Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 pm

VDenter wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:15 pm Nah. It has gotten worse in fact. This is one of those things that is so disrespectful to the source material and it so cancerous, that i have no interest in even entertaining the idea that it should exist.

It really shouldn't be anywhere close to this franchise and i'm glad that it isn't other than with the OG funi dub, which i have no interest in revisiting ever. The damage that the dub and this score have done to this series is pretty much irreparable to a degree and i find it pretty sad, but luckily if most new fans are going to get into the series, it will likely be with the original music. So that already makes things better than they were back when the dub aired. If i could have my way i would purge all traces of the Faulconer score from existence along with the OG Funi dub. Some things really don't need to be preserved and this is one of those things that has ZERO value.

I just hope this shite soundtrack fades into obscurity and in about 20 years nobody gives a shit about it anymore.
Which honestly is only a matter of time before it happens.

Even if i divorce the Faulconer score completely from DB and judge it completely on its own merits, i think it is abysmal trash. It doesn't sound good and it wouldn't really fit any material that exist, especially not DB.

The enjoyment that some have for this score is simply a HEAVY dose of nostalgia and that nostalgia is only there thanks to many in the US being introduced to a butchered, broken and completely unwatchable version of the show. .

While i don't love any other OST for DB other than Kikuchi, i would still gladly take ALL of them over Faulconer.

Yamamoto,Tokunaga, Sumitomo, all the other crap US replacment scores even.
Remember, due to being one of the first anime to break the adaptation cycle (those being the worst offenders of disrespect to the source material) and properly introduce dubbing (in English at least), it basically had to take quite a lot of hits here and there, by Saban even before Faulconer. North America in general just shouldn’t have been the choice. Perhaps maybe England or wherever would have done a better job since Europeans in general got a better deal with the show.

Also, the “Faulconer” score took about 66 episodes to appear anyways, so from the start it was bound to be taken in as bad a direction as it was, basically being a broken clock (that’s only right twice a day), lacking numerous qualities of a properly done OST. But it was limited to the Z series and thankfully nothing was done to the original Dragon Ball series which remains 100% unaltered on either the American or Japanese side, not even remade.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:09 pm

As a kid I didn't really remember the soundtrack to DBZ much at all(beyond Rock the Dragon and Prelude to Conflict), I was far too absorbed in the action to pay much attention to the soundtrack at all really. But as an adult now i'm really enjoying it to the point where I frequently listen to the soundtrack outside of the show itself(-Dead Zone being my favorite piece of music in the entire series bar none)i'm also happy that the movies got a bunch of rock and nu-metal(BTW never really got all the hate towards this genre, I always thought the hatedom towards it was WAY overblown, give me Limp Bizkit over so-called "alternative" garbage that's popular now like Twenty-One Pilots and Imagine Dragons ANY day of the week)bands that i'm a fan of on the soundtracks.

I do understand the dislike towards it, especially from those that grew up with the original, but for me the Faulconer soundtrack perfectly compliments the show so much it's difficult for me to imagine it without it. For me it's definitely not nostalgia talking, I legitimately think it's a good score.

I do wonder if people would've had less of an issue with the soundtrack if Funimation had taken a similar approach to what 4Kids did with Pokemon where they kept quite a bit of the original soundtrack and mixed in some original music, but they made their music sound pretty close in tone to the original version. Hell I only just recently found that out, for years I assumed 4Kids had replaced the entire soundtrack, and now i've come to find out they treated the show more respectfully then TCPI has(especially in terms of the soundtrack, I learned TCPI frequently replaces more then 50% of the shows original soundtrack for no real reason).
GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 pm
VDenter wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:15 pm Nah. It has gotten worse in fact. This is one of those things that is so disrespectful to the source material and it so cancerous, that i have no interest in even entertaining the idea that it should exist.

