What do you prefer?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Witty User Name
Banned

What do you prefer?

Post by Witty User Name » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 pm

To listen to the music of the movies in the movies themselves, or do you think they fit better in the TV series?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: What do you prefer?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 pm To listen to the music of the movies in the movies themselves, or do you think they fit better in the TV series?
Definitely in the movies themselves, they are employed far better there as they were actually made for them so the placements aren’t off by any means. In the show they can be placed in less than satisfactory ways.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:12 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:27 pm
Witty User Name wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 pm To listen to the music of the movies in the movies themselves, or do you think they fit better in the TV series?
Definitely in the movies themselves, they are employed far better there as they were actually made for them so the placements aren’t off by any means. In the show they can be placed in less than satisfactory ways.
I agree, the music in the movies sounds better.

SaiyanEpic

Post by SaiyanEpic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:29 am

I'm fine with both but if I had to pick one, yea > movies

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:52 am

I was surprised by this money saving trend in Japan when I have noticed that in Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece, the music from the movies is recycled for the series and I really loved the music in the 7th One Piece movie about the mechanical island...
It fits the movies better, as it is written for them, but I really like to watch the series as you can enjoy the music not just in that particular movie.
For example, I don't like the Broly movies, but the music is awesome and I really have the music connected to battles in Buu arc in this way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzX8YAD1wpo.
And because of that I really miss the Z not being long enough to use more music from the Movie 13 (or continued to GT), because that is the final and top work of Shunsuke Kikuchi in the DB series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efgx-5ylZqQ.
Also, it is nice to make a songspotting game out of this, as I was rewatching the Namek arc, there was lot of music from Movie 2 and 3, the former which has pretty sinister and ambient soundtrack and later in Buu arc, there was this melancholic track that caught me completely off guard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHqmorqXa4.

In the end, I think that I probably prefer the music alone itself, no matter what medium! :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:16 pm

I don’t think it matters. Just because it was composed for the movie doesn’t mean it can’t work for the show.

“The Battle is over” cue in Z movie 1 is great there but it was also great when it was used when Goku begged Krillin to spare Vegeta.

The O Fortuna sounding piece in Sleeping Princess sounds cool in the movie but it also worked well when Freeza was impaling Krillin

It’s not like the music was Mickey Mousing the movies. Kikuchi’s score is fluid

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am

Movies, but I personaly think there are moments in the anime where the movies ost fits very well
"Bongo Leaves Smugly" for when Piccolo reveals his plans for the world.
"The Mifan Empire" For Adult Goku's First Appearance.
The famous use of "Dead Zone is Summoned" for when Goku turns into SSJ for the first time.
"Cooler Transforms" for when Vegeta turns into SSJ for the first time.
"Cooler's Multiplicity" for Perfect Cell's First Appearance/Body overview.
"Goku, Invincible Fight Spirit" and "Give me Power" for Vegeta's "You are Number One" Speech.
And "Son Family Victory" for the series ending.

"Demon Battle" for Goku vs ChiChi was a good one for me too, but in this case the track just got extended a lot of times, so it doesn't count at all.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:44 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:52 am in Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece,
Naruto
You do realize that the Shippūden movies (non-canon much like the DBZ ones are, who would’ve thought) have a completely different OST from the show (and from each other) in all entries of them right?