One more time: Z Music suggestions :)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: One more time: Z Music suggestions :)

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:36 am

Where is that from?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Where is that from?

No idea, I just like the gif, & it fit here. :D

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok I got sick this week and decided to write some while I was at home =)
>Cell Theme #1: Gestation<

(oh and my sinuses were clogged while doing this so...yeah...risky)
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:Ok I got sick this week and decided to write some while I was at home =)

I just checked this thread about 5 minutes before this was posted to see if there was anything new. :mrgreen:

Wow. So creepy & ominous. I can hear some elements that remind me of your other android themes, but ramped up, which I like a lot. I can't wait to see how you build off this for the other forms, it's beyond badass.

Also, I just thought: are you planning to do a 'Super-Perfect' theme for him when he comes back after destroying himself, or just the main ones?

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 pm

MalikArcanum wrote:
cRookie_Monster wrote:Ok I got sick this week and decided to write some while I was at home =)

I just checked this thread about 5 minutes before this was posted to see if there was anything new. :mrgreen:

Wow. So creepy & ominous. I can hear some elements that remind me of your other android themes, but ramped up, which I like a lot. I can't wait to see how you build off this for the other forms, it's beyond badass.

Also, I just thought: are you planning to do a 'Super-Perfect' theme for him when he comes back after destroying himself, or just the main ones?
Thanks :) The goal is to leave the Faulconer sound behind for these new themes. I think the Z music album kinda proved the point I was going for. On the actual show there was never a need to "prove" my identity so we were free to evolve. That's one thing that's exciting about letting go and just writing whatever I think works with all the neat toys that are available today. IE most of this new track uses NI Komplete (yay I can actually talk about the sounds!) but I do have one key old "Faulconer" sound in there.

I think I'm just going to go for the 3 main forms from here. I'm so slow these days, that'll probably take a while, especially the Imperfect one... My idea for that will probably be a headache to pull off.

I did think for a moment about the difference between Egg and Larval forms...but meh, I would score them the same way I think. The "Gestation" theme hits both for me.

Oh and by the time we get to Perfect cell, it will be the same melody construction method that the 17/18 theme had (as well as Raichi). The Gestation theme is based on a "cell" of 3 notes: A B and Bb. We'll add 3 more to that next time :)

[EDIT] Actually...I seem to be flailing around deciding on an exact style for Imperfect Cell. The "Faulconer theme" was kinda silly with that beat haha. That one just kinda came out with a particular scene. I'm listening to Front Line Assembly again, ah yes...might help. Any more suggestions? More editing...going back and rewatching Imp. Cell's introduction. Wow Mike put in all these references to other character themes(esp Frieza and King Cold) over ambient beds. So cool. Hmm... One thing I'm thinking about is the difference between scoring the actual show and making themes for fun. After rewatching a bunch of IMp. Cell stuff, for the show I would probably focus on a slower theme that could be used a lot, like a replacement for "Cell's Slow Theme". But this is for fun and people are more interested in the bad ass themes, regardless of whether they are realistic to be used much in the show. Just random thoughts. I'm probably going to scratch what I recorded tonight. Doesn't work for me yet.[/EDIT]
- Scott

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Double post, delete please.
Last edited by MalikArcanum on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:

Thanks :) The goal is to leave the Faulconer sound behind for these new themes. I think the Z music album kinda proved the point I was going for. On the actual show there was never a need to "prove" my identity so we were free to evolve. That's one thing that's exciting about letting go and just writing whatever I think works with all the neat toys that are available today. IE most of this new track uses NI Komplete (yay I can actually talk about the sounds!) but I do have one key old "Faulconer" sound in there.
Oh, I know. That's why I love it. It's still clearly your work, and Z-styled, but taken to a different place sonically.
cRookie_Monster wrote: Any more suggestions?

Well, if you're looking for more dark, Industrial/Electronic music for inspiration, I can supply that in spades :)
A lot of these are more aggressive than the FLA, but from what little I know of your musical taste, you shouldn't mind that at all.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but if you were to decide to do some more subdued themes, more fitted to being part of an actual score for the show, I'd be very happy with that as well. Do whatever you feel like, man! :wink:

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:09 am

I dunno. I rather enjoy Cell's Slow Theme--it's one of my favorite pieces from the show. I would be quite enthused if you were to take even a modicum of inspiration from it.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 am

Oh crap that Gary Numan track...wow. I had no idea his style had developed so much. I was listening to that opening and totally envisioning it behind an IMp. Cell scene.

I've never been a KMFDM fan per say, but there just might be a little of their influence in the original Imp. Cell theme. I went to see them live in college with some friends at a small club. This little known German band opened for them and blew them completely away imho. The massive singer had a laser shooting from one eye, wore chainmail, and was literally on fire for the first song, a line of flames going from one elbow, across his shoulders, behind his head, and going to the other elbow. I was so close to the guy I could feel the heat from the flames and could have reached up and grabbed his leg if I had wanted to. His name was Till Lindemann and his band was Rammstein :)
I just read that was their first show in the US haha. Austin TX, Dec 5th 1997. I was right there :)

