REVIEW: Makafushigi Adobenchâ! -2005-

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

REVIEW: Makafushigi Adobenchâ! -2005-

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Makafushigi Adobenchâ! -2005-
"Mystical Adventure! -2005-"

KDSD-73
¥1200
9 tracks
20 July 2005

Tracklisting:

( 01 ) Makafushigi Adobenchâ! (Mystical Adventure!)
( 02 ) Mezase Tenka-ichi (Aim to Be the Greatest on Earth)
( 03 ) Doragonbôru Densetsu (The Dragon Ball Legend)
( 04 ) Aoki Tabibito-tachi (The Blue Travelers)
( 05 ) Makafushigi Adobenchâ! (DJ Dr.Knob Remix) (Mystical Adventure! (DJ Dr.Knob Remix))
( 06 ) Makafushigi Adobenchâ! (Instrumental) (Mystical Adventure! (Instrumental))
( 07 ) Mezase Tenka-ichi (Instrumental) (Aim to Be the Greatest on Earth (Instrumental))
( 08 ) Doragonbôru Densetsu (Instrumental) (The Dragon Ball Legend (Instrumental))
( 09 ) Aoki Tabibito-tachi (Instrumental) (The Blue Travelers (Instrumental))

REVIEW:

For the most part, I wasn't looking forward to this CD. I had heard some of the samples before its release over on the official Team Entertainment website, and I was just flabbergasted. What WAS this? For something that was supposed to be a "2005 version," it sure didn't sound like it. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by the incredible production values of the two recent Budokai theme songs (DBZ2 & DBZ3 openings), but shouldn't I expect more...?

For those who don't know about this CD, it was originally hyped as containing "self-covers" of the popular DragonBall songs, all performed by their original artist (in this case, Hiroki Takahashi). Upon reading that initial statement, I went into fanboy shock/glee. How awesome would this be?!? Old favorite songs re-recorded (nearly 20 years later) with an updated style! Sweet!

So, back to the first paragraph... what WAS this?!

The songs are just... well... sub-standard. Hiroki Takahashi can't be all that young, anymore, and it certainly sounds like almost pure boredom in the vocal performances. There was so much energy in the original late-1980's versions, while these just feel abnormally flat. The "I GOT IT!" chants in the "Doragonbôru Densetsu" opening almost sound like they contain something resembling emotion, but not quite enough. Right before the "Let's try try try..." in the title track, on that elongated singing, it sounds like he's not quite sure where the song's going, how long to sing, or on what "beat" to change the note he's singing. It's almost sad.

The production values leave a lot to be desired. As stated, this is supposed to be a "2005 version," so what's with the low-budget, near-100%-computer-generated music? Seriously, "Computer Programming" is credited on all four of the songs. Sure, there's some "guitar" and "keyboard" credits, too... but the whole thing just sounds like a somewhat-higher-than-MIDI quality. I've heard MIDIs of these songs before... ten years ago.

So is there anything redeeming about the CD? Well, the cover art's fantastic. OK, seriously... the remix of the title track is pretty interesting. It's much more of a remix than what's passed off as one on DBZ Hit 5, etc. (the "New Remix Long Version"), so I'll at least give it that much credit. Which song do I like the most? Probably "Aoki Tabibito-tachi," and probably because it's the song I know the least, and therefore get the least upset over hearing it done so poorly.

Long story short, if I want to hear lackluster singing on top of MIDI files, I'll load up the MIDIs and sing the damn songs myself. Not an extremely recommended CD; it seems like nothing more than a "quick-buck" to be made, at the expense of fans like myself. At the same time, it's not entirely expensive, so if you're going to be ordering a bunch of other stuff online (and can therefore make the shipping worthwhile), or can pick it up at a convention (where there's no shipping charge)... eh... if you feel like it, go for it. Don't expect too much.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32 am

On a side note, the cover is pretty.

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:03 pm

It's funny, because I was thinking the EXACT same thing on the "I GOT IT" chants too. I did find the remix on the CD to be rather enjoyable since there was enough distortion in the singing to warrant the overwhelming amount of computer generated sound effects...oh well. I got my cover art sticker. On a different note, I'm looking forward to the "We Gotta Power" and Cha-La Head Cha-La" single!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:15 pm

Being that I'd thought Takahashi had fallen off the face of the Earth, and DB is my favorite portion of the series (as well as the portion I know best), I was pretty excited when I first heard about this CD. But I'm rather disappointed to find out that such a poor job was done with it. :?

Of course, maybe I'll feel differently when I check out the CD for myself, but I'm not terribly hopeful about it. And I already don't much care for the remix on the 5-CD set. (To be silly, I usually call it the "New Remix Wrong Version".)

I do have to agree about the cover art being pretty, though.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:21 pm

What about the instrumental Version? Is it Karaoke (can you sing to it?) or does it have this "vocal-replacement-crap"? -_-"

Kyokochan

well, I STILL want mine u_u

Post by Kyokochan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:54 pm

For some odd reason, mine hasn't come in the mail yet. I used the EMS shipping option and pre-ordered it when I saw the post on your site for it.

This has NEVER happened to me before. I'd always get the Dragonball Z/ 2 and 3 soundracks like three days after they were released...very strange. It's kinda startin' to piss me off a 'lil bit. :evil:

I e-mailed CD Japan asking them what was going on and they mailed me back with "Your order contains an item that have not yet
been released" ....whatever that means. Maybe they ran out of stickers or something :shock:

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Nice review, EX. BTW, does anyone know why a guest was able to post? Or, was the person banned?

Son Goku
Regular

Re: REVIEW: Makafushigi Adobenchâ! -2005-

Post by Son Goku » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:28 pm

Great review! Wasn't gonna get the cd anyways (only $1.75 to my name :( ) but at least I know not now :P )
VegettoEX wrote:If I want to hear lackluster singing on top of MIDI files, I'll load up the MIDIs and sing the damn songs myself.
I just had an idea :idea: you could do that next april fool's and trick all of us into thinking they re-re-released it :P
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Kyokochan

....somethin' wrong with that? >.>;

Post by Kyokochan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:15 pm

I actually never was a member to begin with so I don't know. I just figured anyone could post comments being a guest. I've done it before on another board.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:54 am

Son_Gokou wrote:Nice review, EX. BTW, does anyone know why a guest was able to post? Or, was the person banned?
This new forum obviously hasn't been properly set up yet. I also accidentally posted as a guest in another thread too. Oops! :D

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:56 pm

Timo wrote:What about the instrumental Version? Is it Karaoke (can you sing to it?) or does it have this "vocal-replacement-crap"? -_-"
It's karaoke, and it's available for all the songs on the disc, except for the remix track. I'm actually going to see if I can lift the vocals from the original recording of "Doragonbôru Densetsu" and drop them on the karaoke version on this disc since I like the vocals on that version better. I've done it before with some other songs, hopefully it'll work.

Raiden

Post by Raiden » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:57 am

Hello. Great post.
I have that two singles and I am pretty agree with all you say about it. But anyway it is always interesting receiving new and official music material. Are we closer than ever to an anime remake too? who knows...
My favourite track is the "Makafushigi Adobenchâ! (DJ Dr.Knob Remix)
Mystical Adventure! (DJ Dr.Knob Remix)".