General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Daaaaamn. Well, he managed to get me into Judas Priest again lol.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore Yamamoto rip offs...

Budokai 3 - Character Select (Versus/Challenge)

Diana Ross - Upside Down

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore Yamamoto rip offs...

Budokai 3 - Character Select (Versus/Challenge)

Diana Ross - Upside Down
Nothing new about that, as one of the YouTube commenters brought it up in this video two years ago.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:03 am

So I was just listening through Xenoverse's soundtrack and I came across a certain piece.. that certainly reminded me of something. I had a hard time to remember, but then it turned out to me.
I know it has nothing to do with Yamamoto, but I had no idea where to post it.

Here, have a SoundCloud link of the most similar part:
https://soundcloud.com/xeogran/inazuma- ... -xenoverse

I don't know whether I'm overanalyzing this, but hearing Inazuma BGMs in DBZ is quite nice :D

Seperate BGMs:

Xenoverse - Capsule Corporation

Inazuma Eleven Go (especially 0:57 - 1:13)

I mean if you compare them both at around the 1 minute mark, they sound exactly the same, lol. I have no idea whether it's purely by coincidence or not. The whole BGM has a kinda DBZ-y style to it too.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:Just when you thought there couldn't be anymore Yamamoto rip offs...
At this point, I think it's safe to say everything he did was plagiarized. Basically, if you hear a tune that sounds like it could have vocals, then it most likely did.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:56 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
At this point, I think it's safe to say everything he did was plagiarized. Basically, if you hear a tune that sounds like it could have vocals, then it most likely did.
That made me laugh way harder than it should have. :lol:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Little technical question: because Yamamoto's Kai tracks are not sold anywhere or used anymore, meaning it is impossible for a company to generate profits from it in any way, does it become legal to share it?
Since Toei has "deleted" Yamamoto's tracks from shops and episodes and won't ever use them again, making it like they never existed, does it mean they are not "protecting" those tracks anymore or will they likely still intervene if fans share those for free?

Also, on another note, I thought every DB-related Yamamoto soundtrack would be taken out, but the Budokai series soundtracks are still available for sale on iTunes (at least the French iTunes). Strange.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:16 am

Cold Skin wrote:Also, on another note, I thought every DB-related Yamamoto soundtrack would be taken out, but the Budokai series soundtracks are still available for sale on iTunes (at least the French iTunes). Strange.
I already questioned this, but isn't it true that the only reason Toei keeps the masters of the Yamamoto tracks is so that they can keep them for future reference, as a cataloged record of their existence?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 pm

^ That's a possibility, I guess.
It's still a shame that, as far as I can guess, tracks that they won't ever be able to make profit of are not made available. But I guess they'd like to avoid any attention on them, so they won't use them again, but they won't let them roam free either.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:35 am

I think Japanese TV still uses some Yamamoto tracks in other shows, like variety shows or news or something like that. Either way, I'd think it's still not okay to share them because you can't also do that when a CD goes out of print.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:03 pm

^ Right. That's weird for something that cannot get them any money anymore, but I guess that's just how it goes.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 am

The Yamamoto score probably won't be in the public domain for another 90 years or so. Even if Toei/Columbia/whoever wanted to relinquish their rights now, the plagiarized melodies might tie it to the copyrights of the Terminator Salvation score and all that.

So unfortunately, it may never be legal to distribute the Yamamoto score in our lifetimes.
-Rachel

Kraxx

Post by Kraxx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm

He's at it again folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciRq131 ... tml5=False <--Yamamoto's version (Listen to the drums)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4bMvcO ... tml5=False <--"Original" song (Around 2:52)

but here's the weird part...

A few other games also have similar drum sections:

Sonic Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_3Jz9s97c

Spiderman (2000): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLee1t6ig1I

Red Faction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5KisRX ... tml5=False

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 am

Some TV show was playing Louie Austen's Glamour Girl and I could hear the chorus Koi no NAZONAZO in my head. What do you think?

