Sumitomo has redeemed himself!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Sumitomo has redeemed himself!

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Been listening today to Dragon Ball Super - Original Soundtrack (Vol. 1 of who-knows-how-many-more) and I was really pleased with the score but I already knew it was going to be exceptionally great as even though I don't enjoy the DBS episodes all that much, the soundtrack is definitely one of its highlights (besides hearing Masako Nozawa and other OG VAs). I do have to say that I love the track "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Days of Battle)", "Subtitle", "Chozetsu Dynamic" (how couldn't I feature on this list!), "Believe in Yourself (String Ver.)", "A Tough Battle", "Team Dragon's Theme", "Under the Blue Sky", "Party Scene", "Eyecatch A/B", "The Fatso Waltz", "Freeza is Resurrected", "Freeza's Chosen Ones", "Golden Freeza's Theme", "Time to Strike Back" and the list goes on.

If I'd have to give it a score then it'd be a solid 8/10. Sumitomo's music was something that I despised back in Kai 2.0 and thought he couldn't make DB-fied tunes but well, he proved me and a lot to be incorrect on that. I also love that they sound video game-y too.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Sumitomo has redeemed himself!

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:30 am

I thought that Sumitomo's score for Super was quite a mixed bag. Quite a few of tracks sound like something that you would hear in Dragon Ball videogame as supposed to what you would hear in a Dragon Ball anime. Track 19 sounds like something I would hear in a promotional video for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and track 24 and 27 sound like something straight out of Crash Bandicoot. That being said, some of the tracks sound really damn good. Specifically tracks 7, 10, 11, 16, 12, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 66 sound really great, and honestly, I think Toei should have just used those tracks for the show because they sound the best.

Someone in Toei really needs to have word in Sumitomo's ear and tell him to focus solely on full orchestral pieces, where he seems to truly shine, as supposed to instead of wasting energy on all the synthesized shit he puts together. I was reminded one too many times of Crash Bandicoot listening to some of these tracks. And while I love Crash Bandicoot, I don't want its type of music anywhere near Dragon Ball in any remote sense.

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:27 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I thought that Sumitomo's score for Super was quite a mixed bag. Quite a few of tracks sound like something that you would hear in Dragon Ball videogame as supposed to what you would hear in a Dragon Ball anime. Track 19 sounds like something I would hear in a promotional video for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and track 24 and 27 sound like something straight out of Crash Bandicoot. That being said, some of the tracks sound really damn good. Specifically tracks 7, 10, 11, 16, 12, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 66 sound really great, and honestly, I think Toei should have just used those tracks for the show because they sound the best.

Someone in Toei really needs to have word in Sumitomo's ear and tell him to focus solely on full orchestral pieces, where he seems to truly shine, as supposed to instead of wasting energy on all the synthesized shit he puts together. I was reminded one too many times of Crash Bandicoot listening to some of these tracks. And while I love Crash Bandicoot, I don't want its type of music anywhere near Dragon Ball in any remote sense.
Oh, I guess that's why I really fancy the score of Super so much then. I love gaming and Dragon Ball so having these two things come together is quite the treat for me.

P.S. I'm tired of seeing that PS4 has so many friggin' PS3 remasters but if Sony remastered Crash Bandicoot 1-3 + CTR (the Mario Kart of PlayStation -- ModNation Racers is 'meh') in HD with online play support that would be so Super! :D

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:57 am

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I thought that Sumitomo's score for Super was quite a mixed bag. Quite a few of tracks sound like something that you would hear in Dragon Ball videogame as supposed to what you would hear in a Dragon Ball anime. Track 19 sounds like something I would hear in a promotional video for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and track 24 and 27 sound like something straight out of Crash Bandicoot. That being said, some of the tracks sound really damn good. Specifically tracks 7, 10, 11, 16, 12, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 66 sound really great, and honestly, I think Toei should have just used those tracks for the show because they sound the best.

Oh, I guess that's why I really fancy the score of Super so much then. I love gaming and Dragon Ball so having these two things come together is quite the treat for me.

P.S. I'm tired of seeing that PS4 has so many friggin' PS3 remasters but if Sony remastered Crash Bandicoot 1-3 + CTR (the Mario Kart of PlayStation -- ModNation Racers is 'meh') in HD with online play support that would be so Super! :D
Last episode played mostly the orchestrated soundtracks, and It was godly!. If Sumitomo ditched synths he would be one hell of a music powerhouse, his soule score is freaking great and it's full orchestra.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Sun May 01, 2016 1:51 pm

I think it's far better than what he did for the Boo arc of kai, given that he probably has some kind of budget, that being said nothing is memorable to me so far.
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:28 pm

I love his tracks so far for the Future Trunks arc. Black's theme...that sweet little theme that plays when he talks to Bulma (recent episode 51 it plays again too). I was imagining in my head an ending to Future Trunk's story where everyone in his timeline is revived. Final scene he's in the time machine heading back (where that sweet little theme i mentioned starts playing). He gets to his time and sees everyone there waiting for him with a smile, he smiles back and the screen slowly fades (the ending to that sweet theme plays and screen goes black).

