"Gohan's Theme" Hidden in Ocean Dub Episode 3

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

"Gohan's Theme" Hidden in Ocean Dub Episode 3

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:28 am

So, recently I've been comparing the two Ocean\FUNimation 1996 dubs from the Pioneer release (edited dialog) and the Rock the Dragon release (original broadcast dub). I came across a familiar tune in Episode 3. Check it out for yourself, Chi-Chi is humming Gohan's theme! http://tanookijoe.tumblr.com/ <-- It kinda cut off the very beginning which is like, the most important part being that's the part Chi-Chi is humming but, if you know the tune, you'll get it right away even before the Gohan clip.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Gohan's Theme" Hidden in Ocean Dub Episode 3

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:09 am

Whoa, interesting find! Maybe they were planning on keeping the score originally?

Also, I think it's kind of funny that I'm not familiar with either of those versions or their respective scores. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:33 am

HOLY CRAP. If I remember right, I haven't seen the Ocean dub of the Raditz episodes since long before I first watched them in Japanese (and I didn't know the music score that well then, plus the BGM Collection hadn't come out yet with its plethora of cues with the Gohan leitmotif), so I never caught that.

Interesting when you consider that later on, when FUNi dubbed the Piccolo arc from DragonBall, they changed Lunch's "Mystical Adventure" humming to some forgettable, random tune - and ironically, THAT dub kept most of the Japanese music intact!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:45 pm

I watched all of Rock the Dragon set a while back when it was first released and totally missed that. Looks like the score was decided after the actors were cast and did their recordings.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:48 am

I remember this. It's a nice little reference to the original. The Funimation dub of GT also had an episode in the Shadow Dragon saga were Goku hums Makafushigi Adventure.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:29 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I remember this. It's a nice little reference to the original. The Funimation dub of GT also had an episode in the Shadow Dragon saga were Goku hums Makafushigi Adventure.
Oh, that's cool! I didn't know that. Looking forward to it.

Although, that is kind of different, since he's humming to a theme to a tune that was kept in the dub. Basicially, someone who watched DB, DBZ, and then DBGT using the US score for the latter two (like me) would recognize it. This Ocean dub example is a tune that didn't exist in that dub at all outside of this scene.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."