It really shouldn't be anywhere close to this franchise and i'm glad that it isn't other than with the OG funi dub, which i have no interest in revisiting ever. The damage that the dub and this score have done to this series is pretty much irreparable to a degree and i find it pretty sad, but luckily if most new fans are going to get into the series, it will likely be with the original music. So that already makes things better than they were back when the dub aired. If i could have my way i would purge all traces of the Faulconer score from existence along with the OG Funi dub. Some things really don't need to be preserved and this is one of those things that has ZERO value.

I just hope this shite soundtrack fades into obscurity and in about 20 years nobody gives a shit about it anymore.

Even if i divorce the Faulconer score completely from DB and judge it completely on its own merits, i think it is abysmal trash. It doesn't sound good and it wouldn't really fit any material that exist, especially not DB.

The enjoyment that some have for this score is simply a HEAVY dose of nostalgia and that nostalgia is only there thanks to many in the US being introduced to a butchered, broken and completely unwatchable version of the show. .

While i don't love any other OST for DB other than Kikuchi, i would still gladly take ALL of them over Faulconer.

Remember, due to being one of the first anime to break the adaptation cycle (those being the worst offenders of disrespect to the source material) and properly introduce dubbing (in English at least), it basically had to take quite a lot of hits here and there, by Saban even before Faulconer. North America in general just shouldn’t have been the choice. Perhaps maybe England or wherever would have done a better job since Europeans in general got a better deal with the show.

Also, the “Faulconer” score took about 66 episodes to appear anyways, so from the start it was bound to be taken in as bad a direction as it was, basically being a broken clock (that’s only right twice a day), lacking numerous qualities of a properly done OST. But it was limited to the Z series and thankfully nothing was done to the original Dragon Ball series which remains 100% unaltered on either the American or Japanese side, not even remade.
Well not 100% unaltered exactly, see Funimation did dub the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball with their own original music score(which was kinda eh, not great but not awful either) and aired them in syndication in 1995 but due to poor timeslots and nearly non-existent promotion the show didn't really take off, so Funimation then made the decision to skip the rest of DB and go to DBZ and the rest is history. Trimark had the rights to those 13 episodes for the longest time(until at least 2009 I think) so they continued selling them on DVD until Funimation finally got the rights to those episodes back.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 am

This is laughably dramatic. I understand not being a fan of the score and acknowledging how far from the source material it was, because that I agree with. But acting like this about it 20 something years later is something I never understood with some of the people here. Wanting to pretend it doesn't exist and making the assumption people can only enjoy the score out of nostalgia is just childish, and even if most of them do, who cares? It exists, people enjoy it, no reason why they can't just because you don't.
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 am

This is laughably dramatic. I understand not being a fan of the score and acknowledging how far from the source material it was, because that I agree with. But acting like this about it 20 something years later is something I never understood with some of the people here. Wanting to pretend it doesn't exist and making the assumption people can only enjoy the score out of nostalgia is just childish, and even if most of them do, who cares? It exists, people enjoy it, no reason why they can't just because you don't.
Agreed, not liking the score is one thing, but claiming that ANYONE that says they like it is only saying so out of "nostalgia" is incredibly narrow-minded and authoritative.

Seems like whenever discussion of the Falconer score comes up, some people go into straight up "stop liking things I don't like!" territory(to quote the late great TotalBiscuit), which frankly i've never understood. For example I think Twilight is one of the worst things ever written, but i'm not going to imply that the people that enjoyed it were somehow incorrect for doing so.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 am

Agreed, not liking the score is one thing, but claiming that ANYONE that says they like it is only saying so out of "nostalgia" is incredibly narrow-minded and authoritative.

Seems like whenever discussion of the Falconer score comes up, some people go into straight up "stop liking things I don't like!" territory(to quote the late great TotalBiscuit), which frankly i've never understood. For example I think Twilight is one of the worst things ever written, but i'm not going to imply that the people that enjoyed it were somehow incorrect for doing so.
Agreed. Some people really need to find a better way to spend their time if you still get bent out of shape this much 17 years after the Z dub ended. Get over yourself honestly.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:08 pm

As someone who mostly grew up with it (I got into the series with the Ocean dub, but Faulconer's was the most prevalent in my life), it's only worsened, though not to the degree that a lot of people around here hate it.

