Chatter in Budokai 2 (or the lack thereof)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Chatter in Budokai 2 (or the lack thereof)

Post by Endishiki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:33 am

Budokai 1 had a neat amount of chatter. Matching certain characters up with each other caused there to be different pre-battle/post-battle messages...

Goku and Freeza
Teen Gohan and Goku
Teen Gohan and Piccolo
Kuririn and Android 18
Goku and Android 16
Goku and Vegita

.... and probably others.

However, this changed in Budokai 2. Each character only had one or two lines that they switched between for each fight, no matter who they were facing. It was neat to see different intros in Dragon World between characters (seeing Goku speak to all of the Androids was fairly neat) but a number of characters were left out of that, mostly the humans, Teen Gohan, and Mirai Trunks. You'd think Teen Gohan would have something to say to Cell, or Mirai Trunks to the Androids... hell, you don't even get to see Vegita reprimand Nappa in the first stage, or see Tenshinhan try to stand against Super Buu in Stage 8.

Which is why I hope they change that and reintroduce the nifty concept of quotes based on who you're facing. It would help make the game a bit more, well, Dragon Ballish... the entire series is made up of these interconnections, friendships, rivalries, et al. Wouldn't do to take the lazy route and skimp on a few extra lines of voice acting for that.

Here's hoping for Budokai 3, then...
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:52 am

I agree with you on that; the in-game chatter was a nice touch, made the game feel more authentic. In Budokai 2 the fighters seemed to lack much personality I thought.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:05 am

True that! You'd think that Vegita would have more banter to spit out at Goku, or that Freeza would have much to say to, well, just about everyone that went to Namek...

But, no, it's all the same... Goku nearly always mentions how excited he is, even when he's about to face off with Mr. Satan! At least some of the Dragon World intros were original.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:08 am

Yeah, they probably put so much work into creating dialogue for the Dragon World that they... err... forgot about the rest of the game.

For the record, though, Schemmel's delivery when talking to the multi-colored bio-Sabaimen is absolutely cutely priceless.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:34 pm

The voice acting did seem to be a step up in the video games (strange, considering it's usually the reverse). I did think that Kuririn's voice was perhaps a bit too deep, but maybe that's because it was "fighter Kuririn", and not "amusing bald midget comic relief Kuririn".
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:36 pm

A good example of why character specific intros/outros are needed, other than Goku's "I'm so excited!" against Hercule or Videl is Chibi Trunks's "My dad said I'm allowed to pound your face!" when you're fighting Vegeta. :?

And another thing, they can get rid of those two crappy outros for Gohan and Mirai Trunks, the "I need to train some more" and "That was a close one" or at least set something like that up for when you're low on health. I mean, if you just got a perfect on the fight I can't see why you'd need to train more or how it was possibly close. :?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:26 am

Heh, yeah, there was this one tournament match when I managed to beat the opponent with a ring out in one combo, and got the Mirai Trunks "that was close" outro. Laughed my backside off.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:23 am

Ah, yes... all I can say about the mismatching of quotes is...

Radditz: Die!

Freeza: Anytime you like.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:48 pm

I remember those, though sadly the Europen version of DBZB1 was in Japanese, and lacked subtitles in the pre and post fight chatter. I'd really like to know what was said. Anyway, I to would like to see that return in DBZB3. Broly for example only knows the word "Kakarott", and in my humble opinion would sound odd if he yelled that at basically anyone who isn't Goku (though perhaps he could say it at Gojita and Radditz and sound slightly confused).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:53 pm

Actually, Broli says a little more, so-long as he's not in LSSJ form (not much more, but at least it's something). I would really enjoy the confused, "K-... Kakarot?!?" yelps at characters like Goten and Gogeta ^^.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:38 pm

I've only seen Movie 8 once and that was a while ago so I forgot about that. But even so, I thought he was still rather quiet.

I forgot about Goten. Also, isn't there rumors of Turtles (or whatever he's called) being in the game?

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:49 pm

Broli (or Brolly... whichever) did say a bit more than "KAKKAROT~!!"

He did (for the most part) speak in a polite and calm tone when he was in 'regular' form. He also spouted the typical villain lines in "Legendary" mode, including the infamous line where Broli refers to himself as the devil.

Still, it's rather obvious that he's not the most intelligent of villains... especially in his movie 11 form, where, if I remember correctly, he mostly grunts, groans, and screams. :P

It was rather funny, though, as Broli kept confusing poor Goten for Goku in movie 10. If they manage to emulate that to some extent in B3, then at least they'll have been doing their homework.

Also, yeah, Tales of Movie 3 has been rumored at appearing, but I actually doubt it. He isn't very well-known as a villain. He's also little more than a Goku clone with darker skin. (And given the choice of Goku clones, I'd rather take Bardock over Tales...)

Ginyu Taiko
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ginyu Taiko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:40 pm

Endishiki wrote: Also, yeah, Tales of Movie 3 has been rumored at appearing, but I actually doubt it. He isn't very well-known as a villain. He's also little more than a Goku clone with darker skin. (And given the choice of Goku clones, I'd rather take Bardock over Tales...)
You forgot Ginyu in Goku's body! That is, however, if one can call that a clone. Anyways, didn't Tenshinhan say something to Vegeta in Budokai 3. I recall it being on one of the Gamespot videos.

EDIT: I , however, think that this was mentioned on the Budokai 3 discussion page. Sorry about the necro-posting, I didn't notice it until now. Will try to be more careful next time.

Kaioken

Post by Kaioken » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:50 am

Heres another odd conversation in Budokai 2
Supremek Kai: "Let's have a Good time.
Kid Bu: "AAAARRRUGH"

the thing is I seriously doubt Supreme would say that to Majin Buu

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:35 am

I'm wondering... do Yamcha or Tenshinhan, to anyone's knowledge, have any specific quotes to say to anyone outside of Radditz, Nappa, or the Saibamen in Stage 1...?

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:18 pm

Endishiki wrote:Ah, yes... all I can say about the mismatching of quotes is...

Radditz: Die!

Freeza: Anytime you like.
Heheh, something like that happened to me a couple of days ago.

Chibi Trunks- "My dad says I'm allowed to pound your face!"

Goku- "Haha, I'm so excited!"

... At least I thought it was pretty funny.
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:16 am

Some of those can be funny. I was playing earlier and had a Super Buu Vs. Frieza match.

Super Buu: Gonna kill you!
Frieza: Any time you like!

That's just cool. With the way Frieza says it too it sounds even more arrogant and cocky than normal. Another good one is Raditz Vs. 17

Raditz: You're no match for me!
17: Come on, I've got things to do.

And I Abso-fucking-lutely LOVE Raditz's "Not even worth bragging about." outro. ^^

Now I just need to find out all the new ones in B3 once I've got it! ^_^
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:27 pm

My brother's favourite quote is one of Vegeta's winning quotes - "You disappoint me! (Laughs that amuses my bro.)" Just the way he says it that makes it amusing!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]