General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:This is what I really don't like about Yamamoto and my most favourite of DB composers is Kikuchi.
His music in Dragon Ball Kai seems pretty original so far.
I hope....
This is funny, Track 8 from Kai OST vol. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RduPZ2FIZPc
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 am

penguintruth wrote:This is almost as lame as the plagarism "case" against Yoko Kanno.
Hey, I love Yoko Kanno to death, don't get me wrong, but do you honestly think all of her shit is original?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:24 am

I've actually got an example of the opposite of what this thread is about, Yamamoto himself being ripped off. In the movie Cop Out (which is horribly unfunny by the way) there's a scene where what sounds almost exactly like the beginning of the shop theme from Infinite World plays. I couldn't believe how similar it sounded. Unfortunately there's no legal way to make a comparison of the two songs, but when the movie goes on Netflix I might rent it to make a comparison.
­

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 am

Or maybe the song was a "rip off" of whatever song Capsule Co. (the shop song) was based off of. It sounds like a Daft Punk song, but I haven't heard all of their songs. Anyone else hear a resemblence to any specific Daft Punk song?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Or maybe the song was a "rip off" of whatever song Capsule Co. (the shop song) was based off of. It sounds like a Daft Punk song, but I haven't heard all of their songs. Anyone else hear a resemblence to any specific Daft Punk song?
The majority of the song sounds like "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger", but the part I'm talking about is specifically the very beginning, which isn't that similar to H,B,F,S.
­

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I was thinking maybe the beginning sounds like another Daft Punk song. Kenji's borrowed from multiple songs by the same artist for a single song before, so maybe it's the same with this song. Though I think this one was actually by Kanon.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm

but Daft Punk is also rip off, Harder Better Faster Stronger is using sampled parts from Cola Bottle Baby by Edwin Birdsong, they also used tracks from George Duke, Breakwater, Cerrone, Tata Vega etc. simply they are sampling funk and disco and only few things from them is real original...... So here we go Kenji Punk.
But that Capsule co. music is indeed quite simmilar to that instrumental.

What, Robot Rock??? No! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsXBwmw0lTw
:lol:
Sorry for Off-topic.

Space People DBZ have a lot simmilar melodies with Kraftwerk's Pocket Calculator.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

@Mods Sorry for necro posting, but since I bring up something others haven't I believe it's a valid point for continuing this thread.

Some other interesting ones.
An updated classic.
A classic!
Not again!! :evil:
Yamamoto ripping off himself.
The man called "C"
The clouds of war spread
I don't know if he had already used samples to create "The man called "C"" though :?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Wow. And here I was just looking up this thread last night so I could show my friend.

Thieving or not, I love Yamamoto's music. And "borrowing" from other songs seems to be pretty common in Japan. It's like a homage to the original son/artist or something. At least, that's what I'd assume their thinking.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:13 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Wow. And here I was just looking up this thread last night so I could show my friend.

Thieving or not, I love Yamamoto's music. And "borrowing" from other songs seems to be pretty common in Japan. It's like a homage to the original son/artist or something. At least, that's what I'd assume their thinking.
I think the same, In my opinion Yamamoto's the ultimate Db Composer and arranger, he's been like in every vocal song and not only in series but in all movies and games also non kikuchi's Score for db and dbz (except for GT)

Also, he tends to "remake" the songs or musical scores better than the originals xD,

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Oh wow, that's the closest thing I've heard in this thread. Great find.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

As I already pointed out in the general discussion for ep 77 of DBK the track that plays, immediately after Goku and Gohan enters the ROSAT sounds a lot like Bolero - a classical piece also used in Digimon.
Original
Digimon
Dragonball Kai
The Dragonball Kai one is slightly rearranged and it even uses the name Bolero, so it's obvious it's a tribute to the original just like the Digimon one was and not just Yamamoto trying to hide the fact from everyone.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Turtle Marked Stone wrote: Oh wow, that's the closest thing I've heard in this thread. Great find.
Thanks. That has to get the most blatant rip-off Yamamoto's ever done.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:59 am

Then of course we have Yamamoto collaborating with "Tower of Power" to create the music of DBZ 2/Budokai 2, so it isn't really him rippin off, it's rather updated/fresh versions of "Tower of Power"'s old songs.

ToP: "Only so much oil in the ground"
DBZ 2: "Only so much oil in the ground" - the fact, that they share the same name should make one realize, that it's completely intentional, they sound similar.

ToP: "Soul Vaccination"
DBZ 2: "Soul Vaccination"

ToP: "Soul with a capital 'S'"
DBZ 2: "Soul with a capital 'S'"

It seems like Mr. Yamamoto likes every kinds of music...
starting at 0:28, check this out..
..and compare it to this

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:59 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:This is what I really don't like about Yamamoto and my most favourite of DB composers is Kikuchi.
Clearly you missed the numerous tunes recycled from the games and the giant Avatar rip off.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Clearly you missed the numerous tunes recycled from the games and the giant Avatar rip off.
I made that post all the way back in February, where I'd only seen the first four or so episodes of the series.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: I made that post all the way back in February, where I'd only seen the first four or so episodes of the series.
Yeah, apparently this thread has a second page that I didn't notice :P.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Found another one. Embrace the Blue Sky from Budokai 3 sounds like Journey's Be Good to Yourself. Take a listen:

Budokai 3 ~ Embrace the Blue Sky

Journey ~ Be Good to Yourself

If you think of Embrace the Blue Sky while listening to Be Good to Yourself, you can really hear the similarity, especially in the first 14 seconds. It's really uncanny how much these two songs sound alike. Yamamoto must be paying an homage to Journey...