People are right that it often doesn't shut up, often misses the tone, but it still has it's epic moments like SS3 Goku, Gotenks' "birth," and many others. I wouldn't say it's generic, because honestly I've never heard another show's soundtrack sound anything like it regardless of the genre, but the bulk of it is pretty bad.

That said, I still enjoy watching the original English dub of Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge because hard rock, nu metal, and alternative rock are my main musical genres of interest.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Even though I watched the OG in house Z dub with the Team Faulconer score it is mostly neither here not there for me at this point, and as i've gradually trended toward the original Kikuchi score both with the series and movies over time it's effectively become more or less a relic i'll only occasionally give a curiosity viewing no more no less.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 pm

He was fine as a kid. As an adult, he's terrible.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 pm He was fine as a kid. As an adult, he's terrible.
I think you might've accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm Agreed. Some people really need to find a better way to spend their time if you still get bent out of shape this much 17 years after the Z dub ended. Get over yourself honestly.
Just take a moment to consider in what forum you made that post in and what the topic is exactly about.

I don't think you really have any right to tell me how i should spend my time. Those were some wild assumptions on your part about me to begin with.

Oh no, my mistake. You are complete right, how dare i dislike the Faulconer score. I guess just because some time has passed that means it is now somehow retroactively a good soundtrack. Funny how that works.
Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 am This is laughably dramatic. I understand not being a fan of the score and acknowledging how far from the source material it was, because that I agree with. But acting like this about it 20 something years later is something I never understood with some of the people here. Wanting to pretend it doesn't exist and making the assumption people can only enjoy the score out of nostalgia is just childish, and even if most of them do, who cares? It exists, people enjoy it, no reason why they can't just because you don't.
I acknowledge that it exist but i disagree with you.

Overdramatic? No, i don't think so. I don't really have any interest in playing mental gymnastics and pretend that the Faulconer score has some or any merit to speak of. Or that it should be placed anywhere near the same level of importance as the original score, just so we could be fair about it i guess. No. I have had enough conversations with plenty of dub fans and i can make a pretty well informed opinion about where their enjoyment for the Faulconer score likely comes from at this point. I'm sure that there likely exist a very small fraction of the fanbase that consider that drivel as good music but those fall likely somewhere in the 1%

I'm pretty sure it is a case of just blind nostalgia and a bit of stockholm syndrome for the other 99%. I find the idea laughable honestly that anyone would be really defending anything about it if they hadn't seen it as a kid. The dub and by extension the Faulconer score is a abysmal product that had no involvement from the creators of the actual source material and as a result i think it is completely OK to discard it from my perspective.

Heck if the creator of this site came in and banned all discussion about the OG Funi dub and the Faulconer score, because it has nothing to do with the real version of DBZ and so it has nothing to do with Dragon Ball as a whole, i would be 100% on board with that completely justifiable decision.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 pm

VDenter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm Agreed. Some people really need to find a better way to spend their time if you still get bent out of shape this much 17 years after the Z dub ended. Get over yourself honestly.
Just take a moment to consider in what forum you made that post in and what the topic is exactly about.

I don't think you really have any right to tell me how i should spend my time. Those were some wild assumptions on your part about me to begin with.

Oh no, my mistake. You are complete right, how dare i dislike the Faulconer score. I guess just because some time has passed that means it is now somehow retroactively a good soundtrack. Funny how that works.
Arteaga4K wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 am This is laughably dramatic. I understand not being a fan of the score and acknowledging how far from the source material it was, because that I agree with. But acting like this about it 20 something years later is something I never understood with some of the people here. Wanting to pretend it doesn't exist and making the assumption people can only enjoy the score out of nostalgia is just childish, and even if most of them do, who cares? It exists, people enjoy it, no reason why they can't just because you don't.