Glamour Girl
Koi no NAZONAZO

Koi no NAZONAZO seems to be a faster, upbeat version of Glamour Girl to me.

Edit: It seems Glamour Girl is from the 2000's so I guess not :lol: well, they still seem similar, though.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Sun May 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Since this plagiarism was officially revealed has Yamaoto ever made a statement? I'd really want to know his side of the story
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Ohms wrote:Since this plagiarism was officially revealed has Yamaoto ever made a statement? I'd really want to know his side of the story
He said privately that he had been banned from ever composing music again, and only arranges from now on.

BTW, 90 years for the Yamamoto BGM to be public domain? Well, I'll likely be reincarnated into someone else by then.

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Mon May 02, 2016 11:34 am

The sad thing is that while several of his pieces ARE plagiarised, the majority of these cases are the famous ones from the original Budokai soundtracks; when it comes to his stuff in Kai, the examples that people point out are mainly themes with connections that are tenuous at best with other songs that they've heard. Except for the most heavily documented instances of Yamamoto plagiarising well known songs (as well as the ones outlined by features/guides on this website), when someone thinks they hear a stolen part of a famous Hollywood soundtrack or popular/famous piece of music, it's fairly likely that the part that is common among both songs is either small and insignificant enough to not be a huge deal at all, or simple enough that any number of people might have some up with and used it before.

Judas Priest does not own this riff. I'm sure I've come up with this riff plenty of times in my head by myself, and I've never heard a single Judas Priest song.

When Yamamoto recycles an exact melody (like more than 5 or so notes) or the entire chord progression of a song, then that's inexcusable. But when it's a very simple pattern or a 3 or 4 chord pattern that shows up in both pieces, that is almost certainly not plagiarism. You could probably find it in like 3 other songs, where nobody bats an eyelid.

I'm not excusing Yamamoto for the numerous songs which he clearly stole (Battle Point Unlimited is a good example), but a lot of the heat that he gets, I don't think he deserves. In many (most) of the examples that people point out, there isn't really any theft going on. It's just their confirmation bias telling them that there is.
Last edited by KameRule on Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 02, 2016 11:49 am

That's just not an accurate assessment. The Kai pieces that WE have at least documented are for good reason: they're note-for-note/progression-for-progression the same as the blockbuster films they're stripped from. If it wasn't such a legitimate concern, Toei would not have - for example - done the interstitial edit specifically removing "The Ebb and The Flow" from episode 56 before doing the full Kikuchi swipe.

It is absolutely not just a case of "tenuous at best" connections with these Kai tunes. These are not just some short chord patterns. I mean, the random "clank" noises in the Terminator song happen at the exact same point in "A New Foe Rears His Head" beyond all the other stuff that's being played as-is.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Mon May 02, 2016 12:30 pm

I think the plagiarism in Kai is too well documented to deny, that being said, I do think Yamamoto does have some original tracks mixed in with the stolen. Overall I can't help but think it's a shame he isn't allowed to compose anymore, I think his OSTs were the highlight of Kai and the games.
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Mon May 02, 2016 6:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:That's just not an accurate assessment. The Kai pieces that WE have at least documented are for good reason: they're note-for-note/progression-for-progression the same as the blockbuster films they're stripped from. If it wasn't such a legitimate concern, Toei would not have - for example - done the interstitial edit specifically removing "The Ebb and The Flow" from episode 56 before doing the full Kikuchi swipe.
Oh, I wasn't referring to the website guides/documents about the cases, the examples listed in the link you provided are all completely valid. I should have worded my post better; I didn't mean to say that all of his plagiarised pieces are from the video game soundtracks, I was just criticising the tendency for some fans (in this thread or YouTube comment sections etc.) to make weak connections between Yamamoto pieces and popular songs and cry plagiarism. I'll fix up that post real quick.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.