Any DB character themes that are as prominent as Piccolo’s from the original?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Any DB character themes that are as prominent as Piccolo’s from the original?

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Captain-Sora wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:47 am A good deal of the Dragon Team have their own leitmotifs (Goku himself actually has multiple motifs, as Kikuchi would start associating him with other ideas after Makafushigi Adventure was dropped), but due to how most of those themes originate from the film scores, they don't get featured as prominently as the ones introduced within the TV series itself.

The people responsible for the show's music placement were more focused on matching the tone of scenes rather than maintaining that thematic tapestry Kikuchi had woven, so a lot of these reoccurring ideas from the movies wind up either barely getting utilized at all or get placed in scenes that have nothing to do with the characters they're associated with.
Exactly :clap:, if i'm not crazy: Lunch's theme was dropped after DB Movie 2 (which was actualy the only appearance of her motif). Yajirobe's theme was dropped after Piccolo Daimaoh arc too. Bulma's theme was never seen again after her first Romantic Ageru Yo motif in the first Anime Score, and after her second motif in DB Movie 1 too. Yamcha's theme disappeared after Movie 1 too, it just appeared for once in a fast track in Movie 3. Tenshinhan's theme...appeared in two tracks from Movie 3 and then was dropped too, the same for Chiautzu. Oolong had a theme in the first Anime score, but it couldn't see the day's light in the next ones.
Well..when Z came out, it just remained 4 Themes, obviously Goku's first theme (Makafushigi Adobencha), which stood out until Z Movie 2. Kame Sennin's theme, it was used for once when he is drunk in Broly Movie 1. Piccolo's theme was the lead one, appearing for the last time in Z Movie 9. And Kuririn's theme, it has appeared briefly in Z Movie 11.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Any DB character themes that are as prominent as Piccolo’s from the original?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 am You are right, "Saiyan Blood" despite being sung by Vegeta's voice actor and its lyrics being about Vegeta, it isn't a Vegeta's theme. Despite "Solid State Scouter" being played in two moments where Bardock is being badass and it going down as being acknowledged or at least related to Bardock character (as it isn't played anywhere else), it isn't a Bardock theme.
I believe he meant “character motifs” that get at least one or two alternate versions in some fashion rather than insert songs.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:54 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 am You are right, "Saiyan Blood" despite being sung by Vegeta's voice actor and its lyrics being about Vegeta, it isn't a Vegeta's theme. Despite "Solid State Scouter" being played in two moments where Bardock is being badass and it going down as being acknowledged or at least related to Bardock character (as it isn't played anywhere else), it isn't a Bardock theme.
I believe he meant “character motifs” that get at least one or two alternate versions in some fashion rather than insert songs.
That's Exactly what I'm talking about :thumbup: but Grim already got the point.
Also, actually insert songs (that aren't OP themes) can also be used as motifs too actually, this happened with "Blizzard" (Daichi Miura) in DBS Broly, two instrumental versions of the song were used, in the Gogeta fight and in the ending of the movie.
"Pledge of Z" (Momoiro Clover Z)" from Fukkatsu no F got a lot of instrumental variations throughout the movie (you can hear a full version in the ending)
"HERO Kibou no Uta" (FLOW) also got it's intrumental arrangement in Battle of Gods.

Unfortunately that's it, I don't remember of Kikuchi arranging a instrumental of any Insert Song in DB and Z.

Edit: If I'm not crazy, There's actually a different Arrangement of "Solid State Scouter", with changed melody and instruments, in one of the videogames, I'm just can't remember which one at the moment :|
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:54 pm Also, actually insert songs (that aren't OP themes) can also be used as motifs too actually, this happened with "Blizzard" (Daichi Miura) in DBS Broly, two instrumental versions of the song were used, in the Gogeta fight and in the ending of the movie.
"Pledge of Z" (Momoiro Clover Z)" from Fukkatsu no F got a lot of instrumental variations throughout the movie (you can hear a full version in the ending)
"HERO Kibou no Uta" (FLOW) also got it's intrumental arrangement in Battle of Gods.
They can be, but they don’t originate as such. It’s a lot better IMO to make motifs that don’t spring from the OP, or sometimes even incorporate a motif into either an OP, ED, or insert song (though this only happens if the same composer works on all of those).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:25 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 pm They can be, but they don’t originate as such. It’s a lot better IMO to make motifs that don’t spring from the OP, or sometimes even incorporate a motif into either an OP, ED, or insert song (though this only happens if the same composer works on all of those).
I know it's ur opinion, I agree and disagree with you, I agree, because yeah, it's better not push the OP themes into the score to serve as a character's leitmotif, and I disagree because for me Makafushigi Adventure as Goku's first theme in the series was a Master Play by Kikuchi, but it'x easy to understand, it was the first OP in the entire franchise, it was needed requests of instrumental arrangements of the theme for Kikuchi.