Download the unreleased Kikuchi tracks here

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zestanor
Regular

Download the unreleased Kikuchi tracks here

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I'm gonna assume this is a special case and linking to the torrent is fine this time, since this would in no universe compete with a properly mastered stereo release of the tracks.

(piracy website removed)

New link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I put these on YouTube a while ago and many people asked me for a download. Spread the word to your friends who might be interested.

Here is the "readme":

Hello!
Contained here are most, if not all, of the tracks from Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z which have not ever been released on CD, or have otherwise not been made available by resourceful fans.

The composer of most of these trakcs is Shunsuke Kikuchi 菊池俊輔. Some of the tracks appear to be stock music. I ("Zestanor" from Kanzenshuu and "TheZestanor" from Youtube) created these files by isolating the music/effects streams of the 5.1 Surround Sound English dub released on DVD. Using the episode music listing guide from "kenisu" of https://kenisu.webs.com/dragonballbgm.htm to know when to expect each piece of music, beginning at episode 1, I scrubbed through every episode ripping clean bits and pieces of each track as I went along. I assembled these pieces into a whole tracks so that sound effects, whenever possible, cannot be heard, and so that the entire track plays from beginning to end. In the frequent case that one of these tracks has sound effects in it, to the best of my memory I checked every episode of DB and DBZ to find cleaner bits and couldn't find any.

I did this project in late 2013 to early 2015 and uploaded the tracks onto my Youtube channel. At the time I attempted to label each track according the official numbering system given on the CDs, but I have omitted these numbers in this compilation because it was always speculative and didn't add anything. Instead, I've grouped the tracks broadly by story arc or film, and labeled each one according to the titles made up by kenisu on his guide.

For those interested, the folder labeled "First and Second Arcs" corresponds to those pieces I had tentatively sorted as A,B,C,D,F,G,H,I J, and the first batch of M numbers. The folder labeled "Red Ribbon part 1" contains the M100s, "Red Ribbon part 2" contains the M300s, "Piccolo Daimao" contains the M500s.

The three film scores were assigned numbers in the M200s, M400s, and M600s respectively.

The DVD release of film 1 has an echo of the dub voices in its music/sfx track, and this can be heard in several of these files.

The DVD release of film 2 does not have a 5.1 dub, so I have left several of those tracks as raw audio snippets from the Japanese version.

The unreleased music of DBZ, both the show and the films, has already been made widely available, but I included one unreleased track from it that does not seem to be out there.

If you want to use this music in your own works there is no need to credit me because I did not compose it. The exception is this: I do not want you to do anything that makes it look like you yourself performed this difficult project. If you want to upload your favorites as compilations to Youtube, or something, please link to this Torrent, and I will consider that sufficient acknowledgement. It is not necessary to upload individual tracks to Youtube because I have already done this.
Last edited by Zestanor on Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rook8z8

Re: Download the unreleased Kikuchi tracks here

Post by Rook8z8 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 pm

Can you upload it to google drive or mega?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri May 29, 2020 10:05 pm

I'd like to keep everything in one place. Also I don't really trust Google Drive. a piracy website is perfect for stuff like this.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 am

Sorry; while I’m OK for the moment entertaining a link to unreleased material, it cannot be with a link to the site you’ve provided, whose sole purpose is piracy. If you can find another method as already recommended, perhaps we can try again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat May 30, 2020 10:19 am

^Knew that was going to happen.
Also, why not just use some other file sharing site where you don’t have to wait or depend on how many people have it downloaded?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat May 30, 2020 10:55 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 am Sorry; while I’m OK for the moment entertaining a link to unreleased material, it cannot be with a link to the site you’ve provided, whose sole purpose is piracy. If you can find another method as already recommended, perhaps we can try again.
Fair enough; I understand that the site is associated with piracy. I'll look into Google Drive.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:19 am ^Knew that was going to happen.
Also, why not just use some other file sharing site where you don’t have to wait or depend on how many people have it downloaded?
I'll try GDrive, but independent of a discussion of piracy, filesharing is an inherently more efficient way to share information over the internet than hosting. For what it's worth, I always "have it downloaded" since I created the files, which is sufficient for the system to work.

Anyway, I'll try to get it on Google Drive today. It's only 500 MB so it shouldn't be too bad.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm

You are the MAN! This is great!!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:54 am

Zestanor wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:23 pmThe composer of most of these trakcs is Shunsuke Kikuchi 菊池俊輔. Some of the tracks appear to be stock music.
You wouldn't happen to know which ones, would you? (Or anyone.)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 am

Terez wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:54 am You wouldn't happen to know which ones, would you? (Or anyone.)
on kenisu's site, they point out what tracks were and weren't stock music, so i'd check there. off the top of my head, i know that the track named "The Big City" (that scene is so cute lol), is stock music.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am

Yeah, I have all the ones noted by kenisu, but are there others that are stock music? For example, the music on the TV in episode 2 was marked as "possibly irrelevant" by kenisu, and it was not included in Zestanor's collection (unless I am missing something, which is possible), so I assume those are classified as presumed stock. I just worry there are others not noted by kenisu.

