DragonBall Symphonic Adventure

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Symphonic Adventure (2017)

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:12 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DBSymphonicAdv ... 4701950097
Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure Kicks Off North American Tour With Premiere Performance In Chicago!

ON SALE FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15 @ 10AM CST

For the first time in the U.S., Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z fans will be able to experience the beloved franchise like never before! Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure is a fully immersive concert performed live by the 60-piece World Festival Orchestra, led by acclaimed conductor Eric Roth, and featuring renowned singer 高橋洋樹 Hiroki Takahashi, original vocalist on the Dragon Ball series theme song!

https://www.facebook.com/events/484967795437684
Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure kicks off north american tour with premiere performance in Chicago!

An Overlook Events Original Production
Presented by AWR Music Production

Tickets for the premiere performance of “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” will go on sale at 10am CST on November 15, 2019 at https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04005761CBF35313

As part of the year-long 30th anniversary celebration of “Dragon Ball Z,” Toei Animation Inc. and Sony Pictures Television’s Funimation announced today that the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure,” a one-of-a-kind concert experience, is coming to North America. Produced by Overlook Events and presented by AWR Music Productions, the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” combines scenes and sounds of Dragon Ball together with live vocals, a 60-piece orchestra and the music of legendary Japanese composer Shunsuke Kikuchi to create an immersive multimedia event for fans. The North American tour of the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure” kicks-off on Friday, March 27, 2020 with its premiere performance in Chicago, IL at the Rosemont Theatre featuring the World Festival Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eric Roth. Additional dates and locations to be announced.

Based on its Narrative Symphonic Experience concept, Overlook Events mixes a symphony orchestra with rock instruments, live vocals, sound effects and light synchronized to a compilation of Dragon Ball video excerpts projected on giant screens, following a strict narrative – to create the “Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure.” The result is a concert experience that achieves a musical and technical mastery still very rare in an industry dominated by cinema-concerts.

Overlook describes their creative process: “As great enthusiasts of Akira Toriyama's saga, we spent long months carefully selecting and analyzing each scene to draw out the essence of the Dragon Ball story. While reconstructing each arc, each scene was thoughtfully set to new orchestrations of the classic music, to align with our Narrative Symphonic Experience concept. Nothing was left to chance. Now, we invite you to enjoy every minute of this concert experience, from the opening trumpet notes heralding the first transformation of Son Goku, ready to unleash his uncontrollable fury against the mighty Frieza.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:47 am

WOW! Hope they come to New York!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm

I almost don't wanna go to this out of fear of having to deal with the inevitable people who will be pissed it isn't the Faulconer score.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Wrote about this on Twitter but wanted to sound off here and gather some thoughts:

Do you guys think this will succeed? Is the audience big enough for more of this in the future?

Trust me, I know here and across the country people love the Kikuchi score, and really adore it. I'm absolutely one of these people. Some of those pieces by heart and they make certain scenes only feel a certain way because of the arrangement.

But we have to be the minority, yes?

I haven't been around DB fandom the past few years, but is the main audience here in the States still "DBZ was a cool show I watched on TV as a kid"? That audience knows the Falcouner score, or maybe even Kenji Yamamoto more as crazy it may sound. Hell, the Sumitomo music is probably more memorable in their mind! If you grew up in that time frame, like I did, your only outlet watching the series on TV was through the original series retaining the Kikuchi score, which is how I got hooked originally.

Did the insertion of the Kikuchi score into Kai build that much of a new audience that I'm just completely unfamiliar with?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE that they're doing this. If they come to Texas or New York, I will drop however much they want for tickets. I'm just really shocked they did this, considering it was so much easier for them to bring it to Spain or France when they didn't have a soundtrack replacement. Just wanted to toss it out and see how you guys felt.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Whoa, boy! Finally! I hope this comes to the Pacific Northwest. I wish I had a Dragon Ball friend in real life to go with. Or a roommate or boyfriend to introduce the series to. It's otherwise too long of a series to get most people into. And with only half a year till the concert...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:30 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm I almost don't wanna go to this out of fear of having to deal with the inevitable people who will be pissed it isn't the Faulconer score.
They'd be pretty stupid to not take the 5 seconds to read what they're paying for before buying tickets.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 am

screamingtrees wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 pm
floofychan333 wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote: The original composer of Makafushigi Adventure! is Takeshi Ike (池 毅) :P