Overdramatic? No, i don't think so. I don't really have any interest in playing mental gymnastics and pretend that the Faulconer score has some or any merit to speak of. Or that it should be placed anywhere near the same level of importance as the original score, just so we could be fair about it i guess. No. I have had enough conversations with plenty of dub fans and i can make a pretty well informed opinion about where their enjoyment for the Faulconer score likely comes from at this point. I'm sure that there likely exist a very small fraction of the fanbase that consider that drivel as good music but those fall likely somewhere in the 1%

I'm pretty sure it is a case of just blind nostalgia and a bit of stockholm syndrome for the other 99%. I find the idea laughable honestly that anyone would be really defending anything about it if they hadn't seen it as a kid. The dub and by extension the Faulconer score is a abysmal product that had no involvement from the creators of the actual source material and as a result i think it is completely OK to discard it from my perspective.

Heck if the creator of this site came in and banned all discussion about the OG Funi dub and the Faulconer score, because it has nothing to do with the real version of DBZ and so it has nothing to do with Dragon Ball as a whole, i would be 100% on board with that completely justifiable decision.
Nah I think I was right in what I said going by this type of response. You act like what you say is a fact. It’s been 17 years and to still hate a score for a cartoon this much, goes without saying. I don’t know how you got “that means I should like it now!” From what I said, but no. Nobody gives a flying fuck if you hate it. Just don’t say asinine shit like “people only like it because of Stockholm syndrome”
Last edited by Dbzfan94 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Disliking is one thing, acting like the only possible way people can actually enjoy it is "nostalgia" is quite another.

For me it's absolutely not a case of "Stockholm syndrome" in the least because I had almost zero memory of the soundtrack from back when I watched the show on CN. The first time I ever properly heard the soundtrack was many years later after the show went off the air when I checked out some samples online from Amazon(from one of the soundtrack releases) after reading DBZU and seeing Psaros bitch about the soundtrack, I was like "this guy's got to be exaggerating, I don't remember it being THAT bad" and sure enough it wasn't, I loved what I heard and since then i've frequently listened to it on Youtube.

I know it's difficult for people like you to comprehend, but lots of DBZ fans do unironically enjoy listening to Faulconer's work and it's not just nostalgia talking. I'll certainly gladly listen to it over a lot of what passes for popular music these days(*cough* Post Malone *cought*).

Advocating for banning discussion of something in the franchise just cause you don't like it is truly one of the most elitist gatekeepy things i've ever heard anyone say(reminds me of when one of the jackasses that ran Sailor Moon Uncensored said he wished the show had NEVER gotten a dub in the first place, regardless of the fact that a dub never happening pretty much means anime would've never taken off in a major way the U.S. since SM's dub was like ground zero for that, as it was getting big ratings months before CN picked up DBZ)it just boggles my mind how people can be this arrogant and narrow-minded.

I'd personally be fine if this kind of holier-then-thou "i'm a sub fan so that makes me better then you" nonsense was banned entirely, I don't think anything of value whatsoever would be lost if that was the case. I find it laughable that you are so close-minded that you think your opinion about the franchise is the only correct one to have. Seems like you're the only one playing "mental gymnastics" here.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 pm Disliking is one thing, acting like the only possible way people can actually enjoy it is "nostalgia" is quite another.

For me it's absolutely not a case of "Stockholm syndrome" in the least because I had almost zero memory of the soundtrack from back when I watched the show on CN. The first time I ever properly heard the soundtrack was many years later after the show went off the air when I checked out some samples online from Amazon(from one of the soundtrack releases) after reading DBZU and seeing Psaros bitch about the soundtrack, I was like "this guy's got to be exaggerating, I don't remember it being THAT bad" and sure enough it wasn't, I loved what I heard and since then i've frequently listened to it on Youtube.

I know it's difficult for people like you to comprehend, but lots of DBZ fans do unironically enjoy listening to Faulconer's work and it's not just nostalgia talking. I'll certainly gladly listen to it over a lot of what passes for popular music these days(*cough* Post Malone *cought*).

