Jump All Stars (!!)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Jump All Stars (!!)

Post by Tenken » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:51 pm

Yep, Naruto, Luffy, and Goku...

...ALL IN ONE GAME!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/05 ... 09673.html

I love nintendo. :) And, I'm getting a DS now. This was the straw that broke my skeptic camel's back.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:34 pm

O_O;;

Updated. Mucho thanks. My forum people rock.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nyogo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nyogo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:06 pm

I'm really excited with all of these Dragon Ball games coming out. We've got Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, DBZ Sagas: Evolution, Dragon Ball Advance, and now we're getting a game with Shonen Jump characters. This is really a great year for DB fans. The spirit of Dragon Ball lives on. :D

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:03 pm

NO FAIR!!!! I WANT IIIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!!!:cry:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:17 pm

IAM GONNA BUY 10 OF THEM AND ROLL AROUND IN THEM !!! ... ok maybe not but, wow thats something I really didn't see comming.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:19 pm

I was already sold on a DS with the yummy built-in Pictochat and the delectable price and the oh so delicious Super Mario 64 multiplayer remake.

This is the icing on that scrumptious cake.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:48 pm

I wasn't planning on getting a DS before...but I must own this game...I'm sold. 8)

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:01 pm

That's quite a neat idea... they'll be taking Jumpland and actually making it playable!

Gotta wonder, though... how will they utilize the "DS" technology? I still remember the Sonic tech demo... rub your finger smoothly and rhythymically to increase Sonic's speed! :?
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:28 pm

at first I didn't even want a DS, I was gonna go for the PSP. But now that I see this... I want to wait around till this game comes out, and also figure out if DS games are still going to be region-free like GB games are.

I just think that have two of my favorite series together (DB + Naruto) and another I'm growing quite fond of (One Piece) together is like a dream come true!!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:42 pm

Endishiki wrote:That's quite a neat idea... they'll be taking Jumpland and actually making it playable!

Gotta wonder, though... how will they utilize the "DS" technology? I still remember the Sonic tech demo... rub your finger smoothly and rhythymically to increase Sonic's speed! :?
Yeah but, considering that we've been using d-pads and sticks for a bazillion years, I'm glad that touch technology is finally getting some good games under its belt.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:51 pm

Mugenmidget wrote:
Endishiki wrote:That's quite a neat idea... they'll be taking Jumpland and actually making it playable!

Yeah but, considering that we've been using d-pads and sticks for a bazillion years, I'm glad that touch technology is finally getting some good games under its belt.
As neat an idea as it may seem, if they don't actually do anything with that technology, it won't come out any better than Tiger's game.com. :?

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:57 pm

Endishiki wrote:
Mugenmidget wrote:

As neat an idea as it may seem, if they don't actually do anything with that technology, it won't come out any better than Tiger's game.com. :?
Well, but so far I think there is a much larger level of activity being promised.

I mean drawing clouds to save Baby Mario? Drawing Pac-Man to eat the ghosts? Slicing vegetables with the stylus? Mouse-like FPS controls? That is DEFINATELY coming out better than Game.com, with its sole usage as menu-technology.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:00 pm

I was planning to get a DS without this game. Now this is like sugar on the boat... or, whatever.

Brand Loyalty is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I love my Playstation, but the PSP looks like a piece of shit (Sorry, let me rephrase that. It's sleek and blah blah). It has no promise.

"Wow, we can play some cool Gran Turismo stuff and the graphics capabilities are soo much better than that of the DS!" I'm assuming they are, because if the PSP doesn't even have that, I'm going to shit in some skulls. The DS has potential and can do incredible things. Don't get a handheld PS2, get something new. Get a DS ASAP.

Wait, why am I ranting? Whatever, my life is a joke anyway.

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:04 pm

It does seem that the DS is actually planning to put its gimmicks to actual use (whereas the Game.com threw touchscreen and a stylus in for shits and giggles). There are a few games I'm interested in trying on it, for sure (this game, Sonic DS, and that Sonic Team scorpion game)...

But for some reason, I'm completely unexcited about both it and the PSP. I remember being excited about the release of the Game Gear... anymore, they're just stapling more and more on and hoping that some of the additions help it make a lasting impression.

