This Has Been Driving Me Nuts (Looking for a certain theme)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Izlude
Regular

This Has Been Driving Me Nuts (Looking for a certain theme)

Post by Izlude » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:52 am

I've had this theme from the Japanese Dragon Ball Z series stuck in my head for the longest time, and I simply cannot find it anywhere, can't find a name on it or anything. I've checked numerous bgm collections and it's always absent.

The theme in particular plays when Goku buries Vegeta while he gives his last words before confronting Freeza, it is played in Movie 3 during Goku's first Spirit Bomb attempt, and it was used again when Gohan first successfully transformed into a Super Saiyan in the Spirit & Time Room.

So anyone got any leads on it?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: This Has Been Driving Me Nuts (Looking for a certain theme)

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am

I always called it "Dun-Dun-Dun" as a pet-name. It seems like other people have adopted this from me, which tickles me pink :).

Knowing where it originated (DBZ Movie 3) is really all you need. The first place it popped up was on the first Ongakushû ("Background Music Collection") within the track for DBZ Movie 3 (itself named the same title as the movie: "(Suite:) Super Deciding Battle For the Entire Planet Earth".

It didn't show up for a while after that. In fact... I think that's it. It's not on the Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection (3-Disc Set), right...?

It's one of those pieces, much like "Battle Point Unlimited", where you need to track down one very specific CD to get it, since it wasn't re-packaged twenty gazillion times later on.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 am

This is why Daizex is my favorite DBZ website for over 12 years. Always has the exact info I want. :D

Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it. A quick Google search and I found just what I needed. A shame that they don't re-release some of the more rare/obscure bgm from throughout the series. I think DragonBall probably has some of the richest music of any anime series out there, I love it even more than Hokuto no Ken.

Thanks again.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:I always called it "Dun-Dun-Dun" as a pet-name. It seems like other people have adopted this from me, which tickles me pink :).
Yup, I definitely call it by that name. Without an official name for the song, I don't think there's any better way to describe it! Once you hear it, it's impossible to forget that "Dun-Dun-Dun" sound. :D
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:52 pm

I know the question has been answered, but can we just use this thread to discuss how great this theme is?

It's easily one of my favorite pieces in all three series. Every time it plays is awesome. Particularly Goku challenging Freeza and Gohan's first Super Saiyan transformation, which I did not remember at all and absolutely blew me out of the water when I saw it on Dragon Box 4.

supergokuden2

Post by supergokuden2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm

FYI, no, it is NOT on the Complete BGM collection.