Can someone explain to me this score removal in the "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle" dubs?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Can someone explain to me this score removal in the "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle" dubs?

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 am

Haya! I think that's my first topic XD
Well, what I'm talking about, this is actually a old issue, but I just had the idea of asking a reason for it now.
If I'm not wrong, in any international version of Dragon Ball Movie 2 "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle", two BGMs are missing, one when Bulma gets trapped in the chair to get her blood extracted, and the one when Lucifer says "Resurrect Sleeping Princess!" Before the Countdown for the Laser starts.
When I watched the movie for the first time I thought it was just a audio error from the Brazilian dub (I watched it for the first in the Brazilian dub), but actually it seens these two BGMs were removed from all the international versions of the movie, they are just in the Japanese dub, call somebody explain for me why that happened please? It was a audio mixing mistake? Something purposeful?
Here are the tracks I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/pQkbMf_sF4A
https://youtu.be/8FsFfBKoHc8

Fun fact: it seens that Movie 2 is the only movie without a Stereo Release, maybe this have something to do with these two tracks being removed?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Can someone explain to me this score removal in the "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle" dubs?

Post by Zestanor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks for linking to my vids! ;)

I don’t think stereo matters. The music and effects is all mono.

It might be have something to do with the fact that those two tracks are slight (SLIGHT! I coukd only hardly tell a difference) variations of the usual grand choral piece. May they were last minute insertions.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Can someone explain to me this score removal in the "Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle" dubs?

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 am

I've thought about that for a while in the past, but it actually doesn't make any sense imo
"The Tree of Might" theme in DBZ Movie 3 had several arrangements, and some of them featured the exactly same chorus section, but the entire score of the movie can be normally heard in the international releases.
I feel that the case of DB Movie 2 wasn't something on purpose, I believe it was a audio extraction error, which is the reason for why the movie is just in mono for me, but that's a interesting point, Zen :^
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:14 pm

They removed these tracks because they contain singing in Japanese. A lot of dubs around the world avoided these particular tracks, too. You're from Brazil, right? Check out the PT-BR dub of DBZ episode 28. M424EXT is muted when Piccolo dies. It's the same as the insert songs: They don't want to let the viewers to hear songs in a foreign language. Toei seem to provide foreign licensees with M&E tapes without any Japanese songs and attach separate tapes containing only such omitted songs so that you can choose whether you insert them. Cloverway/Intertrack chose to replace M424EXT with the instrumental version in DBZ episode 27 and simply left it silent in the next episode for some reason.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm

What were the lyrics to m424ext anyway? It's seldom (if ever) translated in subs.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm What were the lyrics to m424ext anyway? It's seldom (if ever) translated in subs.
They're really hard to catch even for native Japanese speakers like me, but at least I can hear 祝え今宵 (Iwae koyoi, celebrate tonight) in the beginning.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 pm

kei17 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:14 pm They removed these tracks because they contain singing in Japanese. A lot of dubs around the world avoided these particular tracks, too. You're from Brazil, right? Check out the PT-BR dub of DBZ episode 28. M424EXT is muted when Piccolo dies. It's the same as the insert songs: They don't want to let the viewers to hear songs in a foreign language. Toei seem to provide foreign licensees with M&E tapes without any Japanese songs and attach separate tapes containing only such omitted songs so that you can choose whether you insert them. Cloverway/Intertrack chose to replace M424EXT with the instrumental version in DBZ episode 27 and simply left it silent in the next episode for some reason.
WHAT???????? There are actual japanese words in M424EXT, M425EXT and M434EXT?????? Dawg, now that was totally unexpected, now we know what "EXT" means! Thanks a lot Kei! And yes I remember of M424EXT and the Insert songs being muted in my native dub, this happened with the complete PT-BR dub of OG DB and in Z (with the only exceptions being Tamashii vs Tamashii, and Tenkaichi Gohan and Piccolo San Daisuki in Movies 1 and 2) I never thought about it, again, thanks a lot :wave:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 pm And yes I remember of M424EXT and the Insert songs being muted in my native dub, this happened with the complete PT-BR dub of OG DB and in Z (with the only exceptions being Tamashii vs Tamashii, and Tenkaichi Gohan and Piccolo San Daisuki in Movies 1 and 2) I never thought about it, again, thanks a lot :wave:
IIRC, in the PT-BR dub, Wolf Hurricane (DB episode 87) and Mind Power Ki (DBZ episode 139) are also inserted by switching to the Japanese audio. Tamashii vs Tamashii doesn't play on DBZ episode 184, so you must've seen a fan edit.