High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Arc
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by Arc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:46 am

It's a shame that the English versions of Makafushi Adventure and Romantic Ageru Yo (I'll Give You Romance) didn't get a soundtrack release.

Where would I be able to find the highest quality version of these songs? Were they featured on any Blu-rays? (or anybody know where I can download them? :silent: )

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 am

Arc wrote:It's a shame that the English versions of Makafushi Adventure and Romantic Ageru Yo (I'll Give You Romance) didn't get a soundtrack release.

Where would I be able to find the highest quality version of these songs? Were they featured on any Blu-rays? (or anybody know where I can download them? :silent: )
If memory serves me right the English versions of the OP/ED themes can only be found officially on the DB singles releases from around the early 2000's (or saga's as they were called at the time) and the blue brick season sets from 2009 or around that time, your best bet would probably be to get ahold of one of those releases (or at least a disc from one of the season sets if you don't want to buy a whole season just for the songs, the singles are only 2 discs each so they shouldn't be too costly in comparison) ripping the DVD to hard drive and then rip the song yourself using audacity because currently that's the best you can possibly get as FUNi hasn't released DB on Blu-ray yet and probably never will unless Toei remasters the series for Blu-ray like they're currently doing for the movies (I should also note that the season sets are advertised as being in 5.1 surround sound, IDK if the OP/ED's are in 5.1 as well since I don't own any of the DB season sets but I know the episodes themselves are for sure, so if the OP/ED's on the season sets are in 5.1 as well you may also have to factor downmixing into the equation as well depending on if you want them as standard stereo tracks or not).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 am

There were a couple of US and Canada and CD releases of Dragon Ball. Dodging that, you could just extract the exact audio from the DVD/BD and make the OPs and EDs from it.

FUNimation's Faulconer Productions CDs had some weird covers which didn't resemble Dragon Ball when I'd seen them. One of them had a blonde chick and the rest had black backgrounds with red text.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:36 am

superrayman3 wrote:
Arc wrote:It's a shame that the English versions of Makafushi Adventure and Romantic Ageru Yo (I'll Give You Romance) didn't get a soundtrack release.

Where would I be able to find the highest quality version of these songs? Were they featured on any Blu-rays? (or anybody know where I can download them? :silent: )
If memory serves me right the English versions of the OP/ED themes can only be found officially on the DB singles releases from around the early 2000's (or saga's as they were called at the time) and the blue brick season sets from 2009 or around that time, your best bet would probably be to get ahold of one of those releases (or at least a disc from one of the season sets if you don't want to buy a whole season just for the songs, the singles are only 2 discs each so they shouldn't be too costly in comparison) ripping the DVD to hard drive and then rip the song yourself using audacity because currently that's the best you can possibly get as FUNi hasn't released DB on Blu-ray yet and probably never will unless Toei remasters the series for Blu-ray like they're currently doing for the movies (I should also note that the season sets are advertised as being in 5.1 surround sound, IDK if the OP/ED's are in 5.1 as well since I don't own any of the DB season sets but I know the episodes themselves are for sure, so if the OP/ED's on the season sets are in 5.1 as well you may also have to factor downmixing into the equation as well depending on if you want them as standard stereo tracks or not).
It's not even necessary to rip it to the hard drive but insert the disc and extract the files. But yeah, he could rip if he wanted.

Arc
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by Arc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:There were a couple of US and Canada and CD releases of Dragon Ball.
Really? Which ones?

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Arc wrote:Really? Which ones?
So, as for Music CDs...

Television Score(s)

Dragon Ball: Original USA TV Soundtrack Recording
Dragon Ball Z: Original USA Television Soundtrack - Ron Wasserman (Ocean Dub)

Dragon Ball Z: American Soundtrack - Faulconer Productions (FUNimation Dub)
  • Volume I
  • Volume II
  • Volume III
  • Volume IV
  • Volume V
  • Volume VI: The Lost Tracks of DBZ
  • Trunks Compendium
  • The History of Trunks
  • Android 18: The Android Sagas
  • Buu: The Majin Sagas
Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters (Available on iTunes/Amazon/Spotify but exclusive to France)

Movie Score(s)

Dragon Ball: Evolution - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F - Original Soundtrack (iTunes/Amazon/Google)

Game Score(s)

Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Available via the Limited Edition bundle released in the European market)

=====================================================================================================

Well, that's it, I think.

Bandai Namco Entertainment is cheap as hell now but makes really expensive "Limited Edition" and "Collector's Edition" sets these days without even including a damn CD like they once did before for Raging Blast, Raging Blast 2 did at least have a cool 3D thingy, Battle of Z a Super Saiyan Goku statue and so on but would have much preferred a Music CD instead. The statues can be bought individually whereas the CDs would be an exclusive as they wouldn't be purchasable if it weren't through those LEs and CEs. Meh, it's Bandai, whadya expect.

Note: The Ocean Dub Music CD is credited to Shuki Levy and Kussa Mahehi (it's Haim Saban's alias) but Wasserman is the one who actually did the work. Just remembered, Bruce Faulconer took the whole fame for the US DBZ music but it was actually a group of four musicians who all worked on it (inc. Scott Morgan).

Arc
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by Arc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:26 pm

But none of those have the two songs I was asking for...

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:12 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:There were a couple of US and Canada and CD releases of Dragon Ball.
For Z there were a few releases but there was only one English OST for OG DB that was released as far as I'm aware and it only has stuff that was made back when FUNi was working with BLT productions for their first dub of the series from I believe 1995 which used this opening and ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mht7phPbd0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDDh3umY3X0

What Arc is asking for is high quality versions of these which I'm pretty sure have never been released on CD officially:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrnIGAXxNLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9mUSxq7Kg

Like I said previously either the FUNi DB singles from the early 2000's or the blue brick season sets are pretty much the only options when it comes to getting those songs officially and thanks JohnnyCashKami for reminding me that the whole disc doesn't need to be ripped to hard drive only a part of the disc that has either the OP/ED needs to be ripped (it's been a while since I last used DVD decrypter and I completely forgot that it had that feature).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 am

Arc wrote:But none of those have the two songs I was asking for...
Then your solution is extracting the lossy AC3 copies from the DVDs, you can either use the Saga Sets or the Blue Bricks.

I'd not mind doing it myself but I'm unable to do it anytime soon. I'll try to come up with something for you, though.

Arc
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by Arc » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:you can either use the Saga Sets or the Blue Bricks.
Do you know which one is better? KBABZ sent me MP3s that were taken from the Blue Bricks.

(Though another concern is that if it's already lossy, then wouldn't an MP3 encoding be even more lossy?)

Edit: Oh yeah, and sorry about the confusion; I didn't know FUNimation was also involved with that other dub.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Arc wrote:Do you know which one is better? KBABZ sent me MP3s that were taken from the Blue Bricks.

(Though another concern is that if it's already lossy, then wouldn't an MP3 encoding be even more lossy?)

Edit: Oh yeah, and sorry about the confusion; I didn't know FUNimation was also involved with that other dub.
Picture Quality - Saga Sets
Audio Quality (Eng Dub 5.1) - Blue Bricks

Here's the OP and ED as you've asked, and they're in AC3 (DVD audio format).

If FUNimation releases Dragon Ball on Blu-ray then we can finally have lossless copies of the OP and ED songs. So far, just the DVD versions.

Arc
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by Arc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey, thanks a ton!

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: High Quality Funimation OP/ED of Dragon Ball?

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:50 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Arc wrote:But none of those have the two songs I was asking for...
Then your solution is extracting the lossy AC3 copies from the DVDs, you can either use the Saga Sets or the Blue Bricks.

I'd not mind doing it myself but I'm unable to do it anytime soon. I'll try to come up with something for you, though.
CD audio is lossy too.

Post Reply