Wow. The GT OST.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Wow. The GT OST.

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:26 pm

One thing I don’t understand about GT is why are the Fights so much slower than all other Fights in DB History even Heroes and the Lack of Hand to Hand combat

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:15 pm
SSJGAffleck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 pm
I definitely prefer the Menza soundtrack for all of its faults.
Really? Why's that? (This is not supposed to be antagonistic, but I can see how it could be read that way. I am genuinely curious about your opinion)
I quite like the guitar tones Menza uses, I was kind of "eh" on the score at first, it was actually reading Derek Padula's interview with Menza that gave me a new appreciation for it(BTW until I read that interview I had no clue he was related to Megadeth's Nick Menza, that's pretty cool).
Huh, I didn't know about the Megadeth connection, that's rad! While the guitar parts of the score are cool I find it too drum-heavy and it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball the way the Japanese score does.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 am It honestly really annoys me that Toei brought in Kenji Yamamoto for Kai instead of getting Akihito Tokunaga (who composed GT).

Tokunaga's work on Dragon Ball is, in my opinion, simply the best music Dragon Ball has ever had.
Most definitely. I love that Tokunaga had that grand adventure feel of Kikuchi but still felt like its own thing. If Tokunaga ever had another chance to score anything Dragon Ball I'd be all over it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:38 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 am It honestly really annoys me that Toei brought in Kenji Yamamoto for Kai instead of getting Akihito Tokunaga (who composed GT).

Tokunaga's work on Dragon Ball is, in my opinion, simply the best music Dragon Ball has ever had.
Most definitely. I love that Tokunaga had that grand adventure feel of Kikuchi but still felt like its own thing. If Tokunaga ever had another chance to score anything Dragon Ball I'd be all over it.
Yeah.

If you ask me, Tokunaga is the closest thing we've ever had to a true successor to Kikuchi.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 pm

The only songs that stood out on GT's OST were the Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku leitmotifs, outside of them nothing in GT OST is particular great.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Speaking of this reminds me how much I hate how wild things go with the score from the dub

Going from Kikuchi to Johnson(or Wasserman) to Faulconer to Menza is such a musical mess. The complete shift in music style from the 2005 dubbed episodes of Z to the episodes dubbed in 1999-2003 is especially irritating because it’s suppose to be one series and you’re going from Johnson’s somewhat cinematic low key sci fi popcorn film music to Faulconer’s faux edge new wave rock music in the middle of a fight!

And even though Tokunaga scores Dragon Ball GT like a modern 90s fantasy series compared to Kikuchi’s Shaw Brothers inspired score they’re just similar enough in feel it’s not so jarring.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 pm Speaking of this reminds me how much I hate how wild things go with the score from the dub

Going from Kikuchi to Johnson(or Wasserman) to Faulconer to Menza is such a musical mess. The complete shift in music style from the 2005 dubbed episodes of Z to the episodes dubbed in 1999-2003 is especially irritating because it’s suppose to be one series and you’re going from Johnson’s somewhat cinematic low key sci fi popcorn film music to Faulconer’s faux edge new wave rock music in the middle of a fight!

And even though Tokunaga scores Dragon Ball GT like a modern 90s fantasy series compared to Kikuchi’s Shaw Brothers inspired score they’re just similar enough in feel it’s not so jarring.
It takes some getting used to for sure.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Vijay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:59 am Explain what is good or great abt GT. Would like to hear it out.
1. Fast pacing, almost like watching manga animated. Although i admit i'd like to see some filler slice of life content.

2. It has a perfect ending with possibly the best idea for last arc that could happen

3. It partially brought back early DB feeling

4. Very subjective, but it brough back kid Goku, kinda connected to what i said above

5. SSJ4, enough said

6. It's a single and well connected story. Other series had a lot of random arcs, while in GT every arc is connected to the other with Baby saga happening in a point that is even hard to notice as story switches from one arc to another without any skips.

7. Baby was well written villain for this franchise and perhaps the only one with explainable motive that wasn't brought out of ass.

8. It wasn't afraid to change things. It gave completely new designs to most of characters, including changing Vegeta's hairstyle. It wasn't afraid to change main cast as well. It also developed characters of Trunks and Goten making them unique and able to exist without each other. So even if you didn't like every change, they at least took a risk and tried to make GT a different series than Z.

