DBZ Unreleased Project Entry - "Goku Dying on Namek (Demo)"

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

DBZ Unreleased Project Entry - "Goku Dying on Namek (Demo)"

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Alright, so, obviously this is a song from the Team Faulconer score, composed by Scott Morgan himself! The song in question? It can be listened to in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUGum12jh8 (starts at around 14-18 seconds in)

This is one of my favorite pieces from the show, and unfortunately, it never got a release. What's more, all of CoyCoy88's attempts to rip it in a high quality fashion have ended in failure (due to all of the sound effects leaking into the channel that had the music). So, I'm attempting to actually RECREATE the song, by taking the aforementioned video, putting it in Audacity, and making whatever edits I have to in order to recreate the parts that either couldn't be ripped, or need some sharpening up.

...That said, this is my first time doing anything of the sort. In fact, I've never even composed a song before, and I failed my Beginning Piano class, so the results here will definitely not be instant, if I even see this through to the end. But, this is a song I really like, I think others would also enjoy a fully recreated version, and also, I want to become a musician at some point (even though I don't want to have it as an official job). So, without further ado, here's a 4 second demo of what I've done (part of the bit that plays at 0:23-0:27)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IdZKvL ... e=youtu.be

Not perfect of course. In fact, that bit may actually only be played three times rather than four times (hard to tell with all of that lightning and screaming), and there are probably some other minor instruments to give it more punch, but for now, it's what I've got. So...there we go!

EDIT: Also, I'm surprised the bass came out so well. When I had it in a separate channel with the instruments that I THINK are sitars, they didn't sound very loud, even when I amplified them. I truthfully didn't think I'd be able to use them. Yet, somehow, when plopping them in the sitars channel, suddenly the intensity of them went from a toy mallet, to a SLEDGEHAMMER if you know what I mean. I mean, I know that low bass sounds could uplift higher pitched sounds that would otherwise be really faint, but, can it work the other way around as well? I'm just curious.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ Unreleased Project Entry - "Goku Dying on Namek (Dem

Post by Coycoy88 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm

That's another one of my favorite unreleased Faulconer tracks. I can't wait to hear what you come up with! :) That track really does it's job, giving off a creepy, hopeless "TIMES UP!" vibe.

I just recently bought the original FUNimation single dvd release with that episode on it from Amazon. I wasn't able to rip the theme from the remastered orange boxset but I'm going to see if I can from the original dvd. *crosses fingers*
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Good luck! It's a shame that a lot of the Faulconer Productions music remains unreleased- I'm looking forward to hearing what you can do in reconstructing the track. Maybe in the future you'll consider other selections? Certainly I have a few that I'd love to hear fully.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you guys, thanks for the support! I'll do my best, alright? And good luck to you Coycoy! As for you Venom, whether or not I do other Faulconer tracks...well, I dunno about that, but, if you give me some that you'd like to see recreated, I'd be interested in considering it at least!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Strangely enough, the first two tracks that came to my mind aren't even Faulconer tracks, but given that they remain unreleased, I'll go ahead and list them anyway. They're both from the Bardock special, which has very little music released from it (by CoyCoy, no less). The first is the scene in which Dodoria and Zarbon are talking in Frieza's presence, and then Vegeta barges in. The other is when Toma is being killed by Dodoria. These two are among my favorite tracks in all of DBZ, and I'd love to have a decent version of them. Hopefully they'll be easier than "Goku Dying on Namek," since there isn't all that much background noise present in either one of them.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 am

Hmm...thinking about it, there is actually one thing you guys can do to help, if you wish. If you decide to rewatch the DBZ series or something, if you ever hear a piece of music where you can tell has the same instruments that play in this song, I might be able to use those sounds. Editing and altering those sounds is how I made the bit I made after all!