Advocating for banning discussion of something in the franchise just cause you don't like it is truly one of the most elitist gatekeepy things i've ever heard anyone say(reminds me of when one of the jackasses that ran Sailor Moon Uncensored said he wished the show had NEVER gotten a dub in the first place, regardless of the fact that a dub never happening pretty much means anime would've never taken off in a major way the U.S. since SM's dub was like ground zero for that, as it was getting big ratings months before CN picked up DBZ)it just boggles my mind how people can be this arrogant and narrow-minded.

I'd personally be fine if this kind of holier-then-thou "i'm a sub fan so that makes me better then you" nonsense was banned entirely, I don't think anything of value whatsoever would be lost if that was the case. I find it laughable that you are so close-minded that you think your opinion about the franchise is the only correct one to have. Seems like you're the only one playing "mental gymnastics" here.
Pretty much agreed. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Disliking is one thing, acting like the only possible way people can actually enjoy it is "nostalgia" is quite another.

:lol:

First of all i'm not going around knocking at peoples houses and demanding that they remove all traces of the Faulconer score and prohibit them from ever listening or talking about it. Your response is pretty overdramatic and it comes across like you are purposefully trying to twist what i was saying.

I am not advocating that any discussion about it be banned on this forum. MY POINT was simply that i do not consider it the same product as DBZ, or that i want to acknowledge it as having any merit worth preserving. So if hypothetically a discussion about it were to be banned here, i would simply have zero issues with it since i don't think it has anything to do with Dragon Ball in the first place.NONE of the original creators of the show had anything to do with it and the group that did, they had such a low opinion on what they were working on and the audience they were present it to. So based on those facts It is a completely separate product that has nothing to do with DB. In the same way Transformers is a completely separate product from Dragon Ball. It is simple as that. Sorry if that bothers you. I am fully allowed to despise everything about this dub soundtrack. I love DB and i really wish this abomination that is attached to it didn't exist. So that i wouldn't have to be reminded that it exists.

I don't see what is even remotely "holier than thou" or "elitist" about that opinion? Simply put the Faulconer score was produced under shitty circumstances and the end result is something completely disrespectful to the VERY CORE of this franchise and in my opinion complete trash even when completely removed from this franchise and judged on its own merits.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

VDenter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:36 pm

First of all i'm not going around knocking at peoples houses and demanding that they remove all traces of the Faulconer score and prohibit them from ever listening or talking about it. Your response is pretty overdramatic and it comes across like you are purposefully trying to twist what i was saying.

I am not advocating that any discussion about it be banned on this forum. MY POINT was simply that i do not consider it the same product as DBZ, or that i want to acknowledge it as having any merit worth preserving. So if hypothetically a discussion about it were to be banned here, i would simply have zero issues with it since i don't think it has anything to do with Dragon Ball in the first place.NONE of the original creators of the show had anything to do with it and the group that did, they had such a low opinion on what they were working on and the audience they were present it to. So based on those facts It is a completely separate product that has nothing to do with DB. In the same way Transformers is a completely separate product from Dragon Ball. It is simple as that. Sorry if that bothers you. I am fully allowed to despise everything about this dub soundtrack. I love DB and i really wish this abomination that is attached to it didn't exist. So that i wouldn't have to be reminded that it exists.

I don't see what is even remotely "holier than thou" or "elitist" about that opinion? Simply put the Faulconer score was produced under shitty circumstances and the end result is something completely disrespectful to the VERY CORE of this franchise and in my opinion complete trash even when completely removed from this franchise and judged on its own merits.
But you are saying you'd rather all discussion of the soundtrack be banned from here and you genuinely believe almost all of the fans of the soundtrack are only fans out of "nostalgia", so nah I think it's you that's being "overdramatic" here.