Maybe I'm just bitter... :P

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:03 pm

Endishiki wrote: Maybe I'm just bitter... :P
Probably, because I know where you're coming from.

I mean, what you described is the case with most new consoles, but if you get a younger person's view, they usually have a great deal of excitement.

Now, while it is true that some of their excitement may be misplaced, I believe that somewhere along the way we either lost gaming ignorance or just don't find quite the same intrigue.

Or we're just plain bitter.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:21 pm

I have faith in the folks at Nintendo more than any of the game designers out there, and if Shigeru Myamoto (or whatever) is involved, they'll definately have some must-buy games.

However, this game I don't particularly care about.

Firstly, I hope it features Goku as a kid, because starting with the Saiyan saga and possibly even before, he has the ability to basically blow anyone or anything up just by looking at it the wrong way. In other words, I don't want to play "INCREDIBALLY UNDERPOWERED SO HE WON'T KILL EVERYBODY Super Saiyan Goku" if Goku is playable in a game. And for some reason, when I think Dragonball manga, I think of lil' rascal Goku and not stern-looking buff Goku.

I'm guessing that Goku, Luffy, and Naruto aren't the only manga "icons" that will appear, which means a bunch of seemingly random and unfathomably wierd characters from mangas an American publisher wouldn't touch with a stick will fill up the roster, which translates into it possibly not being released here and my not caring, since I really ONLY love Dragonball and just sort of like Naruto and Once Piece. And no, I don't find Naruto or One Piece very interesting, but that's beyond the point. Maybe if they were to make a ONE PIECE game, a NARUTO game, and a DRAGONBALL Z game all for the DS, they'd have my interest, since there's so much one could do with the individual universes of each manga, gameplay-wise. While I'm sure that since it's Nintendo, it'll be fun as hell, I've never had any desire to have Goku pound the shit out of the boy from "Prince of Tennis" or anyone from that silly Go manga that's in Viz's Shonen Jump, now. Well, no, maybe I have, but I don't want to pay $50 for the experience.

I just kind of see this dream project as lame and unnecessary, kind of like when they combine sitcoms for a single episode for no reason other than to get more viewers and advertise for eachother (and sitcoms are typically the lowest forms of entertainment, anyway, so it isn't a fair comparison).

The reason I'm really against this whole idea is that they're just wasting development time, when Nintendo could be granting their expertise on the development of a spectacular Naruto game, One Piece game, or Dragonball Z game.

I... know I'm alone here, but I thought I'd add an opposite point of view... for... you know... discussion... Please don't yell at me.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:07 pm

Well, I guess controversy is needed. Meh.

I have no idea if they can pull this off properly, it could either be horrible, or one of the greatest games ever. Not likely either, I'm thinking.

I have trust in it though, because if I like fooling around and having no clue what I'm doing at jumpland.com, I can expect good things having an english copy of the DS game. So if Jump All Stars = Jumpland, I'm in.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:24 pm

Well see, with these properties they are liable to be cash-ins anyways.

That's why most Dragonball Z and the few Naruto and One Piece titles kinda just go flippedy flop.

I think this way, with multiple cash-ins, they'll be spending to much time trying to appeal to more than just one fanbase, so they won't be able to do their usual machine process of chuggin' out ol' fan faithful games.

Of course this also means it could be really bland.

What I'm gonna do is just buy the DS and have fun with Pictochat all day long.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:52 pm

Yet another DB game. I'd probably go and buy the DS and this game, but then there's always the risk of Nintendo all of a sudden creating a new and improved version of the DS or something in like a year or two. Just like how just a couple years after the GBC they had the GB Advance, and a couple years after that they made the (seemingly pointless besides the light and the size difference) SP. So anwho, it'll be cool seeing DB characters fighting Naruto characters...ki vs chakra.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:27 pm

That's not really comparable though. The GBA came out quite a long while after the GBC (I haven't got exact figures to hand, but wasn't the GBC something like 97, and the GBA 2001? That's a far gap), and the SP is a GBA with a light, as you said, so it's not like you have to replace your games.

And if you're still at the point where you're complaining about new consoles coming out every 4 years...get over it.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]