Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 pm

I think this movie has shown that Sumitomo is the man of the future. He is not leaving the Dragon Ball anytime soon and enjoys his work. This soundtrack that came out last month was amazing and shows his growth into the role. I think that Dragon Ball music is in good hands and people should back off on Sumitomo.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 am

majinwarman wrote:I think this movie has shown that Sumitomo is the man of the future. He is not leaving the Dragon Ball anytime soon and enjoys his work. This soundtrack that came out last month was amazing and shows his growth into the role. I think that Dragon Ball music is in good hands
It took several tries for Sumitomo to finally get good at composing Dragon Ball music but at long last, he's doing a good job, thank god. Shunsuke Kikuchi, Akihito Tokunaga and Kenji Yamamoto all knew how the vibe of Dragon Ball music was and never had any problems identifying DB tunes.

Sumitomo was like FUNimation, they [FUNi] made crappy dubs endless times but once Kai arrived, they finally got their act together.
majinwarman wrote:people should back off on Sumitomo.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:39 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I think this movie has shown that Sumitomo is the man of the future. He is not leaving the Dragon Ball anytime soon and enjoys his work. This soundtrack that came out last month was amazing and shows his growth into the role. I think that Dragon Ball music is in good hands
It took several tries for Sumitomo to finally get good at composing Dragon Ball music but at long last, he's doing a good job, thank god. Shunsuke Kikuchi, Akihito Tokunaga and Kenji Yamamoto all knew how the vibe of Dragon Ball music was and never had any problems identifying DB tunes.

Sumitomo was like FUNimation, they [FUNi] made crappy dubs endless times but once Kai arrived, they finally got their act together.
majinwarman wrote:people should back off on Sumitomo.
I have enjoyed Sumitomo’s work before Super and I just enjoy seeing him growing into the role and Toei gave him the time to do it. Fans can quick to judge and not understanding the hard transition he had. I’m glad that fans are not in charge of Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:02 pm

After having watched numerous 70's, 80's, and 90's anime, I have to say any of the following:
Kōhei Tanaka (he arranged the first DB OP, did insert themes, and is a generally more gifted composer when it comes to making unique works).
Kenji Kawai (Ip Man OST, 'nuff said).
Kōichi Sugiyama (a contemporary of Kikuchi who also makes memorable compositions and has influenced others like Nobuo Uematsu).
Michiaki Watanabe (even older but he actually kept up with the times).
Yasunori Iwasaki (composed Solid State Scouter and also makes superior quality OST's for other shows).
Yasuo Higuchi
Toshiyuki Watanabe
Yasuharu Takanashi
Toshihiko Sahashi (Big O and Gingaman)
Hiroyuki Sawano
EDIT: Also Taku Iwasaki.

You guys are sleeping hard on these other great Japanese composers.