Unmei no Hi ~Tamashī VS Tamashī~ specific lyrical meaning

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Wukong
Regular

Unmei no Hi ~Tamashī VS Tamashī~ specific lyrical meaning

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey guys,

it has been a long time ago since I last visited this website. Nice to know it exist (and combined). What's also nice is that I can still remember my username :P

So there is a thing I was wondering about lately when being busy thinking about life and all. It's about the word "fate".
Listening to Unmei no Hi ~Tamashī VS Tamashī~ and reading the lyrics that Julian (I believe) has translated for on this website, there is a specific part:
"暗闇を飛ばせ!!"
that is translated as :
And send fate flying!!

What I'de like to know is whether "send fate flying" here is meant as "catalyzing your destiny'' OR exactly the opposite, as in "throwing away that to wich you are bound to and deciding for yourself"?
Not sure if someone gets what I mean, but be free to ask me for a further clarification.

Thanks.

damkylan

Re: Unmei no Hi ~Tamashī VS Tamashī~ specific lyrical meanin

Post by damkylan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 am

Never really thought about it, but I like the sounds of the second meaning. Sounds to me like the age-old theme of the odds being so against the good guys that it seems like the only possible outcome is death/defeat, and then gaining the will to ignore that prospect and change it. Given Gohan's character at this point, constantly despairing that he can't get the job done and will lose, it seems fitting.

But that's just me. The idea of acting to reach the greatness that you're destined for fits just as well. "Send fate flying" just sounds more like telling fate to piss off, in my opinion. :P

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: Unmei no Hi ~Tamashī VS Tamashī~ specific lyrical meanin

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:58 am

I'm in favour of the first one too but I just wanted to know for sure :)