goku not joining Bulma or if Kami actually killed Piccolo, things like that. The level system could be the same as Budokai 3's or BT2. The actual dragonballs should be very hard to find, not like in the games I just mentioned. Of course, you can chose to play the game how the story actually went, but people would love to see alternate endings and how the story was changed in the long run (No Red Ribbon, Raditz arrives early, Gohan is never born). So that's my idea, what do you think?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:So I think there should be a Dragonball fighting/RPG title that has the player lead Goku and make choices through certain events that will change the story like: Goku not joining Bulma or if Kami actually killed Piccolo, things like that.
Really, really boring. Kami kills Piccolo means no Dragonballs and no (useful) help for Goku against Raditz. Raditz kills Goku and then slaughters everyone on Earth. Game over.