Why is the music in the videogames so radically different from Kikuchi's OST?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Why is the music in the videogames so radically different from Kikuchi's OST?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Every track in a DB video game seems to be filled with a bunch of guitar rift. It sounds like something out of a rock concert, rather than something that is supposed to resemble DB or DBZ. Even the soundtrack for Raging Blast which Kikuchi himself worked on, correct me if I'm wrong, sounds completely different to his other work.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Why is the music in the videogames so radically different from Kikuchi's OST?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:36 pm

I feel you. It's a video game thing. I guess that's the new direction of the series because isn't that how Super is? I could be wrong.

But hey, not all of the video games are like that. I can't speak for anything before the PS1 era, but I know that Dragon Ball Z: Greatest Legends, Ultimate Battle 22, and Final Bout had more DB-sounding tracks. I liked them so much, I have them saved as part of my music collection. Though, I will admit, that the music for Greatest Legends sounds more like Bruce Faulconer type of work than Kikuchi.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Why is the music in the videogames so radically different from Kikuchi's OST?

Post by Jord » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Some of the Tenkaichi Budokai (Sparking) games have midi versions of Kikuchi's score but they actually don't fit that well in a video game since the pace is dramatically different from the anime fights where there is lots of room for dialogue and stuff.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm

The Japanese versions of a lot of the video games do in fact have synthesized versions of Kikuchi's score. For reasons that are not entirely clear, a fair deal of games got a new score--composed by people in Japan, oddly enough--for the international releases, even when the Japanese voices are selected.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:47 pm

I'd say a lot of the early games (Famicom into Super Famicom era, handhelds included) had music that very much DID evoke the original Kikuchi score. I think once Yamamoto really got his hands dirty (literally? figuratively?) in the 32-bit era and beyond, and personally felt the need/desire to branch out with styles (which he specifically said in his part of the "Legends" bonus text file), things indeed started heading off in new directions.

But even then, I hear a lot of the old style in the Budokai tunes, for example - it's just that they're hidden beneath the blaring guitar at times.

If you want a Kikuchi-scored game that isn't literally scored by Kikuchi himself but sounds like it may as well have been, look no further than Dragon Ball Fusions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::