Does it have a name?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Does it have a name?

Post by Eat Snow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 am

I recently re-watched the Red Ribbon saga, and I came across a happy little tune in the episode where Goku, #8, and Suno were going to Dr. Frappe's house to remove the bomb. The episode was titled "The Secret of Dr. Frappe" in English and..."Imminent Danger! Go for it, Ha-chan!" in Japanese, I believe (I do not know how reliable Clyde Mandelin's translations are). I have a short clip of it, but it plays about three seconds after Murasaki drives away in a snowmobile carrying Goku's lunch.

The clip. Please note, it's in English, and you'll probably have to turn the volume up to hear it. I'd like to know the name of it if available, and if it's on any released albums. If the file doesn't work then you'll have to wait for a while; it's hosted on geocities, and there's an hourly bandwidth limit.
Assassins showing no regard for life
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm currently not on a computer with speakers, so I can't hear the clip just now, but just so you know, I'm pretty sure I know which piece you're talking about. It's great, isn't it? I've only heard it in that scene in that particular episode... but then again, I haven't seen the first 13 episodes with the Japanese BGM track, nor have I seen the first two DB movies. Who knows? It might be from DragonBall Movie 1, "The Legend of Shen Long" (which I believe had been released in theaters a number of episodes previous to the one in question, and it usually takes ten to twelve episodes from the release of a movie until they start using BGM from that movie in the episodes). I'd love to give the piece a name if I currently had more background on it, but right now I'm working on a documentation of the BGM from DBZ, and DB and GT will come after.

(Begin EDIT) As it's already been quoted, it would be pointless to edit the following beat-up-on-Clyde paragraph. Instead, scroll down to my fourth post on this thread to read my new views on Clyde Mandelin. Ummm... now back to the trash-talk... (EDIT ends here)

And on the whole, I don't like Clyde Mandelin's "translations". I *really* don't like them. He doesn't even hold a candle to our very own Steve Simmons, but this particular episode title might have survived... I can't remember the title in Japanese, but that sounds about right.
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:21 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:I'm currently not on a computer with speakers, so I can't hear the clip just now, but just so you know, I'm pretty sure I know which piece you're talking about. It's great, isn't it? I've only heard it in that scene in that particular episode... but then again, I haven't seen the first 13 episodes with the Japanese BGM track, nor have I seen the first two DB movies. Who knows? It might be from DragonBall Movie 1, "The Legend of Shen Long" (which I believe had been released in theaters a number of episodes previous to the one in question, and it usually takes ten to twelve episodes from the release of a movie until they start using BGM from that movie in the episodes). I'd love to give the piece a name if I currently had more background on it, but right now I'm working on a documentation of the BGM from DBZ, and DB and GT will come after.

And on the whole, I don't like Clyde Mandelin's "translations". I *really* don't like them. He doesn't even hold a candle to our very own Steve Simmons, but this particular episode title might have survived... I can't remember the title in Japanese, but that sounds about right.
Thanks for replying. I've always felt that Clyde's translations were a bit iffy, even though I don't know much Japanese. But that's great work you're doing there. However, if the translations are completely incorrect, I guess I'll be in a bit of trouble, considering all the evaluations of the Red Ribbon's officers I did on my web site...I used Clyde's translations as backups for my claims, and if they're really off, well, then I would certainly have interesting views on people like Silver and Yellow Taisa. :P
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Nope, that translation's perfectly fine. (In respects to the translator.)

"危機一髪!!ガンバレ8ちゃん"

(Kikiippatsu!! Ganbare Hachan)

"Kikiippatsu"...well, to me, that would be like "girigiri" (it's what I link it together with, at least.) It's more like "Close call" (only English word I can think of at the moment that works.) Sure, "Imminent Danger" is a tad...uh..."extravagant", but it's technically not "wrong."
Last edited by Tatsunoboshi Horoko on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Nope, that translation's perfectly fine. (In respects to the translator.)

