HOL' UP! The Plan '93 soundtrack is BALLER AS HELL! HOLY CRAP why are you heathens sleeping on this masterpiece?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

HOL' UP! The Plan '93 soundtrack is BALLER AS HELL! HOLY CRAP why are you heathens sleeping on this masterpiece?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Hello, everyone. Have you heard the good word of "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE 1993 PLAN TO ERADICATE THE SAIYANS SOUNDTRACK IS SO GOOD HOLY SHIT"?

You may see it referred to as the Dragon Ball Z Gaiden soundtrack too. Just look up the Gaiden Theme, and tell me you're not sold -- and then, I will know that you are a dirty liar.

Seriously, how are people not raving about this constantly? It's bloody awesome. Very unusual music for Dragon Ball, but I dig the shit out of it.

Go spin this one up and then use this thread to gush about how rad this music is.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

No9tro

Re: HOL' UP! The Plan '93 soundtrack is BALLER AS HELL! HOLY CRAP why are you heathens sleeping on this masterpiece?

Post by No9tro » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm

You mean this theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDs8YgH7gTg
If so then yeah that does sound pretty good! Is it from the strategy guide OVA or the Bandai Playdia game? I can't imagine the track playing for this long in the OVA

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: HOL' UP! The Plan '93 soundtrack is BALLER AS HELL! HOLY CRAP why are you heathens sleeping on this masterpiece?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:39 pm

No9tro wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm You mean this theme?
Yes.
No9tro wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm If so then yeah that does sound pretty good! Is it from the strategy guide OVA or the Bandai Playdia game? I can't imagine the track playing for this long in the OVA
Both. The OVA was essentially a video of a perfect play-through of the Playdia game. (Missing all the various branching paths and alternate endings)

And no, these tracks generally weren't played in full. As with most of Kikuchi's and Tokunaga's pieces for the series, these tracks were cut up and used as appropriate throughout.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:15 am

Hah, I was thinking of making a thread about this OST myself but you beat me to it.
The composer caught the heart of DB and these tracks fit the adventurous theme of Gaiden. He did a really good job there.

It's worth noting that "We Gotta Power" - the second opening to DBZ, was also done by him. You can even hear similar instruments at some parts.

Stridster

Post by Stridster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:15 am Hah, I was thinking of making a thread about this OST myself but you beat me to it.
The composer caught the heart of DB and these tracks fit the adventurous theme of Gaiden. He did a really good job there.

It's worth noting that "We Gotta Power" - the second opening to DBZ, was also done by him. You can even hear similar instruments at some parts.
Did he also work on the instrumental version? Because that one sounded almost exactly like the gaiden soundtrack.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Stridster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm Did he also work on the instrumental version? Because that one sounded almost exactly like the gaiden soundtrack.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The vocal version still uses his instrumental after all.

Stridster

Post by Stridster » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:56 pm
Stridster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm Did he also work on the instrumental version? Because that one sounded almost exactly like the gaiden soundtrack.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The vocal version still uses his instrumental after all.
I know, but the instrumental one is somewhat different to the regular one, and comes across as more of a remix than anything, so I kinda figured that another composer might be involved with that one.
I'm not much of a music guy though, so maybe it was a stupid question to ask. :)

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:51 am

Obviously, because it was done by Keiju Ishikawa, composer of not just We Gotta Power but many other vocal songs in DB.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am

I also would like to ask about the Famicom/NES versions of these tracks. Which came first? The original ones, or were the NES ones the originals and the OVA remade them? Thanks

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am I also would like to ask about the Famicom/NES versions of these tracks. Which came first? The original ones, or were the NES ones the originals and the OVA remade them? Thanks
I would guess the Famicom/NES tracks were created based off Keiju Ishikawa's tracks composed for the OVA/Playdia version, but I have no facts to back this up.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:26 am

Let me try to clear some confusion, if you guys don't mind:
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyaj-in Zetsumetsu Keikaku for the NES was released on August 6th, 1993.
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku • Jōkan VHS was released on July 23rd, 1993.
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku • Gekan VHS was released on August 23rd, 1993.
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden – Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku CD Album was released October 21st, 1993.
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Shin Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Chikyū-Hen for the Playdia was released on September 23rd, 1994.
  • Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Shin Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Uchū-Hen for the Playdia was released on December 16th, 1994.
  • Dragon Ball: Super Saiya-jin Zetsumetsu Keikaku on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 was released on November 2nd, 2010.
So as you can see by the dates, first it was the NES game, then the VHS were released as a guide for the NES game (and not as a perfect run for the Playdia game released a year later). The album was next, containing the tracks from the VHS video guides/OVAs. Finally a new version was released for the Playdia as an interactive movie with branching paths. Some of the footage from the video guide was used.
Lastly, the whole story was remade and released as a special feature with the Raging Blast 2 video game.

By the way, each version has a slightly different story, including the NES game which has plot points that were never re-adapted, like Pilaf making an appearance.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:45 pm

DNA, perhaps you typoed, but you have it listed that the first VHS came out before the game.

Also, I don’t know if that even matters. They were clearly made at the same time. It probably IS most likely that Ishikawa was the composer for the game, and that his music got chiptuned by someone else for the actual game.

So Ishikawa composed:
-The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OST
-We Gotta Power (H.S.C. 15)
-Dragon Ball no Densetsu (DBZ Movie 10 single)
-Eight tracks on his “Music Fantasy” album
-Saraba Namida Yo (H.S.C. 17)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:05 pm

Huh, that is odd indeed. I followed Kanzenshuu's movie guide dates. Although Wikipedia lists the VHS has having both been released on September 6th, 1993, which makes sense. A month after the game, a month and a half before the album.
But no, no typo there, just inconsistent dates I guess.

SsjRavi

Post by SsjRavi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 am

No9tro wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:26 pm You mean this theme?
If so then yeah that does sound pretty good! Is it from the strategy guide OVA or the Bandai Playdia game? I can't imagine the track playing for this long in the OVA
Oh wow totally forgot about this theme, soo nostalgic!
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:39 am

I have played the game on Emulator some time ago and man, it was pretty hard! But the NES card games were fun, I remember that the Android arc DBZ game adapted parts from the movies, so the Cooler Squad appeared on map. It was like Legacy of Goku, but with Legendary Super Warriors gameplay. I think that this ''Gaiden'' game was hardest from all the NES games.

Remember downloading this video called the ''Lost OAV'' from Kazaa back then and nobody really knew what it was, until I have read about it here on Daizex. It was VHS rip, pretty bad quality and some parts of this score were pretty dope.
It is just that the synth music really doesn't age wellvin comparison to the orchestral score and Ishikawa's synth brass is really noticeable
and sounds cheesy now in 2020, that is why in my opinion, the original We Gotta Power didn't age well, as it is using synths and drum machine instead of live instruments like Cha-la Head Cha-la, except for that guitar solo part. That is why I like the german version better, as it is basically a rock cover from 2002: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirOv1773gg - but that synth orchestral intro isn't that better.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 pm

I Really Like it, sounds so 90's for me, love it, reminds me of Sega CD and Sega Saturn games musics.
"The Planet Darkness" is my personal favorite, for me it would be cool to hear a remix of this ost with modern instruments
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.