Of course that is probably going to be unlikely but i thought that type of ending with that little theme would be sweet.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:19 am

Sumitomo has really stepped up since the Future Trunks arc began. All of his new tracks for this arc have been quite excellent.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I've never disliked Sumitomo's score as much as others, I even like a lot of his synthesizer tracks too but then again I am a fan of Faulconer's stuff too :P

His score for the Black arc is hands down his best work though.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:33 pm

I wish they would do what DBZ did and integrate the movie tracks in the TV anime.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:19 pm

nite_jay wrote:I wish they would do what DBZ did and integrate the movie tracks in the TV anime.
Well they kinda did that with the buu arc of kai. Sadly though they only used a limited number of the bog tracks
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:50 am

Sumitomo's Dragon Ball score as a whole is technically okay, but it doesn't stand out against every other "epic" orchestral score. It still doesn't sound like "Dragon Ball".

Even with the infringements, I prefer Yamamoto by far, and I didn't think I'd miss his Kai score as much as I have been lately. I also still get nostalgic over his old SNES through PSX game soundtracks.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:09 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Sumitomo has really stepped up since the Future Trunks arc began. All of his new tracks for this arc have been quite excellent.
Such a shame that old tracks are still present though. There was this one really good track then immediately we had some cheesy Pilaf music, took me right out that episode.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 am

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:

It's funny because this actually happened except for CTR.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 pm

I don't think "redeemed" is the best word.

His work in BOG Movie is great.
His work in ROF Movie is trash.
His work in Buu Kai is trash.
His work in Super is great.

He's just a hit or miss composer. Fortunately, he really hit it in Super and FT Trunks arc is just bringing some new gems.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:43 am

I don't know, his music is pretty bad or mediocre.
Who redeemed himself for me is Toshihiko Sahashi. His score for Gundam Seed was pretty crazy sometimes and hard to listen to outside the show, but still leagues better than Sumitomo.
His later work in Saint Seiya franchise is pretty good, as he is to Saint Seiya like Kenji Yamamoto was to Dragon Ball in comparisson with Kikuchi.
Sumitomo is probably normally composing these bleak ambient scores for some bad japanese telenovelas, and it is noticeable.

From Super so far, his best tracks for me are definitely the recap with Chala Head Chala and 2 or 3 more tracks. Nothing else is memorable, or good.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:42 pm

Hell no. It's gotten better, but nobody is going to be fondly looking back on his work as a corner stone to the series. He was never gonna be as memorable as Kikuchi, but good lord while he's gotten more fitting BGM lately, none of it is memorable in a good way. It's either forgettable, horrendous that you remember how bad it is, or used enough times its dullness has seared into the brain. Don't get me wrong he does have some good pieces of music. Particularly BOG had some good stuff. His Super work is just so dull. I don't find many scenes where the music actually enhances the moments, but just get's swept under the carpet for not making much of a statement.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:56 pm

I dunno guys, He's DONE mediocre work for the franchise, but his score for FT Arc in super has been pretty damn memorable.

Chozetzu Dynamic Ballad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkS9cqlnMO8

Son Goku vs Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLZHka4Xu8

Desperate Assault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fa0-eR65vc

Maternal Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIpRkCbRMaQ

Black's theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxZOGpdFIJU

All of these are great pieces, and not bland in any way. Perhaps you won't like it cuz it's not Kikuchi or Faulconer, but it's they are definitely damn good.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:15 pm

I'll take one thing back. The theme that played when Vegeta goes SSJB for both Cabba and Trunks is pretty damn sweet. A good "FUCK YEAH" theme.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:50 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Hell no. It's gotten better, but nobody is going to be fondly looking back on his work as a corner stone to the series. He was never gonna be as memorable as Kikuchi, but good lord while he's gotten more fitting BGM lately, none of it is memorable in a good way. It's either forgettable, horrendous that you remember how bad it is, or used enough times its dullness has seared into the brain. Don't get me wrong he does have some good pieces of music. Particularly BOG had some good stuff. His Super work is just so dull. I don't find many scenes where the music actually enhances the moments, but just get's swept under the carpet for not making much of a statement.
But frankly, none of his RoF or Super music is as dumb and dull like in Dragon Ball Kai - Final Chapters...
That was like some café pub aspiring artist jamming on casio, before someone threw him out...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:54 am

MCDaveG wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Hell no. It's gotten better, but nobody is going to be fondly looking back on his work as a corner stone to the series. He was never gonna be as memorable as Kikuchi, but good lord while he's gotten more fitting BGM lately, none of it is memorable in a good way. It's either forgettable, horrendous that you remember how bad it is, or used enough times its dullness has seared into the brain. Don't get me wrong he does have some good pieces of music. Particularly BOG had some good stuff. His Super work is just so dull. I don't find many scenes where the music actually enhances the moments, but just get's swept under the carpet for not making much of a statement.
But frankly, none of his RoF or Super music is as dumb and dull like in Dragon Ball Kai - Final Chapters...
That was like some café pub aspiring artist jamming on casio, before someone threw him out...
Yeah nothing is as bad as Kai 2.0's ost. It makes me actually want a replacement soundtrack from the western branch, and I shouldn't want that.