"危機一髪!!ガンバレ8ちゃん"

(Kikiippatsu!! Ganbare Haachan)

"Kikiippatsu"...well, to me, that would be like "girigiri" (it's what I link it together with, at least.) It's more like "Close call" (only English word I can think of at the moment that works.) Sure, "Imminent Danger" is a tad...uh..."extravagant", but it's technically not "wrong."
Ah, I see. Well at least he translated the title...right. But of course, I'm still a tad bit worried about the translations for the dialogue in the show...
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

Eat Snow wrote: Thanks for replying. I've always felt that Clyde's translations were a bit iffy, even though I don't know much Japanese. But that's great work you're doing there. However, if the translations are completely incorrect, I guess I'll be in a bit of trouble, considering all the evaluations of the Red Ribbon's officers I did on my web site...I used Clyde's translations as backups for my claims, and if they're really off, well, then I would certainly have interesting views on people like Silver and Yellow Taisa. :P
I'm now on a computer with speakers, but when I click the link, it takes me to an error page "HTTP 403 (Forbidden): You are not authorized to view this page". Is Geocities just having a problem? I can totally relate.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Mandelin gets the Red Ribbon officers correct, though. I haven't checked yet. It's just that he misses a LOT of the nuances (I don't mean this to knock on him... after all, he's certainly much better than me as far as having an ear for the language - it's just that the mistakes he makes get me a little untrusting of him). For example, when Kami is sealed inside the bottle by Piccolo at the 23rd Budokai, he screams at Goku: "Purify the world!" but Mr. Mandelin translates this as: "Eliminate him!" or something like that. I'm sure it's just an honest mistake in respect to all the background noise obscuring the line and making it difficult to pick out, but he's supposed to be a professional, isn't he? Ugh, and let's not forget Bulma's line from Path to Power, where she mentions that it was difficult passing up wishing for more strawberries than she could eat, and Mandelin's subtitle says "It's hard to pass up tremendous prestige and power..."

And just for the record, "Kiki ippatsu" is kinda the equivalent of saying "within a hair's breadth" in English... so yeah, "Imminent danger" wouldn't bother me. "Go for it" is also a good translation of "Ganbare".

EDIT: Again, I apologize for putting down Clyde, so scroll down to my fourth post and see my opinion on him now.
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:48 am

kenisu3000 wrote:
Eat Snow wrote: Thanks for replying. I've always felt that Clyde's translations were a bit iffy, even though I don't know much Japanese. But that's great work you're doing there. However, if the translations are completely incorrect, I guess I'll be in a bit of trouble, considering all the evaluations of the Red Ribbon's officers I did on my web site...I used Clyde's translations as backups for my claims, and if they're really off, well, then I would certainly have interesting views on people like Silver and Yellow Taisa. :P
I'm now on a computer with speakers, but when I click the link, it takes me to an error page "HTTP 403 (Forbidden): You are not authorized to view this page". Is Geocities just having a problem? I can totally relate.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Mandelin gets the Red Ribbon officers correct, though. I haven't checked yet. It's just that he misses a LOT of the nuances (I don't mean this to knock on him... after all, he's certainly much better than me as far as having an ear for the language - it's just that the mistakes he makes get me a little untrusting of him). For example, when Kami is sealed inside the bottle by Piccolo at the 23rd Budokai, he screams at Goku: "Purify the world!" but Mr. Mandelin translates this as: "Eliminate him!" or something like that. I'm sure it's just an honest mistake in respect to all the background noise obscuring the line and making it difficult to pick out, but he's supposed to be a professional, isn't he? Ugh, and let's not forget Bulma's line from Path to Power, where she mentions that it was difficult passing up wishing for more strawberries than she could eat, and Mandelin's subtitle says "It's hard to pass up tremendous prestige and power..."

And just for the record, "Kiki ippatsu" is kinda the equivalent of saying "within a hair's breadth" in English... so yeah, "Imminent danger" wouldn't bother me. "Go for it" is also a good translation of "Ganbare".
Well once I noticed that he subbed General Copper as "General Kappa" :lol: In any case, you have to right-click on the link and go to "Save Target As..."
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Eat Snow wrote:Well once I noticed that he subbed General Copper as "General Kappa" :lol: In any case, you have to right-click on the link and go to "Save Target As..."
Oh, thanks. I can hear it now, and yeah, it's the one I was thinking of.
I'm sorry, I completely forgot to tell you before: it isn't on CD! It's too bad, because it's a great happy little tune, but if we're lucky, with the recent release of the DBZ BGM Collection, Toei/Columbia Records will put out a DragonBall BGM Collection (not a to mention one for GT, and a supplemental volume for the Z Collection that finally finishes off the unrelaeased tracks... but that's hopelessly wishful thinking. I believe the Japanese way of saying this is "It's a story like grasping at clouds...").
Now, what episode is General Copper from again?