I personally don't think it's "disrespectful" or "complete trash" in the least and I think it adds quite a bit to the show, but that's just me. If you hate it fine, but don't try to psychoanalyze those that do like it, you aren't psychic or a mind-reaper and you have NO possible way of proving with absolutely certainty that all of the people that like the soundtrack ONLY do so cause of "stockholm syndrome" or other such nonsensical claims, so I don't really see what you are hoping to gain here, holding a grudge against a dub that went off the air over 15 years ago does not sound healthy in the least and I fail to see what still being bitter about it accomplishes at all.

There are plenty of things i'm not happy about that I can't do anything about, i was annoyed that the initial plans of the DCEU didn't work out as planned as I was genuinely interested to see where it was going, but I know griping about it and sniping at MCU fans isn't going to solve anything, so I got over it and just accepted it.

Bottom line, trying to act like it's impossible for people to like the score without having grown up watching the show isn't going to retroactively prevent the dub from ever happening in the first place as much as i'm sure you wish that was the case, so I fail to see what exactly is to be gained from this contant bitterness at people for daring to like something you don't like.

Never said you "weren't allowed" to dislike it, you are, but it seems like just disliking the soundtrack and the dub is never enough for people like you, you always have to take it one step further and passive-aggressively go after those that do unironically enjoy it

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about the fact that none of the original creators were involved because that's just how dubbing works(i'm guessing you don't like any dubs period judging from your post), if you don't like that then oh well, but like it or not the vast majority of people on this forum wouldn't' be here without the show getting dubbed and beamed to millions of people on CN. After all, not everyone was fortunate enough to grow up near a major city where they had access to underground tape-trading circuits to gain access to fansubs.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

But you are saying you'd rather all discussion of the soundtrack be banned from here and you genuinely believe almost all of the fans of the soundtrack are only fans out of "nostalgia", so nah I think it's you that's being "overdramatic" here.

I personally don't think it's "disrespectful" or "complete trash" in the least and I think it adds quite a bit to the show, but that's just me. If you hate it fine, but don't try to psychoanalyze those that do like it, you aren't psychic or a mind-reaper and you have NO possible way of proving with absolutely certainty that all of the people that like the soundtrack ONLY do so cause of "stockholm syndrome" or other such nonsensical claims, so I don't really see what you are hoping to gain here, holding a grudge against a dub that went off the air over 15 years ago does not sound healthy in the least and I fail to see what still being bitter about it accomplishes at all.

There are plenty of things i'm not happy about that I can't do anything about, i was annoyed that the initial plans of the DCEU didn't work out as planned as I was genuinely interested to see where it was going, but I know griping about it and sniping at MCU fans isn't going to solve anything, so I got over it and just accepted it.

Bottom line, trying to act like it's impossible for people to like the score without having grown up watching the show isn't going to retroactively prevent the dub from ever happening in the first place as much as i'm sure you wish that was the case, so I fail to see what exactly is to be gained from this contant bitterness at people for daring to like something you don't like.

Never said you "weren't allowed" to dislike it, you are, but it seems like just disliking the soundtrack and the dub is never enough for people like you, you always have to take it one step further and passive-aggressively go after those that do unironically enjoy it

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about the fact that none of the original creators were involved because that's just how dubbing works(i'm guessing you don't like any dubs period judging from your post), if you don't like that then oh well, but like it or not the vast majority of people on this forum wouldn't' be here without the show getting dubbed and beamed to millions of people on CN. After all, not everyone was fortunate enough to grow up near a major city where they had access to underground tape-trading circuits to gain access to fansubs.

Your examples of DCEU plans failing or whatever don't really have any relevance here. Because this is a topic about opinions on the Faulconer score on a Dragon Ball forum. In case you missed it here is the title of this topic.

"Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?"

I don't think it could be any more clear than that. So based on that title what exactly did i say that you find so disagreeable?

Sorry but i'm not going to just not say the thing that i think is appropriate, just because some might find it "Elitist","Overdramatic," "Holier than thou"....etc.

Just because YOU don't want to say anything about a particular topic that doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to do it. I don't really care if you find my opinion on the matter hyperbolic.