(but the orchestral versions were arranged, of course, by Kikuchi-sama)
Well, yeah, but it's the Kikuchi variations that are awesome and since I can't recall him writing any non-instrumental pieces (save a couple choral pieces) then I really don't know what else to do.
Kikuchi-sensei didn't write a single vocal song for Dragon Ball AFAIK. But, you should really look into some of his other work. He DID write songs for Kamen Rider, Getter Robo, Wakusei Danguard Ace, Albator '84, and UFO Robo Grendizer (as well as the BGM for all that). Anyway here's a link to one of his Kamen Rider Skyrider songs http://youtu.be/9-GzYA9dxso
Yes, and that was when he was great, because he made numerous classic OP's that were also sung by Isao Sasaki, one of the great anison performers.

But the fact that he didn't write a single song (all songs are vocal to begin with, it's in the name) for DB but just performed re-arrangements that any other skilled composer can do (Kōhei Tanaka) is telling, and reveals the fact that people who were even better suited to score the whole show existed even back then (which is why DB really doesn't make it to at most the top 30 anime OST's of its time, much less now).
floofychan333 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm
Kojiro Sasaki wrote: The original composer of Makafushigi Adventure! is Takeshi Ike (池 毅) :P

(but the orchestral versions were arranged, of course, by Kikuchi-sama)
Well, yeah, but it's the Kikuchi variations that are awesome and since I can't recall him writing any non-instrumental pieces (save a couple choral pieces) then I really don't know what else to do.
He's still basically coasting on the work of another as well as his own reputation from the 60's and 70's. Plus it's not difficult for most composers to do.
(I know this post is pretty much 3 years old but still.)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am

Indeed; you appear to simply be going down the list of threads throughout the entire sub-forum, responding to all items regardless of age. Please pay attention to what you are viewing, and note that we ask you do not necropost in old, inactive threads.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am Indeed; you appear to simply be going down the list of threads throughout the entire sub-forum, responding to all items regardless of age. Please pay attention to what you are viewing, and note that we ask you do not necropost in old, inactive threads.
I understand, forgive me, I wasn't sure what the distance was between when a thread gets inactive or closed off for responding. It's less than a year?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:01 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am Indeed; you appear to simply be going down the list of threads throughout the entire sub-forum, responding to all items regardless of age. Please pay attention to what you are viewing, and note that we ask you do not necropost in old, inactive threads.
I understand, forgive me, I wasn't sure what the distance was between when a thread gets inactive or closed off for responding. It's less than a year?
It's recommended that posts don't get necroposted here. There isn't a inactive timer or a time when posts are locked for responses unless done manually by a Mod or Admin. It's just known that you shouldn't revive old threads for small little blurbs. That's just the way it works here.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:07 pm

simtek34 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:01 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 pm
It's recommended that posts don't get necroposted here. There isn't a inactive timer or a time when posts are locked for responses unless done manually by a Mod or Admin. It's just known that you shouldn't revive old threads for small little blurbs. That's just the way it works here.
I get that but how long before a thread in general gets considered inactive and any further posting is necroing? 1 month since the last post?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:14 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 amBut the fact that he didn't write a single song (all songs are vocal to begin with, it's in the name) for DB but just performed re-arrangements that any other skilled composer can do (Kōhei Tanaka) is telling, and reveals the fact that people who were even better suited to score the whole show existed even back then (which is why DB really doesn't make it to at most the top 30 anime OST's of its time, much less now).

He's still basically coasting on the work of another as well as his own reputation from the 60's and 70's. Plus it's not difficult for most composers to do.
Kikuchi composed two DB vocal songs: Muten Roshi no Oshie and The Son Gokuh Song.

Also, it's not a three-year necro post -just a three-year-later reply- so I don't believe you broke any necro-posting rules. At least not with THIS thread. Maybe in one of the others? The last post was only six weeks ago. Definitely fine from what I've seen here. Generally, if it's on the first page, tho, it's usually fine, I think... I mean, the Music forum doesn't get many visitors, so the conversations are kinda slow, and die out quickly. But that's better than nothing, I suppose.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:12 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:14 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 amBut the fact that he didn't write a single song (all songs are vocal to begin with, it's in the name) for DB but just performed re-arrangements that any other skilled composer can do (Kōhei Tanaka) is telling, and reveals the fact that people who were even better suited to score the whole show existed even back then (which is why DB really doesn't make it to at most the top 30 anime OST's of its time, much less now).

Kikuchi composed two DB vocal songs: Muten Roshi no Oshie and The Son Gokuh Song.

Also, it's not a three-year necro post -just a three-year-later reply- so I don't believe you broke any necro-posting rules. At least not with THIS thread. Maybe in one of the others? The last post was only six weeks ago. Definitely fine from what I've seen here. Generally, if it's on the first page, tho, it's usually fine, I think... I mean, the Music forum doesn't get many visitors, so the conversations are kinda slow, and die out quickly. But that's better than nothing, I suppose.
I saw the data in Tower Records so yeah, but comparatively (and especially when it comes to the Z series) he's almost nowhere else to be found in the vocal song work of those entries. And definitely nowhere near the OP's or ED's either.

I wonder why the admin implied that I did break the rule then.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:19 pm

I don't believe that Shunsuke Kikuchi coasted off the compositions of Takeshi Ike, Chiho Kiyooka, and Keiju Ishikawa. Sure, he had plenty of arrangements of their songs, but MOST of the music was original work. And it's that original work that was played the most, and is usually the most remembered of the BGM. Unlike Akihito Tokunaga whose only stand-out songs to me were the arrangements of DBGT's J-pop "theme songs". I don't know why Kikuchi didn't compose more, but I also don't know why Ike didn't compose more. He did nearly all the DB vocal songs, but then only ten for DBZ. Perhaps it was a style-related reason? Or a cost-related reason?

I checked, and some of your posts were in threads that hadn't been touched in one or two years. That's a bit too old, and Mister EX was certainly referring to those ones, and in addition also might have not realized that this old topic was revived with a necro-post back in November, not by you. But anyway, if it's a few months old (and still on the first page), I'm pretty sure it's fine. BUT, even if it's on the first page, if it's been almost a year, it would probably be better to start a new discussion; so that way people don't read thru all the old stuff (and reply to it) assuming it's new.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:59 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:19 pm I don't believe that Shunsuke Kikuchi coasted off the compositions of Takeshi Ike, Chiho Kiyooka, and Keiju Ishikawa. Sure, he had plenty of arrangements of their songs, but MOST of the music was original work. And it's that original work that was played the most, and is usually the most remembered of the BGM. Unlike Akihito Tokunaga whose only stand-out songs to me were the arrangements of DBGT's J-pop "theme songs". I don't know why Kikuchi didn't compose more, but I also don't know why Ike didn't compose more. He did nearly all the DB vocal songs, but then only ten for DBZ. Perhaps it was a style-related reason? Or a cost-related reason?
A lot of that work is barely any different from what he used to do for Grendizer and Getter Robo (also made by Toei and granted those ones were largely better since it fit their time as well as had more recurring melodies, plus he composed the classic OP and ED songs for them) and who knows how many other 70's Toei SR series that Chūmei Watanabe (still active) wasn't already handling. So I don't think they stand out above the OP/ED re-arrangements as those are largely the highlights of the show's OST being as they were also made for it. Kikuchi's OP/ED composing days were largely in the 70's it seems, along with when his work was still fresh, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore by the late 80's-early 90's.
I checked, and some of your posts were in threads that hadn't been touched in one or two years. That's a bit too old, and Mister EX was certainly referring to those ones, and in addition also might have not realized that this old topic was revived with a necro-post back in November, not by you. But anyway, if it's a few months old (and still on the first page), I'm pretty sure it's fine. BUT, even if it's on the first page, if it's been almost a year, it would probably be better to start a new discussion; so that way people don't read thru all the old stuff (and reply to it) assuming it's new.
I understand, I started a new discussion today but the reason I posted in these ones was because I thought it was ok to continue certain ongoing discussions rather than replace them entirely.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:16 pm

I haven't seen those, but I have heard his music in Dr Slump and Aralé and The New Tenchi Muyo! (AKA Tenchi in Tokyo), and I felt like the songs had enuf variety, and were quite catchy and fitting. But maybe that's just me. I will say, however, that the style of his music did fit the "old Chinese fairy tale" vibe Dragon Ball started with, and it changed to fit the other themes, like the spy music for the Red Ribbon Army stuff. I say there's a huge change over the course of the series. And his music in The New Tenchi Muyo! is, yeah, sometimes similar enuf you could throw it into the end of DBZ, but he did just finish that, so that was just his style at the time. That's like complaining that Dragon Quest characters look like could be from Dragon Ball. And anyway, I think there are also plenty of songs in The New Tenchi Muyo! that aren't possible to be placed into DBZ cuz they're just too different.

Also, Takeshi Ike's music was also old-sounding. A little bit at least. It was only late 70s styled, so it wasn't exactly "old" in '84, but it wasn't "current" either. It was a dying sound at that point. So the music for Dragon Ball as a whole gave off an "old" feeling, likely becuz they felt it should have the same sound design as Dr Slump and Aralé, which came out in '81.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:09 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:16 pm I haven't seen those, but I have heard his music in Dr Slump and Aralé and The New Tenchi Muyo! (AKA Tenchi in Tokyo), and I felt like the songs had enuf variety, and were quite catchy and fitting. But maybe that's just me. I will say, however, that the style of his music did fit the "old Chinese fairy tale" vibe Dragon Ball started with, and it changed to fit the other themes, like the spy music for the Red Ribbon Army stuff. I say there's a huge change over the course of the series. And his music in The New Tenchi Muyo! is, yeah, sometimes similar enuf you could throw it into the end of DBZ, but he did just finish that, so that was just his style at the time. That's like complaining that Dragon Quest characters look like could be from Dragon Ball. And anyway, I think there are also plenty of songs in The New Tenchi Muyo! that aren't possible to be placed into DBZ cuz they're just too different.

Also, Takeshi Ike's music was also old-sounding. A little bit at least. It was only late 70s styled, so it wasn't exactly "old" in '84, but it wasn't "current" either. It was a dying sound at that point. So the music for Dragon Ball as a whole gave off an "old" feeling, likely becuz they felt it should have the same sound design as Dr Slump and Aralé, which came out in '81.
That’s where the problem lies, the fact that you can even put a BGM from a different series handled by the same composer into another one and have it fit well means that there’s barely anything special about it. Now instead of Kikuchi, take Kōhei Tanaka as an example. Brave Exkaiser came out in 1990, G Gundam came out in 1994, and King of Braves came out in 1997. He scored all 3 of those, yet the soundtracks for those 3 different Sunrise TV shows couldn’t be mistaken for each other, they have their own unique identity as being part of the soundtrack. And this wasn’t too far from when DB and Z first came on the scene, not to mention he’s also the arranger of Makafushigi Adventure..
With Kikuchi meanwhile, Grendizer was 1975, and like his Dragon Ball BGM was a literal decade later, but just like that one, it features an overuse of tracks on the F minor key and generally sounds the same as a result, so he basically painted the silence of many of the works he handled with the same brush. His 70’s works get a pass though because, well, the 70’s and he did more work there.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: DragonBall Symphonic Adventure

Post by RoarkVegeta » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:01 pm

DNA
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Symphonic Adventure

Post by DNA » Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 am

The Portugal concert was cancelled. Fantastic, I understand this one, but it's the second symphonic concert that gets cancelled here. First was The Legend of Zelda: Symphonic of the Goddesses that I never got to attend either.

I find the lack of information on this disturbing. Do we have pamphlet scans, movement listings etc? I had no idea that Kikuchi was singing Kageyama's songs for example, found that out a few minutes ago.