Most inappropriately placed music

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Most inappropriately placed music

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:07 pm

I was watching the episode where Gohan's dinosaur friend was eaten. At the end of the episode when Gohan looked onto the dinosaur's ribcage they played the music track that often goes along with humorous moments. I was almost mad because that episode was pretty danm touching to me and I have no idea why they didn't go with something more solemn. The episode was trying to be sad and instead I laughed because the music was almost saying "HA HA YOUR FRIEND DIED SILLY GOHAN!"

Anyone else find similar inappropriate music moments in the show dub or sub?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:27 pm

That sounds completely appropriate to me.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:That sounds completely appropriate to me.
Anyone besides Rocketman? :P

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm

When Cell's powering up against Gohan in episode 186 (and yes, that's episode 186, not episode 190), they pick the completely wrong music for it. They used the Spirt Bomb theme from Movie 7, one of the most peaceful songs in the entire show. And yet, the whole fucking Earth is shaking, several characters are screaming, there are animation lines all over the place, and buildings are collapsing.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:When Cell's powering up against Gohan in episode 186, they pick the completely wrong music for it. They used the Spirt Bomb theme from Movie 7, one of the most peaceful songs in the entire show. And yet, the whole fucking Earth is shaking, several characters are screaming, there are animation lines all over the place, and buildings are collapsing.
The music is sort of playing over a touching scene between father and son, y'know...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Kai has many scenes that should be silent instead of having music. That's my opinion anyway.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:35 pm

I think they overuse "A Braveheart Challenges the Strong" (the music from when Goku shows up to fight Vegeta and Nappa in Kai) now. They need another cool standard action song or a new cool special song that they only use in really epic moments.

I also think that they've underused the short song with the bass and the flute from when Goku and Piccolo first attacked Raditz.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:When Cell's powering up against Gohan in episode 186, they pick the completely wrong music for it. They used the Spirt Bomb theme from Movie 7, one of the most peaceful songs in the entire show. And yet, the whole fucking Earth is shaking, several characters are screaming, there are animation lines all over the place, and buildings are collapsing.
The music is sort of playing over a touching scene between father and son, y'know...
I'm talking about episode 186, not 190.
Cold World (Fanfic)

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Kai has had some really poor music decisions in my opinion, both on timing and usage.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Most inappropriately placed music

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:51 pm

One piece of music that's been bothering me is in a recent Kai episode, where ReaCoom breaks Gohan's neck. The scene would be so much better with that deadly silence like in Z, but for some idiotic reason they have to throw in "Destiny." It's a good song, don't get me wrong, but WHY did they have to use it here?
Or how about the fact that, even for the darkest of Cell Games episodes, they still use the same happy, adventurous recap theme, and the same happy, adventurous title card jingle! At least in DragonBall they juggled the recap music around appropriately. They have a title card theme for "crisis" episodes in Z, why don't they use it??
NeptuneKai wrote:I was watching the episode where Gohan's dinosaur friend was eaten. At the end of the episode when Gohan looked onto the dinosaur's ribcage they played the music track that often goes along with humorous moments. I was almost mad because that episode was pretty danm touching to me and I have no idea why they didn't go with something more solemn. The episode was trying to be sad and instead I laughed because the music was almost saying "HA HA YOUR FRIEND DIED SILLY GOHAN!"
Yeah, I always thought that music was realll-l-l-ly out of place for that scene.
Kendamu wrote:I think they overuse "A Braveheart Challenges the Strong" (the music from when Goku shows up to fight Vegeta and Nappa in Kai) now. They need another cool standard action song or a new cool special song that they only use in really epic moments.
Agreed. "Braveheart" was a good one until they somehow decided they needed to play it in every episode, then ran it into the ground.
I also think that they've underused the short song with the bass and the flute from when Goku and Piccolo first attacked Raditz.
If you mean "Scampering Battle!", come to think of it, you're right. It was used quite often in the early episodes, but now they haven't played it since episode 11!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm

In KAI, I think it is "Runnig Across The Land" when Gohan destroys Raditz's ship and show his real power against him...

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:They have a title card theme for "crisis" episodes in Z, why don't they use it??
Huh? Which theme are you talking about?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:40 pm

There's a title card song that's NOT a variation of Cha-la Head-cha-la. I can't remember if was ever used. Kenisu would probably know.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:40 am

In movie 2; the cheerful "Piccolo-san Daisuki" song ending on scenes of Piccolo taking the brunt of Nappa's attack.

In the episode of Z itself I think that scene is actually accompanied by choir music, and while "Daisuki" is a really cute song, the contrast when applied to that scene seems jarring.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:31 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
kenisu3000 wrote:They have a title card theme for "crisis" episodes in Z, why don't they use it??
Huh? Which theme are you talking about?
M708B.
It's the first short composition on track 3, disc 4 of the five-disc set, and track 3, disc 1 of the BGM Collection. And...
linkdude20002001 wrote: There's a title card song that's NOT a variation of Cha-la Head-cha-la. I can't remember if was ever used. Kenisu would probably know.
...they never used it. :roll:
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 am

I laughed when I saw this scene first. The funny music makes Saiyan soldiers look pitiful.
I don't understand why Shigeru Miyashita (who did the selection of musics in the entire series exept Kai) put a nonserious BGM from DB.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtfKuSAH ... 8#t=04m22s

Speaking of Kai, I've never liked Yukio Nagasaki's work. Now I miss Shigeru Miyashita. He should come back.
kenisu3000 wrote:Or how about the fact that, even for the darkest of Cell Games episodes, they still use the same happy, adventurous recap theme, and the same happy, adventurous title card jingle! At least in DragonBall they juggled the recap music around appropriately. They have a title card theme for "crisis" episodes in Z, why don't they use it??
I entirely agree with you. Since recently I got many episodes of Cell Games from the original run which has the best audio that is easy for voice extraction, I will try making a "crisis version" you'll like. :D

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:04 am

kei17 wrote:
kenisu3000 wrote:Or how about the fact that, even for the darkest of Cell Games episodes, they still use the same happy, adventurous recap theme, and the same happy, adventurous title card jingle! At least in DragonBall they juggled the recap music around appropriately. They have a title card theme for "crisis" episodes in Z, why don't they use it??
I entirely agree with you. Since recently I got many episodes of Cell Games from the original run which has the best audio that is easy for voice extraction, I will try making a "crisis version" you'll like. :D
That'd be pretty sweet. I'm looking forwards to it.

Grr... You and your superior audio. :P
I'm gonna see if Trunks'll let me borrow his time machine so I can go back in time to get the superior audio too! :lol:
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:52 am

I always thought the contrast of the piece with that scene was more of hope against despair and overcoming Cell's Kamehameha. The words of encouragement that Goku gives to Gohan.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:17 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote:
I always thought the contrast of the piece with that scene was more of hope against despair and overcoming Cell's Kamehameha. The words of encouragement that Goku gives to Gohan.
Okay, I'm going to say this in big letters:

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT EPISODE 190
Cold World (Fanfic)

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:14 pm

There are so many variations on "Kyoufu no Ginyu Tokusentai" used in the Saiya-jin arc I had to mute it.

>_>