I miss Kageyama...

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

I miss Kageyama...

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:08 am

Today I've been listening to his various DBZ songs, and man.. his contribution to this franchise is straight amazing. I've never heard of a singer being THIS dedicated to one franchise. And somehow, all of them are just so great to listen to.

I like the 'next-gen' vocalists like Tanimoto and Hikawa plenty too, but honestly, none of them will have this amount of amazing songs on their profile.

I also don't know why the developers stopped including him in videogame intros. Waiting for his new songs was a part of the yearly charm. Was it the Yamamoto incident? Sucks, since Kageyama had nothing to do with it. Them constantly using Chala as the OP since like Battle of Gods, feels pretty stale already.

Anyone knows if Mr. Kageyama ever said anything about his DBZ-career, post 2011? I know he is a member of JAM Project and doing great in it, but I miss him in Dragon Ball so much..

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: I miss Kageyama...

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 am

“I've never heard of a singer being THIS dedicated to one franchise.”

AHEM, I’d like to stop you there, Ichirō Mizuki and Mazinger exist, so much dedication (since the 70’s) that he even made JAM Project (yes, the same one Kageyama is in) to do the intros for that series in his stead, not to mention coming back to do the classic intro for the new Infinity movie.

But yea, Kageyama is pretty much linked to DBZ, there’s a reason he’s called “Mr. DBZ”. That and his video game songs also being spectacular. Don’t think he’s done one bad entry for it either.
However, just as the name suggests, the only anime series in DB he was ever part of was the Z series. Of course, video games are a different story but that’s video games.

Anyways, him being with Lantis and not Nippon Columbia means that he basically can’t do Toei stuff anymore, not even in Super Sentai for the main company like he used to (Changeman, Jetman, and insert songs for later shows). Not just DB.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 am

It's funny that he can act for Toei, just nit sing for Toei.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:51 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 am It's funny that he can act for Toei, just nit sing for Toei.
Record label shenanigans.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Its a real shame. New Kageyama songs was one of my favorite parts about getting new Z games every year growing up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:02 pm

It really do miss him on Dragon Ball. Tanimoto and Haikawa are really great successors but I still want new Kageyama songs. JAM Project's new album The Age of Dragon Knights is really good, if too stylistically similar across the album.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 amEverything you said
You don't have to flex on them, they specifically said "I've never heard of X", not "There has never been X".

But yeah, I'm insanely grateful for Kageyama's contributions to the 'Z' era of Dragon Ball. The Legend of Dragonworld CD is jam packed with his 10/10 contributions and is one of my favourite music collections as a result.
If I could just mention one thing that made me a touch sour, I just wish he went out on something like Gokuu and Friends Return as opposed to Raging Blast 2. But beggars can't be choosers.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Rory wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 amEverything you said
You don't have to flex on them, they specifically said "I've never heard of X", not "There has never been X".

But yeah, I'm insanely grateful for Kageyama's contributions to the 'Z' era of Dragon Ball. The Legend of Dragonworld CD is jam packed with his 10/10 contributions and is one of my favourite music collections as a result.
If I could just mention one thing that made me a touch sour, I just wish he went out on something like Gokuu and Friends Return as opposed to Raging Blast 2. But beggars can't be choosers.
Good point there, I just think the anison emperor needs more mention here and there, especially in a thread about the prince of anison.

True, RB2 has the stink of Yamamoto’s plagiarism all over it, to the point I wouldn’t be surprised if Battle of Omega was also somehow plagiarized. The thing even featured additional Stratovarius rip-offs and even some other metal band.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 am

As far as I'm aware, Kageyama was good friends with Yamamoto, they contributed numerous times. So the whole Yamamoto debacle left a bad taste on Kageyama's mouth, for sure. Thus he decided to also leave the franchise due to not wanting to continue without Yamamoto. I read this somewhere during my recent researches of Dragon Ball music, but I didn't get the link, so I apologize for the lack of source, but you guys are welcome to research too.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:47 pm

^
This

Plus, you have to realize that Toei stopped hiring Kageyama once DBZ ended in favor of having generic pop songs for better money-making. The only reason it felt like he never left is becuz Yamamoto wanted him, Kūko, and Yuka to sing songs for the videogames he was working on. If not for Yamamoto, the last new DBZ song we'd've heard Kageyama sing would've been the ending theme of the 13th DBZ movie.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Kai, Super and Movies #18 and #19 all used professional 'singing first' vocalists for their songs. Toei still uses 'real singers'.
She/Her
bisexual milf

mancini

Post by mancini » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:15 am

I love Mindpower ki song in DBZ. I won't able to forget his soft and adorable voice..

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am

DNA wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:32 am As far as I'm aware, Kageyama was good friends with Yamamoto, they contributed numerous times. So the whole Yamamoto debacle left a bad taste on Kageyama's mouth, for sure. Thus he decided to also leave the franchise due to not wanting to continue without Yamamoto. I read this somewhere during my recent researches of Dragon Ball music, but I didn't get the link, so I apologize for the lack of source, but you guys are welcome to research too.
That's what I said here before. I also pointed out that they would never hire Kageyama for TV series unless they move the program to a different timeslot because it's Columbia Japan who pays for the music used in anime shows aired in the Sunday morning timeslot on Fuji TV. Kageyama left Columbia Japan about a couple of decades ago, so there's no reason for them to bother to hire him. As a natural consequence, they choose to promote their in-house artists instead.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am

Makes sense, from the company's viewpoint. It's all about merchandising. Pity, I quite enjoy Kageyama's singing and honestly really like Yamamoto's track arrangements.

Glad to see you're still around, kei17.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm Kai, Super and Movies #18 and #19 all used professional 'singing first' vocalists for their songs. Toei still uses 'real singers'.
Is that toward me? If so, I was just saying that after 1996 January 31, Toei went with the then-new trend of having upcoming singles as the "theme songs" to their DB shows (so, just Dragon Ball GT), which lasted until 2009 (mainly becuz they stopt producing new DB content for 12 years) . But I wasn't saying anything about "real singers" or "fake singers"... Zard was legendary! And Blue Velvet is my favorite Dragon Ball song (regardless of whether or not it counts).

kei17 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am I also pointed out that they would never hire Kageyama for TV series unless they move the program to a different timeslot because it's Columbia Japan who pays for the music used in anime shows aired in the Sunday morning timeslot on Fuji TV. Kageyama left Columbia Japan about a couple of decades ago, so there's no reason for them to bother to hire him.
I don't understand, tho, why for DBGT they had music by Zain Records, B-Gram Records, and Pony Canyon.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm
kei17 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am I also pointed out that they would never hire Kageyama for TV series unless they move the program to a different timeslot because it's Columbia Japan who pays for the music used in anime shows aired in the Sunday morning timeslot on Fuji TV. Kageyama left Columbia Japan about a couple of decades ago, so there's no reason for them to bother to hire him.
I don't understand, tho, why for DBGT they had music by Zain Records, B-Gram Records, and Pony Canyon.
Things seem to be a bit different when it comes to prime time shows. Maybe they wanted to bring a change to the series and chose to tie up with Zain Records as a result of the success in Slam Dunk.

Also it's worth noting that the anime department of Nippon Clumbia split off as Forte Music Entertainment in '92, but went bankrupt in '96, when GT started. Although DB related albums and singles were sill being released by Columbia during the Buu arc, Forte Music started to release their own albums at the same time. There is a rumor that there were some troubles between Columbia and Forte Music (not specifically about the DB franchise.) Also I've heard that there had been some kind of a conflict between Columbia and Monolith (a music group with Kenji Yamamoto and his co.,) thus they quit the franchise at the end of the Android/Cell arc.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:30 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 am
linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm
Things seem to be a bit different when it comes to prime time shows. Maybe they wanted to bring a change to the series and chose to tie up with Zain Records as a result of the success in Slam Dunk.

Also it's worth noting that the anime department of Nippon Clumbia split off as Forte Music Entertainment in '92, but went bankrupt in '96, when GT started. Although DB related albums and singles were sill being released by Columbia during the Buu arc, Forte Music started to release their own albums at the same time. There is a rumor that there were some troubles between Columbia and Forte Music (not specifically about the DB franchise.) Also I've heard that there had been some kind of a conflict between Columbia and Monolith (a music group with Kenji Yamamoto and his co.,) thus they quit the franchise at the end of the Android/Cell arc.
Honestly, it's a damn shame all that went down; ZAIN clearly had no interest in releasing GT's score, which is an utter travesty in my mind. Not that Columbia did all that well releasing DB and Z music, but at least you can get a decent chunk of it... GT, the only music we have is the movie score. :(
Though I guess if it hadn't been for ZAIN, GT probably wouldn't have had the artists involved that it did? So... I guess it's a give and take.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:31 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 amThings seem to be a bit different when it comes to prime time shows. Maybe they wanted to bring a change to the series and chose to tie up with Zain Records as a result of the success in Slam Dunk.

Oh, wow! I didn't know any of that! Thanks for the history lesson, Kei! :D