Dragon Ball Z/3/Budokai Series Official Soundtrack CD's: Impossible to Find?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Thanos
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Z/3/Budokai Series Official Soundtrack CD's: Impossible to Find?

Post by Thanos » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:47 pm

I remember years ago seeing the soundtracks on CDJapan and eBay and a few other places for fairly reasonable prices. I understand the plagiarism controversy probably caused them to be pulled from stores, but that doesn't explain their consistent absence from eBay--were they simply all snatched up after the plagiarism controversy? I still wouldn't mind getting my hands on them as they are some of my favorite game soundtracks (I barely even give a shit about the plagiarism; Kikuchi is a hell of an arranger of music). Does anyone know of any other perhaps obscure sources where I might find them? Or perhaps willing to part with theirs? :)
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

coola
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z/3/Budokai Series Official Soundtrack CD's: Impossible to Find?

Post by coola » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I recommend checking out Ebay from time to time, unfortunately, there is no B3 soundtrack currently, but i found B1 and 2 :) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z- ... Swnstf38Ia
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z/3/Budokai Series Official Soundtrack CD's: Impossible to Find?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 am

I don't know if plagiarism issues really had anything to do with it; those two game soundtracks are available on Apple Music.

Also, I don't really fully totally see what the big deal is. Don't get me wrong -- if that's not what Toei wanted, then fine. But to make a huge deal out of it when for decades, wrestling (for example) has been making its own in-house version of famous music that they didn't want to pay licensing fees for. In a world of cover bands and all that stuff, there really is no reason to go overboard pulling all the music off of store shelves (or their digital counterparts).

In Apple Music or Spotify or whatever, I guarantee that you'd find allllll sorts of covers, "remixes," etc. without the owners' permission.

Again, I'm not saying that Yamamoto's plagiarism was ethical, and I think Toei was fully within their right to move away from him and replace all of Kai's score if they didn't want that for their music. But I also think that maybe everyone took it a little too far. As I've said: it's happened forever.

MCDaveG
I Live Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:18 pm

There wasn't as much plagiarism as homages to me from musical standpoint... only crazy thefts really happened in Dragon Ball Kai, like the Ebb & Flow which was note for note copy of James Horner's War from Avatar and that was baaaaaad.
It was funny, I never finished Avatar as I really didn't like the movie from start, so I haven't heard the score really, but when I heard it in the series premiere, I was like wow, Yamamoto is really great and I don't mind not having Kikuchi around :lol:

But even Guilty Gear does homages like those simmilar things in Budokai, as it is game which has a theme based on homages of Rock bands.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88