Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or Budokai 3?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonEric84
Banned

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or Budokai 3?

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:38 pm

I might be purchasing a PS2 shortly and I am going to get one of these games first, which one do you prefer and why?

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:39 pm

hmmm...that's a tough one. I think you might have more longterm fun with Budokai 3 though. Just make sure you get the Greatest Hits version so you can get all the extras. :D

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:02 am

Budokai 3 for me, Sparking Neo was pretty much for me Sparking with a bunch more characters.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 am

Budokai 3: Greatest Hits.

It's infinitely more fun, and has better gameplay and production values for less money. Wait and Sparking NEO will drop in price in a few months.

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 am

If you want a game with a story mode that feels like you're playing the series, Sparking! NEO/Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is your ticket. It pretty much covers everything of the DBZ/GT series, outside movies 1, 2, and 11. There's also the whole 125 playable forms element, though outside the different animation sequences for their finishing attacks, they all play pretty much the same way.

However, if you want a game that you can never get tired of playing against the COM or with a friend, then Budokai 3 is what to go for. As mentioned, the Greatest Hits version would definitely be the more preferable version to aim for, as it contains all the very nifty upgrades and extras. Its story mode is very fun and you'd probably find yourself playing each character's interpretive mode (there's 11 of them) at least three times each, maybe even 4 with Goku's. Basically the only flaw to the Budokai 3 story mode is the cutout excuse of "cut-scenes", though with the GH version, they're somewhat slightly improved by changing expressions. On the contrary with BT2/NEO, Budokai 3 has an awesome display for its fighting engine, with all the characters varying in their own ways. This is definitely a major advantage over BT2/NEO.

My recommendation, pick up Budokai 3 Greatest Hits. But they're both great games, it just depends on if you're willing to play Budokai 3 for 6 months, or BT2/NEO for 6 weeks. They're both very different games in both fighting engines and designed styles, not to mention the length it takes to unlock everything. It's your call.
14 years later

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:15 am

That helped quite a bit, I'm probably going to end up getting both at some point anyway so I guess it's really just a matter of which one to get first. Thanks.

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:26 am

Dragonballz 3 is better than Sparking neo.
I wish atari releases dragonballz 4 !

I am serious!

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:30 am

I remember a thread like this a while back dealing with BT1 and Budokai 3. I was all for BT1 because I don't like B3 because it had too much going on. But to answer your question, I'd get the greatest hits of Budokai 3. I mean honestly, Budokai 2 is the best DragonBall Z fighter out there now, but no one wants to play it anymore. :? The BT,er,Sparking! games are fun but to be honest, they suck when you have to split the screen. :x So yeah, I'd go with Budokai 3. But I warn you: the dragon rush stuff KILLS the game IMO.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Sparking! emulates the Dragonball Z feeling better than Budokai does... plus the Budokai series has clunky dial-a-combos, which are unheard of in proper fighting games in this day and age. (Don't look at me like that, I've been raised on Street Fighter & Virtua Fighter games)

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Budokai 3, it's just all around more fun than BT2.
­

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:09 pm

Personally, I think BT2 is a lot more fun than B3. It captures the feel of DBZ much better than any sideways game again.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:49 am

I think BT2 is better than is better than B3, it easy to play and the graphics are awesome! Man, I feel like playing BT2 again...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Well, I went out and bought a PS2 and Budokai 2 used last night and I love this game already. I'll pick up B3 next probably. Thanks for all the input.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:19 pm

If you get Budokai 3, get that special edition with the extra dvd.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Super Sonic wrote:If you get Budokai 3, get that special edition with the extra dvd.
Why? It probably would cost $50 since they only made one shipment of them and it wouldn't have the bonuses the Greatest Hits version has. I say get the Greatest Hits version.
­

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Taku128 wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:If you get Budokai 3, get that special edition with the extra dvd.
Why? It probably would cost $50 since they only made one shipment of them and it wouldn't have the bonuses the Greatest Hits version has. I say get the Greatest Hits version.
Agreed. The CE of Budokai 3 was horrible. Go for the GH version, it's much better.

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 am

And thus, I went to the trouble of including new pics in my year old Budokai 3 Greatest Hits editorial. Those interested can give a quick look and read in honor of its close one year anniversary. And yeah, Mike still hasn't added it to the Editorials section at Daizenshuu EX. :shock:
14 years later

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:31 am

I reccomend both. They're both great, IMHO, and too different to really pick one over the other.

SuperVegito

Post by SuperVegito » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:21 am

I think Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is much better than Budokai 3.

Reason: If u watched the series, u will definitely enjoy BT2, as it really simulates the series perfectly,..the fights are exactly how DBZ fights usually are.

Budokai 3, on the other hand, is not bad, but doesnt match up to BT2. Reason is that it does not simulate dbz fighting as perfectly as BT2 does, and secondly, it has less combo freedoms...for eg. in BT2 u execte the pinballing yourself, but in budokai 3, pinballing and some other combos are all automatic.

PiccoloDaimao

Post by PiccoloDaimao » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:33 pm

I haven't played Budokai 3, but I have bought Budokai Tenkaichi 2 a week ago. BT2 is an awesome game that really captivates the whole feel of the dragonball series. The fighting is definitely dead on with the show.

I've heard the complaints about this game about how it can be repetitive in the fighting, and thats true to a certain extent. I notice if you have the game on the easiest level its easy to win in the repetitive fashion (ex: combo followed by end less ki blasts). Though if you put the game on medium or hard it requires you to use all the technique's of combo's,blocking attacks, and swarming off ki blasts to prevent against cheap wins. The camera angles are also nicely done where keeps up well with the action.

To sum it up, BT 2 is like the Mortal Kombat Trilogy of dragonball, the character lineup is stacked. This is the type of game that was targeted and specially made for fans of dragonball/z/gt.

My rating would be 9/10