The Dragon Ball Super: Broly OST Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

The Dragon Ball Super: Broly OST Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 am

Well, since previews for the entire OST are out, I thought it was reasonable to make a thread for the movie's OST.

Here's a link to the list of the tracks along with the previews for each track:

(CAUTION: THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THESE TRACK TITLES):

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07JN9B1FR

- - -

This may easily be some of Sumitomo's best work on the franchise. He has really outdone himself. This is just amazing! :clap:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: The Dragon Ball Super: Broly OST Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 pm

It sounds great, but those tracks with the announcer are so cringe and jarring... I mean, had the used some instrumental versions and it would be on par with the rest of the OST.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:56 pm

superfan2024 wrote:This may easily be some of Sumitomo's best work on the franchise. He has really outdone himself. This is just amazing! :clap:
About time if it is, Sumitomo's Dragon Ball music is lacking in comparison to the legacy composers of the series so hopefully this is when he gets it right. Not too hopeful, to be honest.

The movie will be awesome, either way. :)

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:This may easily be some of Sumitomo's best work on the franchise. He has really outdone himself. This is just amazing! :clap:
About time if it is, Sumitomo's Dragon Ball music is lacking in comparison to the legacy composers of the series so hopefully this is when he gets it right. Not too hopeful, to be honest.

The movie will be awesome, either way. :)
You need to stop underestimating my boy Sumitomo.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 am

I just gave a listen to the full version of Bardock's Demise/Falls on youtube. I don't think any of the other dragon ball composers could have composed such a score, not even Takaki or Kikuchi, that one right there might possibly be the greatest dragon ball track to date. Sumitomo sure had a rocky start, but his symphonic pieces were always top notch, in this freaking movie it looks like he's in his game, he even brought some jazz into the mix! (Listen to I'm Kakarot) and you know the man's jazz is freaking amazing since that's how he started he's a saxophonist!
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:31 pm

The entire OST has been uploaded online and I must say... this is probably Sumitomo's best work on the franchise. The score is absolutely phenomenal. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjk9kEfjKF0

This is my favorite track on the OST, and I can't stop replaying it ^ :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Listened to score for DBS Broly, and I agree with the consensus that it's Sumitomo's best work on Dragon Ball by leaps and bounds.

"Full-Force Kamehameha", "Bardock's Demise" and "Broly vs. Gogeta" are the major highlights for me.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Listened to score for DBS Broly, and I agree with the consensus that it's Sumitomo's best work on Dragon Ball by leaps and bounds.

"Full-Force Kamehameha", "Bardock's Demise" and "Broly vs. Gogeta" are the major highlights for me.
Do you know the name of the track that was in the end of the first full Broly trailer? Is it even in the ost?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:54 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Listened to score for DBS Broly, and I agree with the consensus that it's Sumitomo's best work on Dragon Ball by leaps and bounds.

Do you know the name of the track that was in the end of the first full Broly trailer? Is it even in the ost?
The name of the track at the end of the first DBS Broly movie is Parallel Universe by X-Ray Dog.

And, no, it isn't in the DBS Broly soundtrack.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

The name of the track at the end of the first DBS Broly trailer is Parallel Universe by X-Ray Dog.

And, no, it isn't in the DBS Broly soundtrack.
I'm glad someone found the source for at least part of it. People ask about this all the time. Since the end is confirmed to be from this, I'm guessing the first part of the trailer is from two other separate pieces.

Sumitomo has been my favorite composer since my first exposure to him, which was BOG + ROF + early Super (all in a short timeframe). The Broly OST is phenomenal, and certainly his best overall work on DB (it's only really comparable to previous movies because of the way they are written), but some of my favorite Sumitomo tracks are from Kai. His talent has always been there, but I think it didn't become obvious to most people until things calmed down for him somewhere around the Black arc of Super and we started to get more of that meaty Sumitomo and less filler. This interview discusses his beginnings a bit; as he was hired to replace Yamamoto on the fly, and then he had to do two movies and dive into Super's shitty production schedule, I imagine things were quite hectic for him for a while.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 pm

Terez wrote:I'm glad someone found the source for at least part of it. People ask about this all the time. Since the end is confirmed to be from this, I'm guessing the first part of the trailer is from two other separate pieces.
Teaser Trailer - soundtrack (Title: Operation Cutthroat, Artist: George Gabriel, Album: Dramatized)
Trailer 1 - 1st soundtrack (Title: Quanta, Artist: X-Ray Dog, Album: X Pack)
Trailer 1 - 2nd soundtrack (Title: Lineage, Artist: VideoHelper, Album: VH048 - Very Many Drama)
Trailer 1 - 3rd soundtrack (Title: Parallel Universe, Artist: X-Ray Dog, Album: X Pack)

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:57 am

Awesome. Any source for the beginning of Trailer 3? I don't think anyone has ever asked about that on Reddit, but if someone here knows it would be good to document it.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 pm

I know it's cringy, but I'm absolutely addicted to the Gogeta vs Broly track. The announcer, the chanting, the remix of Blizzard toward the middle. It's just straight hype and I absolutely can't wait to hear it over my local theatre's speakers blasting during a dimension shattering battle that I never thought we would ever see

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 am

I heard every track.
and dawg, I just couldn't deslike one of them all, I've loved them all! seriously Sumitomo really surpassed the bar in this movie! I'm so glad, I'm really happy, he finally could understand that we need characters themes variations just as Kikuchi did, loved all the themes he did in the tracks, I could recognize themes for Freeza, Broly, Goku, Gogeta, and a theme for the Broly's rage transformation? idk, I just say they are phenomenal, and common, this is not true you know, the Announcer (I prefer to call it as vocals) was a excellent idea! what is cringe here?? I never saw anything like it in any other soundtracks from Dragon Ball, the vocals giving the hype was phenomenal and creative, along with the awesome instrumental remix of the refrain from "Blizzard", my favorite tracks until now are "Bardock's Scatter" "Gogeta vs Broly" and "I'm Kakarot', they fit so well, I try to guess, since that this movie they really wanted to make everything different, the animations, and fights, Sumitomo heard this idea and wanted ti make a totally different soundtrack??? because seriously, his soundtrack for this movie sounds something from another world compared to his soundtrack in Kai 2014 (which is my least favorite Sumitomo soundtrack pack for DB), I never really care very much to Sumitomo's TV Series soundtracks for DB (DBZ Kai and DBS), I just like, hear every time and love, his movie soundtracks (BOG, ROF and DBSB), but in this movie was something different, hope he continue doing so hyping soundtracks like this :)

The only parts of the soundtrack where I got disappointed are two points, one is the use of "Gogeta vs Broly" which is one of my favorites, the track was used very well in the Gogeta vs Broly fight, well, unless you count the part containing the instrumental remix of Blizzard, because in the movie...dawg I really got disappointed XD, the part with Blizzard before I had watched the movie, I was 100% sure it was going to be used in the best part of the fight, but no, it was used in the fokin scene where Chirai and Leemo are running, dawg I really got disappointed XD.

and the second point, well, UNFORTUNATELY THE SOUNDTRACK HAVE UNRELEASED TRACKS!
I have watched the movie two times, and I'm 100% sure, I could hear some different tracks being used! well not totally different tracks, at least alternate versions, I have heard these tracks "The Adventure Begins" "Kakarot vs Broly" "The Anger & Sadness of Broly" and "Gogeta vs Broly" being used in the movie, and they sounds totally different from the versions available in the CD releases, talking about the details, but is just what I could hear and notice in the movie, "The Adventure Begins" have a different ending, "Kakarot vs Broly" have the spaces saying "Broly" removed in the beginning, and a extra space saying "Kamehameha", "The Anger & Sadness of Broly" have the very beginning starting just with the Vocals, but just the Vocals (in the released version have the Vocals and the background music both beginning together), and in some parts were used different instruments from the released version, and then "Gogeta vs Broly" I couldn't hear very much, the sound effects really are so much high and hadn't let me hear very much the track, but from I could hear, the calm part contaning the instrumental remix of Blizzard (before that intense battle part), is repeated two times, the first fragment is exactly sounds like the same as in the released version, but the second fragment which is the repeat sounds a bit different, with some disco audio??? then the intense part contaning blizzard, was just in the cinema where I had watched the movie, or this part really sounds more orchestral in the movie's version? the intense blizzard part in the released version sounds more eletronic and audible, but in the movie sounds like more orchestral, with the absence of some background effects?, and then to finish this track, the ending also have repeats of the spaces saying "Gogeta", but in the released version the spaces saying "Gogeta" are just in the beginning.

I really don't understand, why these tracks in the movies are different from what we got in the CD releases? I wonder if they are alternate versions and the versions in the CD releases are unused in the movie, or if, actually, the versions in the movie are the original ones! and the versions in the CD releases are just fabrications? Idk, I'm just sure the versions used in the movie aren't the same in the CD releases!
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 am

Rafa Fast wrote:I really don't understand, why these tracks in the movies are different from what we got in the CD releases? I wonder if they are alternate versions and the versions in the CD releases are unused in the movie, or if, actually, the versions in the movie are the original ones! and the versions in the CD releases are just fabrications? Idk, I'm just sure the versions used in the movie aren't the same in the CD releases!
Sometimes, certain cues in film scores get revisions late in the production or are simply older variants the director chose over newer ones, resulting in an edit/mix that's different from what gets inserted into the official soundtrack.

The differences in the earlier cues aren't as big of a loss for me, but the OST version of "Broly VS Gogeta ~ Theme Song" now kind of feels rather unfinished, given how much more chanting there is accompanying the film mix (not just the extra "Go Broly!" and "Gogeta!" yells, but there's also more "HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH!" chants peppered throughout).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Captain-Sora wrote:
Sometimes, certain cues in film scores get revisions late in the production or are simply older variants the director chose over newer ones, resulting in an edit/mix that's different from what gets inserted into the official soundtrack.

The differences in the earlier cues aren't as big of a loss for me, but the OST version of "Broly VS Gogeta ~ Theme Song" now kind of feels rather unfinished, given how much more chanting there is accompanying the film mix (not just the extra "Go Broly!" and "Gogeta!" yells, but there's also more "HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH! HAH!" chants peppered throughout).
this actually really makes sense, the CD release was made before the movie's official release date in Japan (unless you count that special release in November), since the CD release was entirely released just in December 12, but the CD was already made and previews of the tracks could be heard in the transiction from November to December.

Probably is the same case thta has happened with Battle of Gods, some tracks in the Theatrical version are totally different from the Normal version of the movie, but was just Sumitomo editing the tracks that were already existent.

I'm not sure if the tracks in the CDs are unfinished, but with your comment maybe I can forwent the idea that they are alternate versions, or is what you had said, or they are fabrications, well, I will wait for the true answer...
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 pm

"Bardock Falls" is such an incredible track. Might just be my favourite track from Sumitomo. In my top five, at least. This entire soundtrack is leagues better than his work on the previous two films, and that's the result of him just getting better and better while composing the Super anime series.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:29 am

Speaking of descrepencies between the OST and the movie, I noticed that in the beginning of Gogeta vs. Broly, in the OST the "announcer" yells "SUPAAAA BROLYYYYYY", but in the movie it's "CHOOOU BROLYYYYYYYY".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash