Buu arc music (JP) vs pre-Buu arc music (JP)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Champion Vic

Buu arc music (JP) vs pre-Buu arc music (JP)

Post by Champion Vic » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 am

I know it was the same composer but I know after the Cell Saga a bunch of new musical pieces were used to replace the old ones almost as if they intended it as a sequel to Z due to them thinking Gohan was gonna take Goku's place. I personally prefer the Buu sagas music as the song in which Goku turns SS 3 against fat Buu is one of the more memorable parts. As well as the recap of the episodes. What do you prefer ?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Buu saga music (Jap) vs pre Buu saga music (Jap)

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 am

I appreciate the fact that Kikuchi composed new tracks for the TV series at the Buu saga. They should’ve had him compose some TV tracks for the Cell saga, logically speaking.

While I don’t have a direct answer to the question, I prefer M7xx to M17xx because it has more diverse set of leitmotifs.

EDIT: also, the song that plays during Goku’s SSJ3 transformation is M1109, which came from the Lord Slug film and used as far back as the Freeza saga
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Buu arc music (JP) vs pre-Buu arc music (JP)

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:30 pm

I liked the title card music.

Otherwise my favorite tracks used in the Boo era were ones made for Galaxy at the Brink

M1606
https://youtu.be/5ucVre0ELeA

And

M1623
https://youtu.be/8Rkdy5tVxNg

Imo Kikuchi’s best work for the tv series was the Red Ribbon arc, Piccolo Daimao, and the Saiyan arc

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:30 pm I liked the title card music.

Otherwise my favorite tracks used in the Boo era were ones made for Galaxy at the Brink

M1606
https://youtu.be/5ucVre0ELeA

And

M1623
https://youtu.be/8Rkdy5tVxNg

Imo Kikuchi’s best work for the tv series was the Red Ribbon arc, Piccolo Daimao, and the Saiyan arc
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Although to go along with the title card theme, I love Kikuchi's composition for We Were Angels in general. That was one of the earliest pieces of Japanese DBZ music I heard as a kid.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Champion Vic

Post by Champion Vic » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Yeah me too. I caught it on some Japanese channel that would air it every Sunday 6:00 untill 7:00 PM. At first I thought it was weird in comparison to the Funimation version which airing on toonami.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Champion Vic wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:18 pm Yeah me too. I caught it on some Japanese channel that would air it every Sunday 6:00 untill 7:00 PM. At first I thought it was weird in comparison to the Funimation version which airing on toonami.
I was at the mall as a kid, in an outlet store (can't remember the name) that sold a bunch of Japanese anime merchandise, including plenty of Dragon Ball Z, along with GT. There was a small TV showing a Kid Buu episode in Japanese. I remember being mystified because it was in a different language, the music and opening/ending were totally different, and because to my knowledge those episodes hadn't aired in the US (this was circa 2001 I think). I also remember perusing some old geocities website where an instrumental version of "We Were Angels" played. :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Champion Vic

Post by Champion Vic » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:50 pm

I recall a lot of of websites based on a certain charecter with their theme songs called for example the shrine of trunks or the shrine of Marik ishtar. A popular instrumental was tapions Melody the Jap version for fan Dragonball Z sites

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I really liked the score for the Boo arc. The only head-scratcher was the music used for Gohan's power-up after old Kaioshin. I really didn't like that. Otherwise, pretty good music.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:39 am

I enjoy the score for the Boo arc (and adding in the pieces for movies 9-13) and the pieces it added. It felt as the Cell arc went on, a lot of those movie 5 and 6 pieces started to get way too much use and it was great to see a new library brought in, much like transitioning from the original series to Z.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:18 pm

But to which score you're referring exactly? The Score composed specifically for the Boo arc, The M1700 score, or the full Movies BGM set that premiered in the arc? Which are several multiple scores? Because the Boo arc used literally every score Kikuchi has ever made for the series, from the first one, A-J score, from the beginning of the OG DB, to his last, M2100, the score for Wrath of the Dragon, but I think I've got it, you're talking about the Specific M1700 score made for the arc, and the M1600 (Bojack), M1800(Broly 2), M1900(Bio Broly), M2000(Fusion Reborn), M2100(Wrath of the Dragon) scores right? And for the "Pre-Boo arc Music", The M700 score made for the Saiyans arc, and the M800(Dead Zone),M900(World's Strongest),M1000(The Three of Might),M1100(Lord Slug),M1200(Cooler's Revenge),M1300(Return of Cooler),M1400(Android 13),M1500(Broly 1), right? If that's it
Well, in the case of the two TV Scores, M700, M1700, I prefer M700 due to it's more expansive musical and thematic variation, but even though I love M712, I think M1700 is better in terms of melancholic music, as for the Movies, I prefer the scores for Movies 1-8, more memorable imo, even though I love the score for Movie 13, I don't count it, they literally just used 4 tracks from it, and it was in the last 2 episodes, but...Movie 8 in fact also can't be considered for the Cell arc, the score for this movie premiered just in Epsiode 191, the last of the arc, the score is much more familiar with the Boo arc, so because of things like this, I think a specification for your question would be better, also, the track that plays when Goku is going SSJ3 is M1109, a track that, as PurestEvil said, premiered much earlier in the series, in the end of the Freeza arc, and it's much more familiar with the Cell/Androids arc.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.