Dragon Ball Z Movie Dubbed Music Composers

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z Movie Dubbed Music Composers

Post by GreggMays64 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I am confused. Nathan Johnson did the music for the first 67 episodes, while Bruce Faulconer did the rest, including the two specials.. Mark Meza did the whole Dragon Ball GT including the special. But who did the movies? I know the main composers were Bruce Faulconer, Mark Menza, and Nathan Johnson. But which one did which? What were the real bands that were used?

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movie Dubbed Music Composers

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Actually, the two TV Specials also used "real music", being considered features in the states. As for specific composers in the other movies, nothing comes to mind. The bands that were used in some of the movies are Caviar, Sum41, American Hi-Fi, Saliva, Dream Theater, Dust for Life, Deftones, Finger Eleven, Dust for Life, American Pearl, Boy Hits Car, Disturbed, Breaking Point, Drowning Pool, Tendril, Brave Combo, Pointy Shoe Factory, Doosu, The Aleph, Slow Roosevelt, Spoonfed Tribe, Dokodemo Doa, Pantera, Gravity Pool, Haji's Kitchen, and El Gato. They mostly got one or two tracks form an artist, which is why there are so many, although the entire soundtrack for the Trunks special was Dream Theater.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and how is this "In-Universe"?
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Movies 1-3 originally had the Japanese score. When Funi redubbed them, Nate Johnson did the score. Movie 4 had some Faulconer stuff and some band music (excellent use of Disturbed's "Stupefy" when Goku goes kind-of SSJ). Movie 5 was almost exclusively band music.

Movies 6 and 7 were Mark Menza. Menza's movie 6 debut was unique because it's widely viewed as the best thing, and arguably the only good thing, he did for DBZ. Then Movie 8 had some Menza, some Faulconer, and some live bands. Movie 9 was all Menza. 10 combined Menza and only one or two live band songs. 11 was the same I think (I could be wrong; only ever watched it once despite owning 2 copies of it on 2 releases). Finally, movies 12 and 13 were--I think--both Menza.

So in sum, Menza contributed in some way to every movie from 6-13 and all of GT, including its TV special. Faulconer music was only used in movies 4 and 8. Johnson scored 1-3 when they were redubbed. Finally, live bands appear in 4, 5, 8, 10, and possibly 11.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Also, DBZ Movie Three had a score by Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi when FUNi first dubbed it. Then Geneon got the rights to them from FUNi and their dub had the original Japanese score.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 pm

xzero wrote:Finally, movies 12 and 13 were--I think--both Menza.
Movies 12 & 13 were Johnson. The double features incorrectly credits Menza for composing the music.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Wasn't there some guy who composed the theme song and some instrumentals for the 'TV Specials' as well as the 'real' bands. I think his name was Andy Baylor or something.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:48 am

I think you might be thinking of Mark Akin:

http://www.mark-akin.com/dragonball_z.htm
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:04 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:I think you might be thinking of Mark Akin:

http://www.mark-akin.com/dragonball_z.htm
Geeze, I'm looking at that, I never knew Dale Kelly was a musician.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:27 am

Dale Kelly was a man of many talents but then disappeared like he was never there to begin with, being replaced by new faces.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada