Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?

Post by Rory » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:55 pm Y’all are under no obligation to keep responding to each other back and forth.

(especially in giant quote trains)
Is this a new thing? I've noticed that people seem to be losing the ability to clip what they're quoting, do people just not know or care that failing to do this bloats threads and makes them the forum a nightmare to browse? I can think of two specific users on this forum who are super bad with this, and it's a death sentence for threads.

On the topic, my stance for Faulconer's score has always been: I like some of the compositions, I generally have a soft-spot for that pseudo new-age sound, while agreeing that the tracks themselves feel hollow and (as Mike has said before) are likely missing a layer of instrumentation.
I'd say my stance has actually harshened over time however, I generally listen to them less as time goes on (maybe if I want a nostalgia trip? even then I get bored quickly), and when seeing them in context at this point I often can't help but cringe somewhat (especially when people try to force it into Kai clips). I think it speaks volumes that the tracks sound generally fine (or even good) in the context of the Legacy of Goku games, while falling short in the show.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Rory wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:55 pm Y’all are under no obligation to keep responding to each other back and forth.

Is this a new thing?
It's definitely not a new thing, it's been going on for years now. In fact, it's what made me lose interest in the fanart threads because people kept quoting posts with 20+ large pictures multiple times on a single page, just to give a response that was less than ten words long. I kept getting on to people for that, but they kept going back to the quote trains.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Rory wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am

Is this a new thing? I've noticed that people seem to be losing the ability to clip what they're quoting, do people just not know or care that failing to do this bloats threads and makes them the forum a nightmare to browse? I can think of two specific users on this forum who are super bad with this, and it's a death sentence for threads.

On the topic, my stance for Faulconer's score has always been: I like some of the compositions, I generally have a soft-spot for that pseudo new-age sound, while agreeing that the tracks themselves feel hollow and (as Mike has said before) are likely missing a layer of instrumentation.
I'd say my stance has actually harshened over time however, I generally listen to them less as time goes on (maybe if I want a nostalgia trip? even then I get bored quickly), and when seeing them in context at this point I often can't help but cringe somewhat (especially when people try to force it into Kai clips). I think it speaks volumes that the tracks sound generally fine (or even good) in the context of the Legacy of Goku games, while falling short in the show.
Well i'm new here so I didn't know about the whole clipping thing, but i'll try to keep that in mind for the future.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 am

I never liked his score as it never fit the show for me. Before Kai, I'd watch Z's dub with the original soundtrack. That's not to say it's all bad as I like his Ssj3 theme, but apart from that, there's not much there for me.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:52 am -snip-
Chances are most of those tracks including the ones you mentioned weren’t even made by him.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:16 am

Nope; it actually got worse lol I Think that the replacement score aged terribly and a lot worse than how the Ocean dub BGM aged (original, not the Westwood one).

Though, compared to the GT and Ultimate Uncut replacement scores, Faulconer's is amazing.