And yeah i do find it completely disrespectful when DBZ got made and became popular. Then about a decade later a company that had no say in the creation of the show decided for a brand new audience(mostly) in the US, what DBZ is, and changed basically everything about it for no good reason at all, as a result.

Your argument for many being introduced to it this way is moot, because the same audience could have been introduced to a properly dubbed version of the show that had the OG soundtrack. If we could peak into a alternative timeline where this occurred, nobody would be saying that DBZ needs anything like the Faulconer score, instead of the score that it already has. I never said the show shouldn't have been dubbed but it should have been done properly with all the pieces of the original version intact. This didn't happen.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 pm

VDenter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

Your examples of DCEU plans failing or whatever don't really have any relevance here. Because this is a topic about opinions on the Faulconer score on a Dragon Ball forum. In case you missed it here is the title of this topic.

"Has your opinion on Faulconer softened over time?"

I don't think it could be any more clear than that. So based on that title what exactly did i say that you find so disagreeable?

Sorry but i'm not going to just not say the thing that i think is appropriate, just because some might find it "Elitist","Overdramatic," "Holier than thou"....etc.

Just because YOU don't want to say anything about a particular topic that doesn't mean that others aren't allowed to do it. I don't really care if you find my opinion on the matter hyperbolic.

And yeah i do find it completely disrespectful when DBZ got made and became popular. Then about a decade later a company that had no say in the creation of the show decided for a brand new audience(mostly) in the US, what DBZ is, and changed basically everything about it for no good reason at all, as a result.

Your argument for many being introduced to it this way is moot, because the same audience could have been introduced to a properly dubbed version of the show that had the OG soundtrack. If we could peak into a alternative timeline where this occurred, nobody would be saying that DBZ needs anything like the Faulconer score, instead of the score that it already has. I never said the show shouldn't have been dubbed but it should have been done properly with all the pieces of the original version intact. This didn't happen.
Apparently the concept of using examples to elaborate on a point is something completely foreign to you, yes i'm well aware of what kind of topic it is, being a smart-ass does not automatically make you always right about everything. I really shouldn't have to explain this like i'm talking to a child but here we are.

Oh there still would've been people that would've wanted a different score, maybe not as many but it's inaccurate to say that NOBODY at all would've wanted a score like the one we got, you don't have a crystal ball so you've got no possible way of knowing that with absolute 100% certainty. You can play the "what if" game all day long, but it won't actually solve anything.

I don't find it "disrespectful" in the least, you do, and that should really be the end of it, but of course you have to take it one step further and desperately try to covert people over to your side. Well sorry but that's not happening with me or any other dub fans and you'll just have to accept that instead of continuously wallowing in your own bitterness about something that was already done with ages ago.

You seem to be projecting here, i'm fine with talking about the soundtrack and I never once said I didn't want to talk about(Clearly reading comprehension is not one of your strong points), but i'm not fine with this arrogant grandstanding and acting like your opinion is somehow more "correct" then others(i've noticed this with sadly too many sub fans, sorry to break it to you, but preferring the original version and getting into it before the dub aired does not make you special or unique)just because you're a sub fan. I've seen this kind of attitude not just with DBZ but with other English dubs and while it might've been understandable in the 90s and 2000s, at this point it's just wearing out it's welcome. Criticizing something is all well and good, but when you move on to criticizing the fans that's where you lose me.

I don't really care how insane you think fans are for liking this version of the show, that's never going to change and the sooner you accept that the happier you'll be.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Y’all are under no obligation to keep responding to each other back and forth.

(especially in giant quote trains)

That being said, I gotta side with VDenter a bit here. They answered the very specific question posed by the original topic poster and explained further when pressed on it. Whatcha think you were gonna get out of that? 🤷🏻‍♂️
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Edit: Just saw your post VegettoEX after i posted this initially. I will just drop this conversation here.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Fair enough, i've said my piece and i've got nothing more to add here anyways.