Kikuchi vs Bach

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Kikuchi vs Bach

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 am

I was on Youtube today browsing some of Bach's pieces when I came across his Ricercar a3 (Musical Offering)

When it started playing, I noticed how similar the subject melody was to what I believe is Kikuchi's second "Shenron" theme:
M656
M805
M1002

Do you think Kikuchi arranged Bach's melody? Or do you think this is one of those little coincidences?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: Kikuchi vs Bach

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm

I'm not a musician and have no experience with musical theory outside of trying to pick up the harmonica (which is a pretty simple instrument) so there's a good chance I don't have an ear good enough to hear what's going on.

But they don't sound similar to me. Kikuchi doesn't sound like he's copying anyone or anything specific. To me it comes off as reusing time tested techniques to create the desired atmosphere. In fact, in the second piece you linked to my mind immediately went to the Who Am I? number from Les Mis. Specifically the way the same notes repeat without ever hitting a resolution so that there's this sense of being lost in thought.

I will say that from around 1:45-2:40 in the Bach piece sounds like rpg music I've heard a thousand times lol So people are definitely ripping him off.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 pm

From what I know, he cited a phrase from Bach's Little Fugue.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 pm From what I know, he cited a phrase from Bach's Little Fugue.
Hmm, I don't think he did. The "ending" phrase from Kikuchi you sent sounds more like a short variation/derivative of the General Blue theme than a quote of Bach's fugue.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 pm

I have noted Bach's influence Kikuchi's music before. In fact a piece I just posted cover of today has some pretty heavy Bach influence I would argue.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:18 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 pm I have noted Bach's influence Kikuchi's music before. In fact a piece I just posted cover of today has some pretty heavy Bach influence I would argue.
Which piece would that be?