Did Kikuchi rip off James Bond?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Did Kikuchi rip off James Bond?

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
http://youtu.be/6BIiVNXCYO4 (Faulconer DBZ - Aristocratic British) this kind of sounds like something from Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing or other retro games, is this considered a rip-off?
Haha, well at the time I hadn't played either of those games, Animal Crossing didn't exist. That clip was written in about the time it takes to listen to it btw. Perhaps slightly more.

On the other hand I can point you to a different example where I unknowingly ripped off Final Fantasy 9 in 2004 (not Z stuff), I didn't figure out I had plagiarized until like about a year ago when I revisited the game. It was scary, note for note kinda stuff.

[EDIT]
I think that "British" piece was probably emulating cheesy chamber music I played in high school band. I used to play trombone (badly).

Stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osiy9jGWIaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3EhkLYfSw4
(lol that's the same piece, two different keys and performances)

[/EDIT]
Last edited by cRookie_Monster on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Here's my collaboration!

Looks like kikuchi might have liked Saint seiya!! I found his "Tabidachi" piece of the dragon ball soundtrack sounds a lil bit like a the 3th piece of saint seiya's "Finish Hymn of Light" Soundtrack!.

Tabidachi - Shunsuke Kikuchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qPCtizN9Q

Finish Hymn of Light - Seiji Yokoyama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7h_iy3d_7E#t=2m48s

Does someone think Kikuchi did a much better job on DB's Score than in dbz? Methinkso!

Man.... I would have frigging loved if Yokoyama scored Dbz XD

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 pm

cRookie_Monster @ You might want to change that (quote-username), just to clear out the confusion it may make for some users.

AoiKageNoChikara @ I agree, I've not listen to all Dr. Slump and Arale-chan tracks he composed, it sounded better & more positive, but the DBZ soundtrack he did for DBZ is wonderful. I love it.

Whenever there's a new DBZ game it never comes with the original Dragon Ball Z series music, god damn it! :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 pm

AoiKageNoChikara wrote:Does someone think Kikuchi did a much better job on DB's Score than in dbz? Methinkso!
Hell yes! I listen to his Dragonball pieces and they are all awesome from beginning to end.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Thank you, Kei17.

Shunsuke Kikuchi isn't a thief as Kenji Yamamoto was/is, Kikuchi produces his own music with his ideals.

For Yamamoto to have lasted so many years robbing other musicians he surely had no respect for himself nor for his own work.

http://youtu.be/6BIiVNXCYO4 (Faulconer DBZ - Aristocratic British) this kind of sounds like something from Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing or other retro games, is this considered a rip-off?
I never did say he DID rip anything off but it definitely has the same notes and tempo as James Bond. It's funny to notice this many years later. The Faulconer stuff is pretty much original sans the Buu theme.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Attitudefan wrote: I never did say he DID rip anything off but it definitely has the same notes and tempo as James Bond. It's funny to notice this many years later. The Faulconer stuff is pretty much original sans the Buu theme.
What about the Buu theme? And which theme are we talking? Fat, Evil, Super, Kid?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 pm

I think it's kid or Super Buu's theme. If I remember correctly, it is based off some rock song that came out around the same time.

Another James Bond sound used is in "Yume wo Oshiete". The beggining is completely James Bond note for note, just threw in a sax over it.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 am

Attitudefan wrote:I think it's kid or Super Buu's theme. If I remember correctly, it is based off some rock song that came out around the same time.

Another James Bond sound used is in "Yume wo Oshiete". The beggining is completely James Bond note for note, just threw in a sax over it.
Marmalade by System of a Down. People made comments about it on videos I've seen with the song (Super Buu Theme) solely by itself.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:I think it's kid or Super Buu's theme. If I remember correctly, it is based off some rock song that came out around the same time.

Marmalade by System of a Down. People made comments about it on videos I've seen with the song (Super Buu Theme) solely by itself.
I'd be really surprised if Julius or Bruce listened to System of a Down, though the Funi guys could have called it out as an example. Probably just a coincidence.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:

I'd be really surprised if Julius or Bruce listened to System of a Down, though the Funi guys could have called it out as an example. Probably just a coincidence.
That's what I think but then again, who knows. FUNi higher ups probably asked it to sound like that song.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:42 am

AoiKageNoChikara wrote:Looks like kikuchi might have liked Saint seiya!! I found his "Tabidachi" piece of the dragon ball soundtrack sounds a lil bit like a the 3th piece of saint seiya's "Finish Hymn of Light" Soundtrack!.

Tabidachi - Shunsuke Kikuchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qPCtizN9Q

Finish Hymn of Light - Seiji Yokoyama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7h_iy3d_7E#t=2m48s
Honestly, I don't hear any similaritis at all.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 am

Honestly, I don't hear any similaritis at all.
Just a few of the First notes. :3 That's the only similarity, Still nice to point out though :3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:12 am

There's so little similarity that it's almost none, as for sounding it's not even alike but the very few notes I can see where you're getting at.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray