Can we talk about the Funimation Movie Soundtracks?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

P-Dot5XG

Can we talk about the Funimation Movie Soundtracks?

Post by P-Dot5XG » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:45 pm

I mean not in any way of the background music, that was done beautifully.

I'm talking about the featured bands that where thrown in like Disturbed, Pantera, Nonpoint, Deftones, etc.

But, my main concern in this thread is Movie 8: Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan, and Movie 10: Broly, Second Coming.

Out of every DBZ film, those two have to have the most obscure bands I've ever heard of.

Bands like Tendril, Haji's Kitchen, Doosu, Slow Roosevelt, besides Pantera almost non of those bands have seen any stardom besides being local in Texas.

Tendril has 1 album.

Slow Roosevelt has 3 albums.

Haji has 2 albums. (3 if you count the Vince Mullens Demos for the Broly movie) (He was also working on Gravity Pool for the movie as well they only made 1 demo album)

The Pointy Shoe Factory has 1 EP (course they're still around they go by the name Pinkish Black now)

Doosu has 4 albums.

And, I.O.N (the band from Movie 10) has only 13 songs.

Why am I bringing this up, it's because I listened to all of this bands, and I just have to ask with the popularity of DBZ during that time, why didn't these bands ever receive more recognition then they what they originally got?

I'd like to discuss this, if You don't then that's perfectly fine.

GhostEmperorX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Can we talk about the Funimation Movie Soundtracks?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:00 pm

I don't think they should have even put songs by random bands there in the first place, it's literally equivalent to the current (and improper) convention that many modern anime do where they take an unrelated song no matter how good (or bad) it is and then slap it on as an OP or ED. I simply prefer it if a song that's included was made for (and actually belongs to) the show/movie and isn't just something off the radio.

P-Dot5XG

Post by P-Dot5XG » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:25 pm

My only complaint is that some of the music just doesn't fit in certain scenes.

Especially scenes where in Japanese Score there is complete silence, and it just has the character's talking or fighting, or when it's thrown in where it doesn't belong.

Like you mean to tell me in Cooler's Revenge your gonna play Dust for Life over Gohan getting Senzu Beans?! Excuse me!! It doesn't fit!!!

Another thing is that the music (from whatever band that playing) would be louder then the dialogue.

Making it harder to understand what's being said.

Ringworm128
I Live Here

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:10 am

I've never really had a problem with the "real bands" scores since the DBZ movies always had less plot than the main series, and you were pretty much just watching 40-60 minutes of characters punching each other. Drowning Pool and Disturbed music works just fine for that.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

GhostEmperorX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 pm

Ringworm128 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:10 am
I've never really had a problem with the "real bands" scores since the DBZ movies always had less plot than the main series, and you were pretty much just watching 40-60 minutes of characters punching each other. Drowning Pool and Disturbed music works just fine for that.
Though it was the tracks made for the movies in the original that were then eventually used for the show.

Kermo

Post by Kermo » Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 am

P-Dot5XG wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:25 pm
My only complaint is that some of the music just doesn't fit in certain scenes.
100% agree with you, it's like a complete dis balance...
Property for sale in Italy https://tranio.com/italy/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:53 pm

I really didn't like it. Forget the fact that those songs belong on a DBZ movie lines clumps of hair belong on chocolate cake; that's a given. But really, doing that dates the material. It's like when you watch a 90's movie and you hear that typical, cheesy 90's music. I just feel like a custom soundtrack preserved a series more than if you can point to music that's obviously from a particular point in time.

That, plus putting metal or whatever, just... sucks. It's so cheesy and comes off as very fan-ish. It felt like something that a 13-year-old would throw together for YouTube (or on a Flash site back in the day).

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 pm

In terms of the Broly movies, I would at least argue that the heavy metal music fits better than it does in Movies 4 and 5, given the nature of Broly as a character. Don’t get me wrong, the music shouldn’t have been there to begin with, but if FUNimation was really insistent on giving the heavy metal treatment to any of the DBZ movies, the first two Broly movies (more so the first) at least kind of make sense. Funnily enough, there was even some heavy metal sounding music in the the most recent movie (GO BROLY, GO GO!).

Anyway, I would also say that the fact that FUNimation picked some pretty obscure bands for the Broly movies does kind of work in their favor. Hearing bands like Disturbed, Drowning Pool and Deftones in a Dragon Ball movie just makes it seem too much like an AMV. It’s less distracting when they go with bands that no one has ever heard of.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Probably those bands were chosen because they were cheap talent Funi could easily contact from their Texas HQ.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

GhostEmperorX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat May 30, 2020 12:01 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:53 pm
That, plus putting metal or whatever, just... sucks. It's so cheesy and comes off as very fan-ish. It felt like something that a 13-year-old would throw together for YouTube (or on a Flash site back in the day).
WittyUsername wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 pm
Hearing bands like Disturbed, Drowning Pool and Deftones in a Dragon Ball movie just makes it seem too much like an AMV.
Now that you guys mention it, what Funimation did then with the movies was pretty much the forerunner to AMV’s.