"Dragon Ball Super" Official Music Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

"Dragon Ball Super" Official Music Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Alright, we're a good few episodes in now, and Sumitomo is definitely taking a unique approach this time around. Honestly, I'm surprised this isn't more blatantly divisive, since so many were fans of his score for the Future Trunks Arc.

Do you like it? Why or why not? And how do you think it could be improved on?

Mod Edit:
Edited the thread title. Feel free to openly discuss all of Super's music here, rather than just what relates to the Universe Survival Arc.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Sumitomo's work on the Universal Survival Arc

Post by simtek34 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Its been good so far, would be better if the music placers stopped reusing Kai TFC music

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:05 pm

While I still can't say that his music is great, I at least appreciate that he seems to be making more of an effort to add some jazzy tunes into the mix. He at least has the right idea, even if the results could still be better.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:02 pm

It still is just there. It doesn't create the impact I expect a show to create through music. Although, I do like a piece which was placed well. The one that plays in #77 when Beers and Whis are warning Gokuu. That felt fitting. But, for the most part Sumitomo's score has no identity.

I'm no music expert so I can't say what needs to be improved, but more memorable themes are needed with better placement. Maybe, the main tournament will have that. But, I'm not expecting anything great. I wasn't sold on his Black arc work except for one or two pieces either. It'll be standard stuff at best IMO. I will be happy to be wrong though.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 pm

It's serviceable. Nothing really stands out as great or bad, just... good enough.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's serviceable. Nothing really stands out as great or bad, just... good enough.
Even Beerus' madness? :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:It's serviceable. Nothing really stands out as great or bad, just... good enough.
Didn't that track debut prior to the Universal Survival arc?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Didn't that track debut prior to the Universal Survival arc?
Point taken, but yeah, the current crop fails to impress me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm

I'd say a couple of the new tracks for this arc are pretty good, though the ones that stood out to me the most are Zeno's Decision, Basil's True Power, Gohan's Counterattack.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Well, my mind is not blown away but i quite like t¡some of them, like the ones that played in #80 when the Grand Priest made the announcement and when Gohan was trying to focus on Lavenda's movements.
Also the one that played when Basil started to buff up ala Broly.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:50 am

Sumitomo is definitely killing it, we still need to wait because Toei has been removing instruments for most of the scenes now, the theme that played when Toppo challenge Goku never had any Brass or flutes before that scene, but the track when Basil on steroids fought buu is definitely one of the most frantic tracks he's done I can't even begin to believe people call that bland.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 am

Black_Liger wrote:Sumitomo is definitely killing it, we still need to wait because Toei has been removing instruments for most of the scenes now, the theme that played when Toppo challenge Goku never had any Brass or flutes before that scene, but the track when Basil on steroids fought buu is definitely one of the most frantic tracks he's done I can't even begin to believe people call that bland.
Seconded I can't believe people call these soundtrack bland
Mostly active on discord.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 pm

The gr wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:Sumitomo is definitely killing it, we still need to wait because Toei has been removing instruments for most of the scenes now, the theme that played when Toppo challenge Goku never had any Brass or flutes before that scene, but the track when Basil on steroids fought buu is definitely one of the most frantic tracks he's done I can't even begin to believe people call that bland.
Seconded I can't believe people call these soundtrack bland
It's a problem with this fanbase, mostly those on kanzenshuu forum, they favor to the extreme either Kikuchi or Faulconer, if it's not those two there's almost no pleasing them,.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Black_Liger wrote: It's a problem with this fanbase, mostly those on kanzenshuu forum, they favor to the extreme either Kikuchi or Faulconer, if it's not those two there's almost no pleasing them,.
Yeah I agree. I feel like I'm in the minority that likes both.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:57 pm

It's been pretty good so far, but my problem with is that it sounds more like video game music than a score. But it sounds like fighting game music, so it at least fits the tone, unlike his work in the BoG and RoF arcs.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 pm

I think the new tracks are fine. If this is a taste of things to come then I'll be pleased. His Black arc stuff was pretty darn great as it played to his strengths, the Zamasu theme is certainly his best track so far captured him perfectly.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Black_Liger wrote:It's a problem with this fanbase, mostly those on kanzenshuu forum, they favor to the extreme either Kikuchi or Faulconer, if it's not those two there's almost no pleasing them,.
Why it is a problem? Let people please themselves with what they want (as long as they aren't breaking the existing law).

What if Kikuchi's (or Faulconer's) work is objectively better than Sumitomo's work? Maybe it's not about the fanbase, but about the quality of modern material? Don't forget to consider this.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Black_Liger wrote: It's a problem with this fanbase, mostly those on kanzenshuu forum, they favor to the extreme either Kikuchi or Faulconer, if it's not those two there's almost no pleasing them,.
I don't think that's the case. And even it is was, I don't consider it a problem. Let people like what they like. If they like those soundtracks solely and find those specific ones solely, then let em. As long as they ain't berating others for doing otherwise, I don't see the problem. They ain't hurting you and whatever pleases them is they business

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:It's a problem with this fanbase, mostly those on kanzenshuu forum, they favor to the extreme either Kikuchi or Faulconer, if it's not those two there's almost no pleasing them,.
Why it is a problem? Let people please themselves with what they want (as long as they aren't breaking the existing law).

What if Kikuchi's (or Faulconer's) work is objectively better than Sumitomo's work? Maybe it's not about the fanbase, but about the quality of modern material? Don't forget to consider this.
Even though I think Kikuchi's Overall Soundtracks are better suited for World Of Dragon Ball then Sumitomo's but Faulconer's Music is way inferior to Sumitomo's even though he maybe using same instruments of faulconer's or similar but I think Faulconer's Music is maybe Comparable to Shuki Levy's Score but Sumitomo knows what he is doing atleast because I just can't believe people think Faulconer is better than Sumitomo with same monotonous Techno Rock Music atleast Sumitomo's music fits the situation and sounds like something from Dragon Ball but Faulconer's Music sound nothing like that, Here is an example of Sumitomo's Superiority to Faulconer
Vegito Transformation in Z Dub : https://youtu.be/WmkNqlSrvpE
(the music is just unfitting, he is not playing according to situation but some badass beats that it, it sure is catchy but when vegito transforms we don't get any hope feeling or triumphant feel)
Vegito transformation in Kai Final Chapters : https://youtu.be/SDNxBR4_afQ
(now the music here is fitting when goku tells about how Boo Ate all his friends and family and yes that disco music maybe little unfitting in between but the music which plays when They Fuse is Amazing it gives a sense of hope and triumphant feel that Faulconer music never gives but only about FIGHT FIGHT HARDCORE BADASS FIGHT but Sumitomo here proved that he can compose more varied music also I like a lot of his music in BoG, RoF and Lately in DB Super)
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm

This theme is noice, one of my favorites thus far.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!