Movie 10 and its inconsistent BGM mixing

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BladeXRG

Movie 10 and its inconsistent BGM mixing

Post by BladeXRG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:04 pm

An extremely short post since there isn't much to say. Movie 10 BGMs are mixed in stereo in the movie 10 BGM Collection, however in the Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection they were mixed in mono for some odd reason; which means there are two mono cues used in Kai, M920 and M1801.
Does anyone have any clue why are they mixed in mono in the BGM Collection? Did they lose the stereo recordings? And why did they use a mono track from movie 10 fairly oftenly in Kai?

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Movie 10 and its inconsistent BGM mixing

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:43 pm

My guess is that it was just a mistake of the producer of the soundtrack release, but there is a possibility that they could not find the stereo mix masters of the DBZ Movie 10 score because of some confusions possibly caused by the bankruptcy of Forte Music Entertainment, which was a company split off from Nippon Columbia and released anime-related CDs including the soundtrack of DBZ Movie 10. FME went bankrupt in 1996, so it is possible that some of their audio masters were lost or misplaced.

As for the uses of some mono tracks in Kai, I guess they forgot to replace M920 when they were creating the final mix from the temporary music placement, and they probably mistakenly classified M1801 as a stereo track because the booklet of DBZ BGM Collection says so, which is not true. They could've easily noticed M1801 wasn't in stereo if they had listened to it carefully, but as you know, they were in a serious rush when they were replacing the score.