PS: For example, I am wondering about all of the sax melody stuff. Is there any reason to think it's stock music? It feels to me like it could be.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:36 am

The sax melody seems to be Kikuchi, since there are two variants of it, and the main variant clocks in at one minute, like most of his DB tracks.

The possibly irrelevant music on episode 2: to be honest I totally skipped over it from the start (December 2013) and since that would have been in the very first batch, it may well be that since I hadn’t quite gotten into a groove yet, I should not have skipped it.

I looked at those scenes again and can confirm that I skipped those tracks because they are too short/partial to be Kikuchi (I did the entire project under the assumption that mostly everything was Kikuchi/made purposely for DB; the existence of stock tracks was confirmed a little later with the boogaloo track) and because they never show up again. My standards for what made the cut were high enough to rule out this kind of track.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks for weighing in on the sax stuff! I've just started transferring kenisu's work to the ongoing Kanzenshuu wiki so I might have more questions later.

Another thing from the early stuff that's worth pointing out: your rip of "A DragonBall" is probably just SFX; I think kenisu accidentally applied that one to the scene where Bulma first enters Goku's house in episode 1, because a chime from the Kikuchi track is used earlier in the episode when Goku first notices the 4-star ball glowing before he meets Bulma, and kenisu did not note that at all. (The same SFX is overlaid on that Kikuchi chime.) Every other instance of "A DragonBall!" on kenisu's table is Kikuchi, though. The one in episode 3 is a short doorbell-like chime that is not extracted from either version of "The DB's Are Glowing". That same distinctive track is used at the end of episode 4, and again in 42 and 48, which kenisu marks with lots of question marks, and again in 55, 60, 106, 109, and 110.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:17 am

Yep, I’m pretty sure you’re exactly right. I never changed it because meh, lol.

It’s great that this is being documented on the wiki.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:55 pm

Did you rip it by chance? The one in 106 is really clean, at 21:28 on the dbox.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm

You mean one of these A B

Can be done more cleanly?

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:14 pm

No, those are perfect. I was talking about this one, the one that kenisu called "A DragonBall!" (in every instance except that one in episode 1 that you ripped). I cut it from the Blue Bricks and idk why I bothered because there's no dialogue and I can't separate the music from the wind sfx. I do think that is the cleanest version, though; maybe you could do a better job. I thought about using OBA but that would probably just make the wind more noticeable. Ripping BGM is not something I have much experience with; I was going to do it for the DB BGM for my own reference and I was not looking forward to it, and then I found your rips and I was beyond relieved.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 pm

Another note for Zestanor: you've swapped the titles for "Take Chase!" and "Pachinko".

This is slow work; I noticed the error when cataloguing episode 9. I checked several episodes to be sure; both of them are used consecutively in episodes 11 and 13 and that's probably where the confusion happened.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:45 am

It's too late to edit my post, but you've apparently also swapped "The Spying Spider" and "Dark Alley Murder". (Sorry if these notes are annoying; I can keep them to myself if you prefer.)

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:33 am

Terez wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 pm Another note for Zestanor: you've swapped the titles for "Take Chase!" and "Pachinko".

This is slow work; I noticed the error when cataloguing episode 9. I checked several episodes to be sure; both of them are used consecutively in episodes 11 and 13 and that's probably where the confusion happened.
Oh yeah, I even fixed that on Youtube really recently but I forgot to fix it in the files. I think.

Swaps like that have to have happened “in post” because I relied heavily on kenisu’s listing and titles to locate each instance of each track. This is a case of where the downloads represent a slightly rougher version of the project than Youtube. Actually the reason I was for years hesitant to upload the files directly was because I knew there were errors/duplicates/junk files mixed in and I had no idea where they were. The good news is that I think I got more accurate as I continued the project. ... Also kenisu’s titles got better and more descriptive as he continued his project, which certainly helped.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 am

I admit I haven't really studied your YT. I'm glad it exists because people ask about these things all the time and it's good to be able to just link them a video (which I have already done), but I use the audio files for my own reference (thanks again!) and it didn't occur to me that they'd be different.

I found a cleaner rip (?) of "The DBs Are Glowing" version B and I'm still not sure it wasn't actually released.