9. Unlike Super, it really felt like a sequel story rather than a filler, even if in reality it was completely opposite. It's also connected to previous point as Super almost didn't change anything about characters and cast which made it feel like a filler to Buu saga. It didn't really feel like a different series that much and let's remember DB/Z division was made only for anime, yet DBZ still felt like completely different series somehow. So in short: you knew you are not watching DBZ, but a different series.

10. It gave us female fighter as main protagonist, even if her role in fights wasn't as big as it could be.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:02 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm

People really oversell this. The very first arc of GT resembled the first arc of Dragon Ball innnnn spaaaace but that’s it. Dragon Ball essentially dropped the “Gotta find them all” after that one arc in favor of being a series about fighting. Goku as a child is the only thing that really feels early Dragon Ball
7. Baby was... perhaps the only one with explainable motive that wasn't brought out of ass.
Not really.

Pilaf- Wanted world domination

Red Ribbon Army- Wanted world domination and also the leader secretly wanted to be taller

Tao Pai Pai- Kills for money

Crane Hermit- Just kind of a dick also wanted to avenge his brother’s alleged death

Piccolo Daimao- Literally the evil embodiment of Kami. He’s evil by virtue of existing.

Raditz- Wanted to recruit his brother for a high paying job later wanted to kill his brother for being a disgrace

Vegeta- Wanted eternal life to overthrow the tyrant that destroyed his home world and become unstoppable

Freeza- Born into an intergalactic crime empire

Cyborgs- Created by Gero to kill Goku for destroying the Red Ribbon Army

Cell- Designed by Gero to seek perfection and be the ultimate warrior

Boo- Evil demon doesn’t need much motivation he’s created to be evil.

and let's remember DB/Z division was made only for anime, yet DBZ still felt like completely different series somehow.
It really doesn’t though. It feels like a natural progression from Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball and Z only feel completely different if you watch the first arc of Dragon Ball and nothing else and then watch Z

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:02 pm People really oversell this. The very first arc of GT resembled the first arc of Dragon Ball innnnn spaaaace but that’s it. Dragon Ball essentially dropped the “Gotta find them all” after that one arc in favor of being a series about fighting. Goku as a child is the only thing that really feels early Dragon Ball
That's why i said partially. But last arc also had a bit of that feeling with dragon ball hunting and some silly villains.
Not really.

Pilaf- Wanted world domination

Red Ribbon Army- Wanted world domination and also the leader secretly wanted to be taller

Tao Pai Pai- Kills for money

Crane Hermit- Just kind of a dick also wanted to avenge his brother’s alleged death

Piccolo Daimao- Literally the evil embodiment of Kami. He’s evil by virtue of existing.

Raditz- Wanted to recruit his brother for a high paying job later wanted to kill his brother for being a disgrace

Vegeta- Wanted eternal life to overthrow the tyrant that destroyed his home world and become unstoppable

Freeza- Born into an intergalactic crime empire

Cyborgs- Created by Gero to kill Goku for destroying the Red Ribbon Army

Cell- Designed by Gero to seek perfection and be the ultimate warrior

Boo- Evil demon doesn’t need much motivation he’s created to be evil.
Forgive me. What i wanted to say by "explainable" is that he had understandable motive that in some degree justified his actions. It wasn't just about being pure evil or wanting domination, or being mentally ill like Zamasu. It was a revenge he kinda deserved. Gero perhaps also just wanted a revenge, but the difference was RR army was bad while Tuffles were not. Vegeta's motive was questionable, as he was evil on his own and his race wasn't peaceful either.
It really doesn’t though. It feels like a natural progression from Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball and Z only feel completely different if you watch the first arc of Dragon Ball and nothing else and then watch Z
I disagree. Story took completely different direction since Saiyan saga. Goku was revelaed to be an alien and story was focused on aliens, space, time travel and even gods. Before that, Piccolo was just a "demon", in Z he was introduced as another alien. Z also introduced SSJ transformations and completely different style of fights. Also for the first time, Goku wasn't always in spotlight. He also became a husband and a father. DBZ didn't focus on tournaments either.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:01 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm
Vijay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:59 am Explain what is good or great abt GT. Would like to hear it out.
1. Fast pacing, almost like watching manga animated. Although i admit i'd like to see some filler slice of life content.