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
Eat Snow wrote:Well once I noticed that he subbed General Copper as "General Kappa" :lol: In any case, you have to right-click on the link and go to "Save Target As..."
Oh, thanks. I can hear it now, and yeah, it's the one I was thinking of.
I'm sorry, I completely forgot to tell you before: it isn't on CD! It's too bad, because it's a great happy little tune, but if we're lucky, with the recent release of the DBZ BGM Collection, Toei/Columbia Records will put out a DragonBall BGM Collection (not a to mention one for GT, and a supplemental volume for the Z Collection that finally finishes off the unrelaeased tracks... but that's hopelessly wishful thinking. I believe the Japanese way of saying this is "It's a story like grasping at clouds...").
Now, what episode is General Copper from again?
Mm, not on the CD? That's a shame. But it would be great if they put out a DB or GT background music album...we can still hope. And General Copper didn't actually appear in the show (hence my reason for frequently calling him invisible or faceless). He's mentioned only once, by Red, but we know that Copper 'controls' Violet, Silver, and Yellow. Forgot what episode he was talked about, though. But in a way, it's kind of good that we didn't get to see him. Then we get to imagine what he could have been like. In fact, I've written a story about him. Well, one version of him, at least. It's pretty much complete, considering I'm stuck on where to go with the filler chapters...
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 am

Okay, what this post is all about is, I want to take back the mean and nasty things I've said about Clyde Mandelin. I'd simply edit the previous posts, but they've already been quoted so there'd be really no point in that. Instead, I'll dedicate an entire post to taking back what I've said.

I knew that being so ridiculously apprehensive about this "other guy" who translated the DragonBall DVD sets would get me into a heap of embarassment, and especially so once I decided to quit holding it in and rant like a baby in a couple of threads on the forum. I knew even beforehand that I'd better quit it, that one day I'd have to eat my words, and now that day has come sooner than I expected.

It turns out that a webmaster of a popular EarthBound site (that's an old cult Super Nintendo game, FYI), whose MOTHER 1/2 translations I had enjoyed for years, is none other than Clyde himself under the username of "Tomato". Imagine my shock! Now, in my book, anyone who is a fan of EarthBound/MOTHER - which is definitely my favorite RPG series EVER - is automatically a stud (or an awesome girl if it's a lady). I don't mean to sound like I'm blatantly advertising a game which has nothing to do with DragonBall; I'm simply expressing my thoughts. So I've decided that it's actually extremely cool that I can now watch my DragonBall DVDs and read the subtitles and say, "This was done by a fellow EarthBound fan!!"

And Clyde, if ever you encounter this post (or worse, my previous cruel and unusual pick-on-the-translator posts), be assured that I've changed my mind entirely, and I respect you greatly for the immense work you do.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 am

That's a cool song, too bad it isn't on the CD. I hope there will be a complete Dragon Ball BGM collection. I want to have all the cool DB songs that I here in the show but in stereo.

I knew I wasn't just imagining seeing the name "kenisu" on both forums!

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:Okay, what this post is all about is, I want to take back the mean and nasty things I've said about Clyde Mandelin. I'd simply edit the previous posts, but they've already been quoted so there'd be really no point in that.
I could erase the quoted message or something if you wanted.
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Eat Snow wrote: I could erase the quoted message or something if you wanted.
Well, you do what you see fit. I think whatever damage they did has already been done anyway. But come to think of it, erasing it wouldn't exactly change the fact that I did at one point say that, and people have seen what I wrote. Clyde mentioned to me in a post today that he's quite aware of the questionability of his popularity on DBZ forums. I hope it wasn't me who started that!
linkdude20002001 wrote:That's a cool song, too bad it isn't on the CD. I hope there will be a complete Dragon Ball BGM collection. I want to have all the cool DB songs that I here in the show but in stereo.
It would be great to have it in stereo, but as I recall, a lot of the pieces aren't mixed into stereo. At least that's the way it is with many of the original DragonBall tracks on the old 5-disc set. That's okay with me; I basically just want these BGM pieces without any talking or SFX over it, or the piece being hacked up for the sake of the scene it plays in. I do also hope for a DragonBall and a GT Complete BGM Collection, and for a supplemental Z volume containing the 100-or-so still-missing tracks from Z.
linkdude20002001 wrote:I knew I wasn't just imagining seeing the name "kenisu" on both forums!
Yeah, I guess Clyde isn't the only double-agent around here :) I'm beginning to understand the concept of LisVender's "EBZ" comic :)

