ZARD Streaming All Day!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

ZARD Streaming All Day!

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm

As some may know, 2011 marked the twentieth anniversary of ZARD's debut (February 10, 1991). Fans got a single collection featuring 100 songs on that day last year, and this year, on New Years Day they received an album collection of 128 songs. This compilation included a bonus disc, featuring the TV arrangement of "Don't you see!" from GT. Today, Nico Nico Douga (a Japanese video site) is streaming twenty-four hours of ZARD music, including all singles, albums, and other treats. There will apparently by a segment later today on anime, including GT. Be sure to check it out! Just visit this site, sign up for free, and enjoy some good J-Pop!
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

SonEric84
Banned

Re: ZARD Streaming All Day!

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I love ZARD, thanks for sharing this! I wonder if the GT version of "Don't You See!" is still t.v. size only?

Edit: D'oh...just realized I am a day late.
Trans rights, now!

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Dang it, I missed it too!

I really wanna get the album collection, it's £214.99 ($330.75) on YesAsia with free postage- which is a price I could afford but I really cannot be bothered with paying VAT & customs duty on it though, so I'm really split. :(

SonEric84 wrote:I wonder if the GT version of "Don't You See!" is still t.v. size only?
Yeah, what I've read is that Don't you see! is 1.39 minutes, and is called the "TV on-air ver."

Oh and I almost forgot, I found out something interesting about one of the tracks on the bonus disc #12. One of the tracks
"さらば青春の影よ" (I think it means something like Shadows Of Quadrophenia, roughly) was arranged by none other than Akihito Tokunaga, the composer for DBGT.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote: Oh and I almost forgot, I found out something interesting about one of the tracks on the bonus disc #12. One of the tracks
"さらば青春の影よ" (I think it means something like Shadows Of Quadrophenia, roughly) was arranged by none other than Akihito Tokunaga, the composer for DBGT.
Akihito Tokunaga composed and arranged a few of ZARD's songs. "Eien" was one of them. It's funny how ZARD connected all of GT, in a way.

Akihito Tokunaga composes GT and some ZARD music --> ZARD's song is used in GT (oddly enough, Tokunaga didn't compose it, though, which would have been awesome) ---> Izumi-san writes a GT song. ---> She has written for DEEN and Wands ---> She recorded a song with WANDS.

Oh, and that track "Shadows of Quadrophenia" is a self-cover demo. She wrote the song for Shinichi Mori in 2004.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:01 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:Akihito Tokunaga composed and arranged a few of ZARD's songs.
Oh cool, I wasn't aware of that! I knew that Sakai hadn't arranged all of ZARD's tracks but I never actually knew who else had contributed until I read about Tokunaga/Shadows Of Quadrophenia the other day. I wasn't aware of the fact it was a self-cover either!

Yeah I knew about her connections to the other bands, I've always thought it was pretty cool with the GT connection too! I like how ZARD were known for doing self-covers (like DAN DAN) I find it weirdly fascinating. I would loved to have heard ZARD do some cover versions of the other GT songs, like Sabitsuita Machine Gun - that would have been wonderful :D

Thanks for the info, I learnt something new there!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:
DBZfan29 wrote:Akihito Tokunaga composed and arranged a few of ZARD's songs.
Oh cool, I wasn't aware of that! I knew that Sakai hadn't arranged all of ZARD's tracks but I never actually knew who else had contributed until I read about Tokunaga/Shadows Of Quadrophenia the other day. I wasn't aware of the fact it was a self-cover either!

Yeah I knew about her connections to the other bands, I've always thought it was pretty cool with the GT connection too! I like how ZARD were known for doing self-covers (like DAN DAN) I find it weirdly fascinating. I would loved to have heard ZARD do some cover versions of the other GT songs, like Sabitsuita Machine Gun - that would have been wonderful :D

Thanks for the info, I learnt something new there!
Well, since you like the info, here's more! ZARD has only done covers for songs she wrote herself, but there are some exceptions. She's done "Can't take my eyes off of you" and "Black Velvet" by American singers. Also, the songs "Boy" and "Kimi ga Inai" are sort of response songs. "Boy" was a rewrite of a song called "Girl" and "Kimi ga Inai" was a rewrite of the song by the composer (he's also a singer) released two years before ZARD did it. I love the miscellaneous info! :P

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm

That's really interesting! In any articles or discography listings I've read there's never been mention of the songs being covers, so until now I had suspected she/they had never done any outside of the songs Izumi Sakai wrote. Mustn't be reading the in the best places :P

I like hearing "new" info about old songs 'cause (errr..) well say I hear the story behind a particular song, I find myself thinking "Ahh, now see what they're getting at there". It's fun!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 am

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:Yeah, what I've read is that Don't you see! is 1.39 minutes, and is called the "TV on-air ver."
Ah, yeah thanks..I ended up finding that out shortly after my post. It's great that it was finally released officially after all this time, but I wish there was a full version too.

DBZfan29 wrote:Well, since you like the info, here's more! ZARD has only done covers for songs she wrote herself, but there are some exceptions. She's done "Can't take my eyes off of you" and "Black Velvet" by American singers. Also, the songs "Boy" and "Kimi ga Inai" are sort of response songs. "Boy" was a rewrite of a song called "Girl" and "Kimi ga Inai" was a rewrite of the song by the composer (he's also a singer) released two years before ZARD did it. I love the miscellaneous info! :P

Wait, so who performed the songs "Girl" and Kimi ga Inai? I'd like to hear them. I know Akihito Tokunaga is in the band DOA where he is a bassist/vocalist.
Trans rights, now!

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Maaan, my posts in this thread have been ultimately pointless haha! :lol: But yeah, I agree. It's cool
that it's getting released, hopefully the sound quality with be better than how it sounds in GT.

The Akihito Tokunaga thing was such a surprise to me that I thought I'd share it- I've never been able to find any info on the guy, outside of DBGT & DB Movie 4.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Since I cannot seem to quote you both at once, I will try my best to answer!

Akihito Tokunaga is in a band called doa.

As for "Kimi ga Inai," it was released by Seichirou Kuribayashi (composer of ZARD's version, as well as "Don't you see!") on his album "You Never Know" released in 1991. It is very different, but you can definitely hear the horns and even the lyrics at time being very similar.

As for "Boy," the original song is "Girl Ima Demo" (the first words of "Boy" happen to be "Boy ima demo") also by Kuribayashi from album "LA JOLLA" released in 1989.

ZARD and Kuribayashi had a very close relationship in the music world. He composed many of her songs, and even appeared on songs like "Don't you see!" (he says "Send him my love") and "Sayonara wa Ima mo Kono Mune ni Imasu." She even appeared on the songs she wrote for him (which she later self covered), including "Christmas Time" and "LOVE." Kuribayashi also covered songs from artists he composed for, doing English versions of "I still remember" and "Anata ni Kaeritai" (which ZARD also harmonized on).