2. It has a perfect ending with possibly the best idea for last arc that could happen

4. Very subjective, but it brough back kid Goku, kinda connected to what i said above

5. SSJ4, enough said

6. It's a single and well connected story. Other series had a lot of random arcs, while in GT every arc is connected to the other with Baby saga happening in a point that is even hard to notice as story switches from one arc to another without any skips.

7. Baby was well written villain for this franchise and perhaps the only one with explainable motive that wasn't brought out of ass.

8. It wasn't afraid to change things. It gave completely new designs to most of characters, including changing Vegeta's hairstyle. It wasn't afraid to change main cast as well. It also developed characters of Trunks and Goten making them unique and able to exist without each other. So even if you didn't like every change, they at least took a risk and tried to make GT a different series than Z.

9. Unlike Super, it really felt like a sequel story rather than a filler, even if in reality it was completely opposite. It's also connected to previous point as Super almost didn't change anything about characters and cast which made it feel like a filler to Buu saga. It didn't really feel like a different series that much and let's remember DB/Z division was made only for anime, yet DBZ still felt like completely different series somehow. So in short: you knew you are not watching DBZ, but a different series.

10. It gave us female fighter as main protagonist, even if her role in fights wasn't as big as it could be.
I practically disagree with everything you mentioned. But it's wokey.

1. Fast-pacing😏😅 BSDB Arc was slow AF while whatever fast going-on in Baby & Super 17 Arc were rushed without proper buildup, consequences or even explanations. Ex: Uub becomin Majuub, then becomes biscuit. 17 gets brainwashed, fights Z fighters, fusion, kills Gero, then Myuu, sibling fight, dies😂 Btw, Shadow Dragons Arc was draggy AF turning DBGT into monster-of-the-week routine

2. Ending was calculated af. GT wanked Goku so hard he literally died and became Shenron😂it's ending was just a reflection of it. Nothing of next-gen or futuristic or even happy-ending. Just flashbacks compiling every DB & Z clips connecting it to GT hoping fans wud forgive GT's sins😅

3. No it didn't. Early DB was fun & comedic. GT brought these feelings: boredom, juvenile & wtf

4. DB Kid Goku despite being innocent has some practical skills that saved Bulma & Oolong from various ordeals. GT Kid Goku wud give DBS Goku a run for his money confused over "cake-banana-cake"

5. I'll give you that. SSJ 4 was great aesthetically alone. Execution, fight, feats all fall flat on its face

6. Not at all. I don't get how u cud tell it's connected well when both story & tonal shifts occurs abruptly from comedy to action midway in BSDB Arc-Baby Arc

7. Baby written well. Fair point. But ultimately lacks originality as dude's merely Cell & Buu ripoff😂😅

8. Change? Vegeta's hair & moustache alone is a sin GT can never atone for eternity. Goku lost his charm, tanned & made Trunks fckin babysitter 😏 wtf

9. I give you that. I agree completely. It's a sequel. And DBS is trash

10. I think ur talkin abt Pan cuz 18 was just there like for 2 episodes. Was hardly a fighter besides getting Goku & Trunks into trouble most of the time

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 am

Banduck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:15 am I think the soundtrack has too little variety. Half of the tracks are dan dan instrumentals.
But it is definitely better than the DBS soundtrack.
Really? Not only is the Menza soundtrack even more repetitive than the JP soundtrack, with an even worse "varriations of the theme song" problem, but even its tone is painfully one note and repetitive, and especially during the Black Star DB arc doesn't fit the show at all. Every single song is "bADAsS"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:58 am

IMO Baby and Zamasu both hit similar notes as villains: They start with a clear motivation and seem to actually have a justification for their actions (Saiyans are evil and killed the Tsufurujins so they need to die/mortals are self-destructive, barbaric and evil so they shouldn't have the power they do), then they both go off the rails and become complete hypocrites (willing to wipe out the revived Tsufurujin species just for fun/willing to kill every other god in the multiverse and be the only one).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 pm I disagree. Story took completely different direction since Saiyan saga. Goku was revelaed to be an alien and story was focused on aliens, space, time travel and even gods. Before that, Piccolo was just a "demon", in Z he was introduced as another alien. Z also introduced SSJ transformations and completely different style of fights. Also for the first time, Goku wasn't always in spotlight. He also became a husband and a father. DBZ didn't focus on tournaments either.
Look at any long running series and compare its first season to like it’s fifth season. It’s gonna feel way different. Revealing Goku and Piccolo are aliens (the latter was telegraphed as such in the final arc of original Dragon Ball anyways) doesn’t make it a completely different show. Z stopped focusing on tournaments because after Goku won there’s not much else to do with the concept.

There’s far more of a shift within the original Dragon Ball then there was from DB to Z because Toriyama pretty much got its tone down by Piccolo Daimao arc if not by the 22nd Budokai

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 am
Banduck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:15 am I think the soundtrack has too little variety. Half of the tracks are dan dan instrumentals.
But it is definitely better than the DBS soundtrack.
Really? Not only is the Menza soundtrack even more repetitive than the JP soundtrack, with an even worse "varriations of the theme song" problem, but even its tone is painfully one note and repetitive, and especially during the Black Star DB arc doesn't fit the show at all. Every single song is "bADAsS"

A big problem with the Menza score as well as Faunconer and Wasserman’s is its just wall to wall music as dictated by Funimation’s then higher ups so there’s just a lot of filler music.

I think the Johnson score was allowed to have scenes with no music iirc

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 am
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 pm I disagree. Story took completely different direction since Saiyan saga. Goku was revelaed to be an alien and story was focused on aliens, space, time travel and even gods. Before that, Piccolo was just a "demon", in Z he was introduced as another alien. Z also introduced SSJ transformations and completely different style of fights. Also for the first time, Goku wasn't always in spotlight. He also became a husband and a father. DBZ didn't focus on tournaments either.
Look at any long running series and compare its first season to like it’s fifth season. It’s gonna feel way different. Revealing Goku and Piccolo are aliens (the latter was telegraphed as such in the final arc of original Dragon Ball anyways) doesn’t make it a completely different show. Z stopped focusing on tournaments because after Goku won there’s not much else to do with the concept.

There’s far more of a shift within the original Dragon Ball then there was from DB to Z because Toriyama pretty much got its tone down by Piccolo Daimao arc if not by the 22nd Budokai

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 am

A big problem with the Menza score as well as Faunconer and Wasserman’s is its just wall to wall music as dictated by Funimation’s then higher ups so there’s just a lot of filler music.

I think the Johnson score was allowed to have scenes with no music iirc
If it did, they were exceedingly rare. Even the Faulconer score had a couple of brief moments without any music, but Johnson's score was just as wall-to-wall as the other Z scores by FUNimation.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 pmIt is just objectively the best animated Dragon Ball series. Even if it’s writing is arguably weaker than the previous series (and depending on you ask weaker than Super) it just has the best animation of the 4.
Oof. Can't agree with that at all. I think GT is probably the most consistent in terms of animation. As in, it maintained an average quality for longer stretches. But the best animated? Uh... no. OG Dragon Ball, Z and Super kick GT's ass in that department.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:22 am

Man, I really can't stand it when people be going off topic in these threads... :problem:

But anyways, ON the topic, I definitely agree. GT's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, some of the best music within the franchise. There's really no way not to love it.
Caulifla best girl! :)

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:19 pm

As boring as GT can be...the OST is pretty amazing.

DAN DAN is the true successor to Cha-La Head Cha-La. It's an Opening that promises you the romance of adventure.

To bad about the actual show.

Underscore_Johny

Post by Underscore_Johny » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Yeh, it's pretty amazing, it certainly captures the exploration aspect of GT very well, and it's pretty consistent too. What I like in particular are the five variations of Dan Dan used throughout the score, they all sound different but at the same time follow the same pattern very well (Gotta love the SSJ4 theme). It's absolutely criminal in my opinion that the score was never officially released.
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:19 pm DAN DAN is the true successor to Cha-La Head Cha-La. It's an Opening that promises you the romance of adventure.
Very true, it's personally my favorite opening in the series. You'd never think that a romance song would fit in with Dragon Ball but it does!
My YouTube channel (for all things related to Dragon Ball music): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8u5b- ... hh72ZLKsQ/

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm

On the note of Dan Dan being a successor to Cha-La-Head-Cha-La, I feel like Don't You See is the ultimate Dragon Ball ending theme. It's almost impossible where it doesn't make me tear up listening to it. As sung by Zard (RIP Izumi Sakai), it stands as the most beautiful ending theme of all of Dragon Ball, reminding me of my loved ones and that life and loved ones must be treasured while you have them. It feeds into one of GT's strengths, which was change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rax18IghI
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.