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:09 am

This isn't putting much to the topic at hand, but I felt it necessary to attempt to redeem you in a way, Kenisu. As a fairly leveled headed guy, I think despite how much you can respect a man's work in another field, you shouldn't feel bad, or reticent upon this discovery over your feelings over the work he did in respect to this community.
No one is perfect 100% of the time, and like everyone else here, he is only human; so missing out on subtle nuances, or general personality quirks may or may not have been part of his cultural learning experience for his work.

As well, I believe your comment in reference to your own actions of "rant like a baby" is a bit of an extreme exageration in this sense. From my point of view, you, like anyone else who has felt a little apprehension for a person, situation, or anything else of connecting nature were just 'airing out the sheets'; we all do it, so you shouldn't worry about your own feelings.
As much as we like, and respect one mans work in another field shouldn't mean that just because we know he is in fact the same man who participated in the field of topicality here, doesn't mean one should hide or shed ones personal feelings for the work if they aren't completely satisfied with it, just because of the man behind it.

We're only human, afterall.

I hope you don't beat yourself up over your own feelings. There is no need.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:39 pm

lost in thought wrote:This isn't putting much to the topic at hand, but I felt it necessary to attempt to redeem you in a way, Kenisu. As a fairly leveled headed guy, I think despite how much you can respect a man's work in another field, you shouldn't feel bad, or reticent upon this discovery over your feelings over the work he did in respect to this community.
No one is perfect 100% of the time, and like everyone else here, he is only human; so missing out on subtle nuances, or general personality quirks may or may not have been part of his cultural learning experience for his work.

As well, I believe your comment in reference to your own actions of "rant like a baby" is a bit of an extreme exageration in this sense. From my point of view, you, like anyone else who has felt a little apprehension for a person, situation, or anything else of connecting nature were just 'airing out the sheets'; we all do it, so you shouldn't worry about your own feelings.
As much as we like, and respect one mans work in another field shouldn't mean that just because we know he is in fact the same man who participated in the field of topicality here, doesn't mean one should hide or shed ones personal feelings for the work if they aren't completely satisfied with it, just because of the man behind it.

We're only human, afterall.

I hope you don't beat yourself up over your own feelings. There is no need.
Wow, thanks for the unexpected pick-me-up! :D
As I looked over my posts (the ones from before I found out Clyde was Tomato), I realized that even then I was holding back what I *really* thought (unhindered) of his translations, and that was what made me feel so guilty when I discovered his "true identity" :) I already had told myself I'd better not make too much of a fuss about it, but there were times when people would just out-and-out post topics and blatantly ask, "So what does everyone think of Clyde Mandelin's translations?" and it was then when I could barely stop myself. Even then, as I recall, I was *this* close to posting a really heated response, and one time I gave in and typed up this big long post and when I clicked the "submit" button, my account had timed out and I lost the whole rant. So I took that as a sign to quit whining about it.
A big part of the reason why I was such a guilt sponge about it is that I can see where Clyde's coming from. I'm a cartoonist, and since that's *everything* to me, it would hurt like the dickens if somebody told me I was so-so. Well, since Clyde seems to pour everything into his translations (erroneous as they may sometimes be in DragonBall), a ruthless critic would probably not be too encouraging. I've gotten to talk with him just a bit more (if you count a few EarthBound questions), and I can already tell he's really an awesome guy. I've never taken back the fact that there are errors that pop up in his DragonBall translations; rather, I've taken back my attitude about it. And if you think about it, he was probably just in a rush and that's why he made the mistakes - understandable, as the DragonBall DVD sets average about 14 episodes each and I'd want to get it done and over with too! - after all, when I'm watching the dub, in my native language for cryin' out loud, I sometimes have trouble figuring out what a character said.
Oh, and don't worry about me beating myself up. I know all of that sounded like I'm having a self-flogging, but I actually felt a heck of a lot better after typing out my apologies, rather than walking away with a hanging head.

"The topic at hand"...? Oh wait, that's right! This was a thread about a BGM piece! :D :D