Sorry, got distracted by memory lane :oops: . So, yeah...love the Gary Numan. Now if I can just not pull a Yamamoto. I'll probably end up doing something that's a mix of the old tracks (since it was one of mine anyway) and the newer sounds. I'll think about some slow theme too, maybe I'll start the track that way. The whole creepy vibe in the show with the slow end of "Ginyu Transformation" going and electronic sounding versions of Frieza's theme playing over it...that really sticks in my head. Someone mentioned in a comment that Cell's introduction was the best DBZ villain introduction. I might agree. I want to capture that too if I can.
- Scott

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 am

I'm not sure what you could grab from these suggestions but I'd like to see if you could take on some inspiration from these tracks. I think there's some great potential in these tracks for some Cell-based music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhM-b93bsY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvOCeD2gAc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMGCcRAVpcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A03hj6v90j0
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:21 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:
I've never been a KMFDM fan per say, but there just might be a little of their influence in the original Imp. Cell theme. I went to see them live in college with some friends at a small club. This little known German band opened for them and blew them completely away imho. The massive singer had a laser shooting from one eye, wore chainmail, and was literally on fire for the first song, a line of flames going from one elbow, across his shoulders, behind his head, and going to the other elbow. I was so close to the guy I could feel the heat from the flames and could have reached up and grabbed his leg if I had wanted to. His name was Till Lindemann and his band was Rammstein :)
I just read that was their first show in the US haha. Austin TX, Dec 5th 1997. I was right there :)

That's such a badass story I love Rammstein, & it's awesome you got to see them at that early a stage, it must've been insane.

Oh crap that Gary Numan track...wow. I had no idea his style had developed so much. I was listening to that opening and totally envisioning it behind an IMp. Cell scene.

Glad you liked it.Yeah, over the past 15 years or so Numan has been putting out killer Industrial Rock. All those Industrial groups that came out around that time (NIN, Manson, the previously mentioned bands) began citing him as a major influence, & that caused a resurgence for him.

Here's some more links of his recent stuff, if you're interested. :D The first in particular is really Cell-ish.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Cool. You know I think a big part of it is the insect like percussion sounds and chirps. Gonstead I think that first one you posted has that insect kinda sound as well. I've never listened to the Bleach soundtrack. I like all the dissonant intervals they are using. Very sinister result.

I think this weekend I might get some good writing done.
- Scott

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 am

Cell Larvae theme is fantastic, excellent tone, haven't posted but I've been following the thread. You're a charitable soul to be throwing this stuff out for us, personal as it is for you too! Thanks, Scott.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Ha, been pretty busy, finally getting a chance to say: Awesome work dude, it sounds amazing. I love the looming atmosphere, really captures that vibe of him lurking, growing.

Since we're on the subject of cell, have you seen the other cell-like characters that have recently come from dragonball heroes and dragonball online?
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Genome
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Cell-X
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Bio-Android

strange, but interesting, it's neat to see new additions to the series through stuff like this.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Hey, you used my suggestion! And somehow I haven't noticed this until now, :lol:

It's great! It actually kinda reminds me of some of the Metroid Fusion music, which actually fits Cell pretty well, now that I think about it :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks guys!

Here's #2:
Cell Theme #2: I'm.peRfecT.ionS

I had a lot of ideas that didn't get used, but this is what felt like a complete thought more or less.
Theme 1 main idea was: A B Bb
Theme 2 is basically: F A E B Eb Bb

Oh and now's the time to start shooting me your thoughts on what Semi Perfect Cell's music should sound like!
- Scott

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 am

Damn man, you really outdid yourself on this one! I love it!

As for Semi-Perfect Cell, I'm thinking something similar to the Imperfection theme, though having it "cleaned up" somewhat and add in a little bit of that clean synth of Perfect Cell, though it's patchy and distorted to signify that he's almost reached Perfection.

Perhaps something similar to these compositions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPUXsqshayk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4AcnrGlekE
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

MalikArcanum
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MalikArcanum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am

Holy shitballs. You did it.

I have been hoping, for years, that you would make something polished of your Imperfect Jam, (If you recall, I actually made an edit of it & posted it here a couple years ago). But, you went even beyond that, creating this badass track around it as a framework.

I wish I could express how much I am wigging out right now. You just made one of your longtime fans very, very happy. Fantastic job.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 am

It is awesome. Truly a masterpiece!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 am

MalikArcanum wrote:
Holy shitballs. You did it.

I have been hoping, for years, that you would make something polished of your Imperfect Jam, (If you recall, I actually made an edit of it & posted it here a couple years ago). But, you went even beyond that, creating this badass track around it as a framework.

I wish I could express how much I am wigging out right now. You just made one of your longtime fans very, very happy. Fantastic job.
Haha I love the images you post :)

Thanks it's always awesome to hear such enthusiastic replies. Yeah it was about damn time.(to quote SCII) I just now responded to some other people that had asked for the same thing in the comments of Imperfect Jam...I had to PM them because apparently you can no longer respond to old youtube comments =\ UGH

A Perfect Cell theme is also way overdue, which how the idea of this series of themes came up in the first place :)

I didn't originally intend to use the same drums...but after trashing my first attempt at the track I decided to try and do something with the original drum sounds. Btw it was a challenge...one of the pieces of gear I used for Imperfect Jam and for the original theme is completely dead. I had to recreate the FX I was using in Komplete...so it's similar but slightly different.

Gonstead, interesting TriGun music :) It's definitely gonna get weird if I keep with my plan of how of adding 3 notes every theme. Playing my Semi perfect Cell "cell" idea on the guitar and wow I've got some thinking to do to make it work.
- Scott