Complete BT3 Info and Discussion Thread [UPDATED 10/02/07]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:47 am

Aukon07 wrote:New video I found of the first stages of the Saiyan Saga from the new game.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z-v6bWJrCbM
OK that is brilliant, having Raditz a brick wall for that fight since he basicly was at that point to Goku and Piccolo is a great idea.

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 am

Demi wrote:
Aukon07 wrote:New video I found of the first stages of the Saiyan Saga from the new game.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z-v6bWJrCbM
OK that is brilliant, having Raditz a brick wall for that fight since he basicly was at that point to Goku and Piccolo is a great idea.
Here's another clip to go with the Raditz fight: http://youtube.com/watch?v=05CJ1sgwTMI

And they all look pretty interesting. I'm still waiting for someone from Atari explaining what they're going to do with the music.

Edit: It seems like Spike's better off doing this instead of doing their own cut scenes because the players actually act it out themselves, in addition, it somehow looks better than just watching; it might look better if you're busy fighting. And what else? This is getting closer to the anime, in that several events takes place within a fight, and we don't have to sit around only watching this stuff anymore, thanks to the new interactive feature.
Last edited by kvon on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Aukon07

Post by Aukon07 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 am

Another just came out, SSJGoku and Freeza stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05CJ1sgwTMI

EDIT: The guy above me beat me by 9 minutes! :P

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:37 am

kaioken12
Beyond Newbie

Post by kaioken12 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:47 am

Xyex wrote:
kaioken12 wrote:I didn't know that O_O
Hm :(
I'd like the original soundtrack better than the one I get in the european or us-releases :/
Except that, from what I heard, the Japanese BGM tracks are often short, repetitive, and not suited for use in a fighting game.
Nevertheless, an option would still be cool.
Then everyone could decide what's better for him/her.

Videos: They look cool, it's getting harder to wait every day :)

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:58 am

Aukon07 wrote:Another just came out, SSJGoku and Freeza stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05CJ1sgwTMI

EDIT: The guy above me beat me by 9 minutes! :P
Hehehe... :twisted:
kindertuin wrote:Gohan vs Cell
I have one gripe about these clips: The voice acting are way too sub-parred, especially during climatic scenes. Goku's "Bakayaro!!!" and Cell's "Chikusho...chikusho!" left me thinking "Are they on tranquilizers?" And to criticize even more on Cell's voice, is that even Norio Wakamoto who's doing the voice? In my opinion, that sounded extremely off in both voice and execution. If it's not him, though, I would probably play that battle scene in English just to hear Daemon Clarke just because he sounds better than this clip. Don't get me wrong, Norio Wakamoto rocks, but it sounds pretty sad, and it's going to make me sadder if it was indeed Wakamoto doing that part of the scene.

Edit: Cell sounds pretty good with his fighting "Ugh's" and "Oof's". Maybe they left the previous battle grunts in, but recorded the quotes with a different person.
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:06 pm

I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Japanese BGM, but I'd love it. The American music does have the credentials of guitarist Steve Lukather and Tower Of Power's brass section, so there's some legitimately great musicianship going on... but it has no connection to DBZ. (Then there's the way the same tracks have been recycled throughout the game series, but that's not a strong argument because there are only so many show tunes to use in the Japanese BGM.)

After seeing that 8-minute trailer (link somewhere in this topic) , I've got "Super Survivor" stuck in my head, and I'd be sad not to hear it in the US release.
I can see their parachutes.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Those videos leave me hoping we somehow get the Japanese music...
The only thing that I could see potentially annoying me would be that the dialogue drowns out the fighting... which... well... would be ok if not for the fact I'd probably be getting my ass handed to me at the time. XD.
... The Raditz fight wins...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm

Solid State Scouter is a nice touch!
Wow I'm super excited.

and Cell's "Chikusho...chikusho!" left me thinking "Are they on tranquilizers?"

Holy crap that was bit was TERRIBLE. At first I thought it was a different but similar sounding person doing Cell's voice, but then I was convinced it was definately the original.

However, after hearing that line...I'm really disappointed in the delivery, there's no emotion at all.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:31 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:49 pm

At least, in this game, the deaths of movie and GT villains won't be restricted to a narration box. :D

I wanted to see the early battles of the movie too... Kuririn spoke during that video, even though he wasn't shown. That probably means he was playable in an early battle... Piccolo and Gohan are probably locks too, but I wonder about Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu.

Watching that, it just reminded me... I really hope they have a "what if" scenario which uses Turles Oozaru's form.

It seems that the "Genki Dama kills Turles" event had to be triggered by the player. What would happen if Turles was defeated without triggering that event...?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Watching Japanese Sparking clips always makes me pine for having the original Japanese BGM. It adds so much to the whole "authentic" Dragon Ball feel, and it's flat out cool music in and of itself.

I still don't understand what purpose it serves to nix it for the U.S. and PAL releases. It accomplishes absolutely nothing at all except for downgrading the quality of the overall product, and giving some of the fans more incentive to import rather than buy the domestic release.

Especially now with the release of the "Orange Brick sets" with their English/Japanese BGM audio tracks being so hyped up here, it makes even less sense now to exclude it from the games.

BTW, I was looking forward to seeing early Goku's Genkidama in action, and it doesn't dissapoint. 8)
I thought the Japanese music was being included, just not with any lyrics? :? :? :?
14 years later

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:35 pm

I really hope they keep the original music....and it would be even better if they left the lyrics in. I've never understood why game companies do that.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:49 pm

Wow, I'm thinking of getting a Wii just to buy this game. :shock:

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:00 pm

I also heard they were keeping the Japanese bgm. It was in an interview of some kind at Atari. I don't have a link to it, I just remember reading it.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Adey wrote:
and Cell's "Chikusho...chikusho!" left me thinking "Are they on tranquilizers?"

Holy crap that was bit was TERRIBLE. At first I thought it was a different but similar sounding person doing Cell's voice, but then I was convinced it was definately the original.

However, after hearing that line...I'm really disappointed in the delivery, there's no emotion at all.
Seriously. That sounded like garbage. I can do a better job! :lol:

In the show, that line gave me goosebumps. The last "chikusho" was stressed for atleast 5 seconds. Dissapointing.

Also, from listening to these videos, the music doesn't sound as "midi-fied" as it was in the previous two games. Did anyone else notice this, or is Youtube just fucking with me?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:22 pm

anyone notice that Goku's movie 3 spirit bomb did 999999.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:27 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:anyone notice that Goku's movie 3 spirit bomb did 999999.
I'm 99% certain that moves that are used in the story, if used in the game as part of a semi-scripted event (You can seem to activate them at will when the prompt on screen flashes), do insane damage and end the battle as they should.